IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

First time track event - Fontana, Autoclub Speedway

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-13, 07:11 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineISF
2:11 is a good time in the F. My best is 2:10. I was running Michelin Pilot Sport All Season with 500 treadwear. Next time need to run a stickier tire I am confident that a pre 2010 ISF can do a 2:00 lap.
why would a pre 2010 isf be quicker? If the 2010+have the LSD and have significantly shorter track times from what I've seen/heard.
Old 02-16-13, 10:01 PM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much does this track day cost. i may want to join,
Old 02-17-13, 07:36 AM
RedlineISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
why would a pre 2010 isf be quicker? If the 2010+have the LSD and have significantly shorter track times from what I've seen/heard.
ERDoc, you are correct a 2010+ F with the mechanical LSD will be faster on a track than pre 2010 model that has only E-LSD. My point was that on this track, with an earlier model F you can probably achieve close to 2:00. A later Model F could possibly achieve time of < 2:00 depending on the driver.
Old 02-17-13, 02:33 PM
RedlineISF
Rookie

Here is a short clip from one of my laps at Cal Speedway.

Last edited by RedlineISF; 02-17-13 at 02:35 PM. Reason: missing link
Old 02-18-13, 02:55 AM
quarius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by allst4r
how much does this track day cost. i may want to join,
First time on the track you'll be in the WHITE (beginners) group, in which you'll have 4 sessions. Cost for beginners I think is about $165 for first timers. Entrance fee just to get to the track is also an additional $10 per person for all spectators and drivers.

http://www.speedventures.com/events/...il.aspx?id=416
Old 02-25-13, 10:27 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Update:

Attended the beginners' session on Feb 23 and it was great. The track is definitely setup for high HP cars on the front straight/oval. This is the only time I am able to go full throttle for 15-20 seconds continuously on the ISF. Top speed on the straight was 145mph before the oval, I'm sure the car can do more, but I am not ready for that yet.

Setup: 2011 ISF, 100% stock. Original PS2's @ 38psi all around.

Brakes were 100% throughout the 15-25 minute drive sessions. There are 4 hard braking points on the track, so plenty of time for brake cooling on each straight. Tires were getting greasy after 15minutes though, but managed to maintain composure with a little less aggressive cornering.

As being my first time out on a track in 15 years, didn't time my laps, just wanted to see what the ISF (or more like my skill level) is capable of on a track environment.

A few pictures from the event in the link below. In car videos coming soon.

http://s578.beta.photobucket.com/use...b%2023%202013?
Old 02-25-13, 03:38 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats! I bet you're hooked! Taking the F out to the roadcourse is the ultimate high.

Your 38 psi tire pressure seems really high for track purposes. Next time lower it to 32 and monitor after every session. As the tires heat up, the pressure inside can also get dangerously high as well.

Did you try traction control "off"? How did your brakes do? I bet they did great. Make sure to check them afterwards. Now can you imagine using lesser brakes just b/c of the dust on the stock ones? I will happily keep my stock dusty pads all-day due to their performance.
Old 02-26-13, 08:29 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Session 1 video:

Session 2 video:

Session 3 video:

Session 4 video:

Last edited by itsmike177; 02-26-13 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-26-13, 08:55 AM
szhark

i am so signing up next time thanks for the vids!
Old 02-26-13, 09:02 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

You are correct, 38psi was a little high, maybe that's why the tires were losing grip after 10 minutes.

No traction control off, just Sports mode + M. Only a few times did the VSC activate, so sports mode threshold is pretty high. I am not ready for driver aids off just yet, still learning how the car behaves (and my comfort limits too.)

As for brakes, they never faded or vapor locked. Strong from start to finish. After reading all the reviews and "brake threads" in the forums here, I will stick to factory pads and rotors. I won't be as hardcore as some of the regular track guys here, so I have no need for 2 piece rotors, Carbotech pads, etc. Factory delivers the best balance of track and street.

Originally Posted by PurduePete
Congrats! I bet you're hooked! Taking the F out to the roadcourse is the ultimate high.

Your 38 psi tire pressure seems really high for track purposes. Next time lower it to 32 and monitor after every session. As the tires heat up, the pressure inside can also get dangerously high as well.

Did you try traction control "off"? How did your brakes do? I bet they did great. Make sure to check them afterwards. Now can you imagine using lesser brakes just b/c of the dust on the stock ones? I will happily keep my stock dusty pads all-day due to their performance.
Old 02-26-13, 10:25 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Very Cool Track and nice Vids! I Love the banked turns/straights! I bet that is a lot of fun!
Old 11-13-13, 10:12 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Went again on Nov 10, videos below:

- No issues with the ISF at all.
- Brakes were consistent throughout the day, no fade. Stock pads and rotors.
- Michelin PSS on all fours, big difference compared to the OEM PS2's in terms of grip and not getting greasy after being heated up.
- Times haven't been posted yet, best time was 2:09 with a passenger.
- 90 miles total, 15 gallons of fuel.
- Engine oil level went down between 1-2mm on the dipstick at days end.

Old 11-13-13, 09:41 PM
RedlineISF
Rookie

Nice videos, looks like you had a great day out there. Glad to hear you liked the Michelin Super Sports on the track.
Old 11-16-13, 12:12 AM
Rbtmatt
Rookie

Originally Posted by blitz_714
This is very fast track u can do 160mph + with the F here, there was an event for socal ISF members a few year back. There are some of us here been to Fontana speedway. The Willow Springs track is a bit more technical auto cross. U going to have a blast !

I went to this track in September, real fun and real fast. Good combination of speed and technical turns. Very hard on brakes! You'll be doing about 120-125 out of the banked turn and then hit the brakes hard for a 15-20mph hair pin!

Speed Ventures is a very nice group to run with. They don't hesitate to pull people off track that are doing stupid %#!%.

Not sure about the 160mph though. I got up to 142 in the banked turn. Even full raced out cars were not even close to the 160 mark. Don't think an F could hit the 160 mark unless heavily modified with an awesome driver.... and even then I doubt it!

I would definitely recommend the track!
Old 11-18-13, 03:43 PM
t1h9o8m6s
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rbtmatt
I went to this track in September, real fun and real fast. Good combination of speed and technical turns. Very hard on brakes! You'll be doing about 120-125 out of the banked turn and then hit the brakes hard for a 15-20mph hair pin!

Speed Ventures is a very nice group to run with. They don't hesitate to pull people off track that are doing stupid %#!%.

Not sure about the 160mph though. I got up to 142 in the banked turn. Even full raced out cars were not even close to the 160 mark. Don't think an F could hit the 160 mark unless heavily modified with an awesome driver.... and even then I doubt it!

I would definitely recommend the track!
Agreed, this is a very fun track if you love high speed. Speed Ventures is very professional with how they run their events. They make sure to address any on track issues to make sure everyone is having a good time.

I think 160 is doable on this track. I was there back in May and was hitting 155 consistently down the front straight while babying the final left hander (the bump mid corner was causing my rear tire to rub the fender).

Definitely a great track for anyone considering the experience.

Quick Reply: First time track event - Fontana, Autoclub Speedway