IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2012 Shocks and springs on 2008 ISF

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-13, 10:05 PM
Petshark
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock isn't that bad..... I have bc coilovers and would never think of going back to stock. The ride is 100 times better and I can adjust the ride firmness. Interested to see how this works out for you and what you think of it when it's done. Imo, if you're going through all this work and are really that unhappy with the ride and steering, why not find a 2011 or newer? That way it's exactly how you want.
Old 02-09-13, 04:59 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I don't think anyone is going to convince the OP to go aftermarket or buy a newer ISF. Would most of us get some aftermarket coilovers to improve the ride quality and stance? Yes. Heck, most of us probably don't think the suspension is that bad in the first place. I know that I'd heard so much about how bad the pre-2011 suspension was before I got my car that I was a little worried. Coming from a lowered S2000 though, I find the suspension to be perfectly comfortable in its stock form. Then again, that's just me. The OP has it in his mind that he wants to retrofit a 2012 suspension on his car, and I am interested to see how much the project ends up costing him to be done correctly.
Old 02-09-13, 05:32 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with you VBB I don't think the stock suspension is bad at all! My previous car was a MKIV lowered on KW's and I think the stock F suspension rides better being daily driven. To each his own and its owners choice.
Old 02-09-13, 08:31 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MadCleaner
I dont want aftermarket on my car. ISF is a special car and in my opinion its stock or nothing. Just a personal preference.
Got to respect what the OP wants to do with HIS car. Let us know how it turns out man. Have you thought about getting the LSD as well?
Old 02-09-13, 08:40 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Not a bad idea. I think OP saved a significant amount of money by purchasing an earlier model F, and then putting the later-model parts in. All you would pretty much need is the newer suspension, LED headlights, new tach (probably tough to put in) and LSD. Interested to see how the ride is, although I would never change mine since I'm satisfied with it, and........if it ain't broke don't fix it.....IMO
Old 02-09-13, 10:50 AM
MadCleaner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zapa
Got to respect what the OP wants to do with HIS car. Let us know how it turns out man. Have you thought about getting the LSD as well?
I was thinking about it. One thing at the time though.

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Not a bad idea. I think OP saved a significant amount of money by purchasing an earlier model F, and then putting the later-model parts in. All you would pretty much need is the newer suspension, LED headlights, new tach (probably tough to put in) and LSD. Interested to see how the ride is, although I would never change mine since I'm satisfied with it, and........if it ain't broke don't fix it.....IMO
I bought the car in mid 2010. Got about 60k miles on the stock shocks and 10k of which I had aftermarket Swift Sport springs that I am pretty sure killed my drivers front shock. The car doesnt feel stable anymore at high rate of speeds and is bouncy. Pretty much its broken so I am fixing it .
I could have bought same set up I had (from 08) but why if you could get almost identically looking shocks but retuned.

2013 ISF will have even more refined shocks and different spring rates. Mainly I read that it will no longer have a shock rebound spring anymore for an added comfort in the rear. I am not getting into any details but it seems to be the case. 2013-2012 Shocks were designed by German company named ZF (sachs) unlike 2011. 2011 Shocks are made by Tokico and share same part numbers as 2008 (according to my parts guy). Go figure, maybe the only change on 2011 were spring rates ???? Anyways...
Old 02-09-13, 11:25 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

08 suspension is fine. You need LSD to totally change the car. I believe member "juanca" went throught this already..the rear springs are shorter than the other years. Probably going to have to buy spring, shocks and mount.
Old 02-09-13, 01:50 PM
MadCleaner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
08 suspension is fine. You need LSD to totally change the car. I believe member "juanca" went throught this already..the rear springs are shorter than the other years. Probably going to have to buy spring, shocks and mount.
I bought 4 shocks and 4 springs...everything else is the same part number so that will be reused. I mentioned my parts list in the 1st post. LSD wont make a difference unless you are hauling a$$ out of the turn like a madman,launching your car at the drag strip, or trying to do donuts somewhere.
Old 02-09-13, 02:09 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

