IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2012 Shocks and springs on 2008 ISF

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-13, 06:16 AM
MadCleaner
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sunday, Feb 10 Update

The 2012 ISF lower spring perches are flat in 2012 and not notched. Special Thanks to SexyLexus for providing the photo. So far it looks like the setup should work so I am on for the Monday install!

Last edited by MadCleaner; 02-10-13 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-10-13, 06:29 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ You missed my sarcasm on oil apparently... Good luck on your build
The following users liked this post:
vertex16 (04-26-19)
Old 02-10-13, 07:41 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by MadCleaner

Please be kind enough to let me know why lower spring perches aren't notched in a 2012 ISF?
Because if you want the spring rate to be as linear as possible the spring should be able to wind and unwind as it compresses. This is especially critical in this rear suspension where a side load is placed on the spring in compression due to the very long upper hat that bolts to the fender well. This spring misalignment is another reason I like the consistency of coilovers what push the spring upward and in general provide more shock misalignment because they replace the upper hat.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 02-10-13, 08:17 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

let us know how it all goes! when its time to upgrade the lsd check out my thread o,n it!
Old 02-10-13, 08:19 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

also the lsd makes a huge difference when driving around in slippery conditions....you will definitely notice a difference in daily driving.
Old 02-10-13, 11:46 AM
MadCleaner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FIGS
Because if you want the spring rate to be as linear as possible the spring should be able to wind and unwind as it compresses. This is especially critical in this rear suspension where a side load is placed on the spring in compression due to the very long upper hat that bolts to the fender well. This spring misalignment is another reason I like the consistency of coilovers what push the spring upward and in general provide more shock misalignment because they replace the upper hat.
I agree. I wouldn't say that spring choice on the picture is a good idea on the 2012 shock. you can clearly see that the first coil protrudes pretty far off and is probably designed up to 2011. This is just the thing with aftermarket parts 90 % of the time where one part "fits all". Stock springs have a flat bottom which wouldn't need a notched perch and will not be affected as much during the lateral compression, the perch also spings on the shock body. Springs are shorter than 2008 springs.

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
let us know how it all goes! when its time to upgrade the lsd check out my thread o,n it!
Will do. Do you mind PMing me that thread?

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
also the lsd makes a huge difference when driving around in slippery conditions....you will definitely notice a difference in daily driving.
I had a couple cars with LSD, and its a nice thing to have.

Last edited by MadCleaner; 02-10-13 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-11-13, 03:28 PM
MadCleaner
Driver School Candidate

Default Monday, Feb 11 Update

We did not proceed with the install as planed. The tech was diligent and did some research on his own to get this completed correctly. Not a lot of people would do that and I am fortunate enough he did. It turns out that the rear shock travel is greater than on 2008 ISF so longer bump stops of 2008 will not fit the 2012 shock. Its an easy fix, I opted to have those ordered for $90 from the "stealership' as I don't have the luxury to wait weeks to get them from Sewell. I will update with the correct part numbers later in my 1st post. Also he pointed out that it doesn't seem like 2012 has any rubber spacers between the perch and a spring. Looks like they should be here tomorrow or wednesday, unless they have to be special ordered from Japan (that was the case with 2012 springs).

I was also informed that the springs were softened for the 2012 and the shocks were re valved firmer. That in turn gives you a better ride on the bumps and still gives you improved handling. I already knew this but never the less nice to confirm.

Last edited by MadCleaner; 02-11-13 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-11-13, 04:00 PM
cha7Li3
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I honestly think what he's doing is a good idea. I remember my ride home to Orange County from San Jose after picking up my IS-F there. Granted I did know that it was more stiff going in then the other luxury cars I've driven but Ride quality was harsher then what I thought it would be. My back was hurting every now and then.

For all you guys think that going after market is a better deal its really not. His math makes a lot of sense. I was considering the KW set which from what I heard offers the best ride quality but a set of those costs $2400 while all the parts he listed comes out to $1000. And once its you install the KWs you have to deal with setting how it rides as well as ride height. At least with OEM it's just an install and that's it. I can understand why he wants to go OEM.

As to what other cars I've compared the ride quality, take the 2008 M3. Ride quality was a lot better in that. Heck even Top Gear mention that ride quality was better. The biggest reason why I ended up with the Lexus vs the M3 was cost of ownership. IS-F made more sense.
Old 02-11-13, 04:36 PM
MadCleaner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cha7Li3
I honestly think what he's doing is a good idea. I remember my ride home to Orange County from San Jose after picking up my IS-F there. Granted I did know that it was more stiff going in then the other luxury cars I've driven but Ride quality was harsher then what I thought it would be. My back was hurting every now and then.

For all you guys think that going after market is a better deal its really not. His math makes a lot of sense. I was considering the KW set which from what I heard offers the best ride quality but a set of those costs $2400 while all the parts he listed comes out to $1000. And once its you install the KWs you have to deal with setting how it rides as well as ride height. At least with OEM it's just an install and that's it. I can understand why he wants to go OEM.

As to what other cars I've compared the ride quality, take the 2008 M3. Ride quality was a lot better in that. Heck even Top Gear mention that ride quality was better. The biggest reason why I ended up with the Lexus vs the M3 was cost of ownership. IS-F made more sense.
+1, thats also why I ended up with the Lexus and reliability was a big one for me. Sometimes I wonder if I should have gotten the M3. Hopefully I stop feeling that way after the ride is better.

Last edited by MadCleaner; 02-11-13 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-11-13, 06:26 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kauaian
I am curious...what are you comparing the stock 08 suspension to? I personally don't think the ride is nearly as bad as your making it out to be. Are you tracking your car or is it your daily driven car?

I am also curious if the newer suspension will be direct replacement, good luck! And keep us posted.
Iv had my car for a week now, and before I got it, I was worried about all the reviews and people saying its a harsh ride and stuff. I personally dont think the ride is harsh at all. Is it stiff? Yes. Is it harsher than a normal luxury car? yes, but I expected it to be. I guess Im just used to riding in hard set aftermarket coilovers all my friends have that can chatter your teeth out. idk.
Old 02-11-13, 08:17 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

good stuff mad. this may be something i may be interested in doing one day
keep the updates coming
thanks
Old 02-12-13, 04:59 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Originally Posted by CUTigers
Iv had my car for a week now, and before I got it, I was worried about all the reviews and people saying its a harsh ride and stuff. I personally dont think the ride is harsh at all. Is it stiff? Yes. Is it harsher than a normal luxury car? yes, but I expected it to be. I guess Im just used to riding in hard set aftermarket coilovers all my friends have that can chatter your teeth out. idk.
Thats what I was used to....aftermarket stuff that was stiff as all get out.

When I got in the F, I was like "this is nice and comfy!"
Old 02-12-13, 12:07 PM
MadCleaner
Driver School Candidate

Default Tuesday, Feb 12 Update...

It is officially confirmed from two sources (1SexyLexus and local 2012 ISF, you should have seen sales people staring at me when I crawled under the car to take pictures) that there is no insulators between the spring and the lower perch on any of the 2012 shocks. Go figure why....(I don't know...). It has been engineered by a guy much smarter than me in this particular field so I wont let this get to me.

We are just waiting for the 2012 rear bump stops and will be off to install...
Old 02-13-13, 09:07 AM
MadCleaner
Driver School Candidate

Default Wed, Feb 13...

The Car is in the air getting worked on...keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 02-13-13, 09:18 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

good stuff. when its all said and done and it works out you should post all the parts you needed, the cost and labour cost as well.
I may join you on this for some fun
excellent
oh and dont forget your review

Quick Reply: 2012 Shocks and springs on 2008 ISF