I considered springs but after reading up on them it looks like they are only for cosmetics.....I figured body roll would be less but people who have them say that there is no difference from stock. And like you said it was probably the cause for the shocks blowing out. However with coils I think the car handles way better if I recall correctly.
Old 02-09-13, 02:47 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MadCleaner
I bought 4 shocks and 4 springs...everything else is the same part number so that will be reused. I mentioned my parts list in the 1st post. LSD wont make a difference unless you are hauling a$$ out of the turn like a madman,launching your car at the drag strip, or trying to do donuts somewhere.
The LSD makes a huge difference with how the eLSD interferes with handling in a corner. It is one of many improvements that can be done to an 08. For the most part lexus is just now understanding what it takes to build a production performance car and which manufacturing partners can get them there. The changes they have made are the same things things we started back in 2009 to our 2008. Stability also comes from a reduced bumpsteer rear suspension geometry, that is what our MEGA arms and toe links accomplish. Your 2008 can easily be better than the 2012 with a small investment.
Mike
Old 02-09-13, 02:59 PM
MadCleaner
Driver School Candidate

Wink

Originally Posted by FIGS
The LSD makes a huge difference with how the eLSD interferes with handling in a corner. It is one of many improvements that can be done to an 08. For the most part lexus is just now understanding what it takes to build a production performance car and which manufacturing partners can get them there. The changes they have made are the same things things we started back in 2009 to our 2008. Stability also comes from a reduced bumpsteer rear suspension geometry, that is what our MEGA arms and toe links accomplish. Your 2008 can easily be better than the 2012 with a small investment.
Mike
Thats great but LSD wont help me if I fall into a crater on my trip to Boston. I appreciate your efforts in making more of a race car out of the ISF. A lot of people would appreciate it on here. I am more of a guy that goes after stock improved parts. After all new set up on the ISF beat an M3 at the VIR and that has to mean something. I will go after improved OEM parts and share it on here for someone who is in the same boat as myself.

If I accomplish what I am after from the OEM parts bin only then I will consider an LSD and yes, it will be OEM unit.

Please be kind enough to let me know why lower spring perches aren't notched in a 2012 ISF?

Last edited by MadCleaner; 02-09-13 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-09-13, 10:53 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting, and I commend you for trying... Looking to hear your results...

In my 08, I don't mind the shocks too much but it is annoying in city driving in SF and down right harsh. However, having Tien HA's on my Aristo previously and HKS Supermax's D's on my mk3 supra, I can say that this is the softer of all three cars, albit the mk3's and it's accordion like body flex.

I haven't bought coil overs, because #1 I already scrape going in to my parking garage in SF (scrapes the hitch that was installed by the last owner) and #2 I'd rather spend the money on a LSD. I'm still furious that manufactures install this Ediff crap. It's worse then the first versions of drive by wire in mercs....
Old 02-09-13, 11:15 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread makes me laugh... Thousands of $$ on OEM parts to keep the car "stock" - question, what oil are you using??? I hope you didn't upgrade to synthetic!!
Old 02-09-13, 11:57 PM
MadCleaner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zazzn
Interesting, and I commend you for trying... Looking to hear your results...

In my 08, I don't mind the shocks too much but it is annoying in city driving in SF and down right harsh. However, having Tien HA's on my Aristo previously and HKS Supermax's D's on my mk3 supra, I can say that this is the softer of all three cars, albit the mk3's and it's accordion like body flex.

I haven't bought coil overs, because #1 I already scrape going in to my parking garage in SF (scrapes the hitch that was installed by the last owner) and #2 I'd rather spend the money on a LSD. I'm still furious that manufactures install this Ediff crap. It's worse then the first versions of drive by wire in mercs....
+ 1, it is harsh. Not to mention when you lower the car your alignment will be out of whack as well. Take that hitch out! LOL. I didn't buy a 60k car to outfit it with aftermarket components.
Old 02-09-13, 11:59 PM
MadCleaner
Driver School Candidate

Wink

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
This thread makes me laugh... Thousands of $$ on OEM parts to keep the car "stock" - question, what oil are you using??? I hope you didn't upgrade to synthetic!!
It comes with synthetic OEM.

Quick Reply: 2012 Shocks and springs on 2008 ISF