IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

The "buyer's remorse" thread. What do you wish you'd done differently?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-13, 08:08 PM
SaintLexus
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very good point regarding that this is Lexus' first F. I've thought about the value of this car someday. But that "someday" would be like possibly 20-30 years from now. I.e. certain toyota's from the mid 70's are now worth 30K. I forgot the exact model though. But if Lexus decides not to release a newer IS-F, I bet, even in less than 5 years the value of our vehicle will be crazy. So it's a win-win situation for me whether they release a new version or not. If they do, I'm already contemplating of buying the 2nd generation IS-F and if they don't I'm still satisfied.

No regrets with my F at all we just have to face that fact that there's always gonna be a better deal after buying "anything." I just don't dwell on the $$$ amount and I don't look back.

Lastly...When I make my final decision I always ensure that-"that decision is right!"

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
No regrets here. I would've done the exact same thing, at the exact same time in 2008. Even with all the changes to the first gen IS F, and there have been some significant ones, I don't think I'd even wait for the 2011-12 with the updated LSD and suspension tweaks. There will always be a better factory built version year after year, but that first MY is pretty something special- considering it was Lexus' first F vehicle produced.
Old 01-31-13, 08:27 PM
LO 21
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Murph145
Prob wish I would have gotten a M3 lol. i love my F but just like the M3 more when fixed up.

I also might have thought twice about red but for the price point at the time (9 months ago) and when looking for an 2011 F there were only 3 in a 300 mile radius so my choices were limited lol.

Also wish i would have saved up a few more bucks to get the concave version of my rims from ADV but i was in a rush to get rims on the car and get it modded.

Overall though I guess its a good fun buy
Hey Murph, great looking F! I'm a bit tired now but I'll PM you tomorrow about your wheels. I also love the ADV 10's and have looked at their concave version. I also really like Vossen CV3's or CV7's, but the style and type of wheel between ADV and Vossen is very different. Either way, want to ask you about your buying experience with them. Cheers!
Old 02-01-13, 01:36 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is not doing more research about year to year upgrades. Although at the time I bought my 08 I probably couldn't have afforded it, the 11+ stuff I really love (LED, gauges, wheels, LSD).

But really, my only real regret was bothering with the Borla axle-back. It was fun to get under the car for the first time but I should have just gone cat-back from the get-go.
Old 02-01-13, 05:28 AM
RizOne
Driver School Candidate

Mine was more like sellers remorse. I traded it in for the new M5 but about a month later bought it back. Now I have both the M5 and the ISF. A lot of people mention the GTR on this thread - I have to look into that next.
Old 02-01-13, 05:42 AM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

No regrets as I had a steal of a deal when I bought mine in 2010 with 5K miles in immaculate condition. The perfect storm I guess.

Car has been everything what I expected it to be with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

I am now considering the R35 but my tuner shop buddy is thumbing it down on its reliability
Old 02-01-13, 06:01 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

No regrets, only thing I have done to it has been the rear Fsport sway bar and installed LSD from a 2010 model.

Next is new tires (its time @ 36k), Michelin PSS at 245 in front and keeping 255 rear.

Bought the car for a fun commuter/daily driver.
Old 02-01-13, 07:00 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i regret buying an IS250, I should of just started with the F...
Old 02-01-13, 09:31 AM
2012ISF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I regret getting suckered into the Resist all sealant
Old 02-01-13, 02:02 PM
Petshark
Driver

Originally Posted by Dranom
Buying a car in the rain hides flaws in the paint.
Glad you still love your Isf
Amen to that, definitely will never buy another car in the rain.
Old 02-02-13, 12:03 PM
IsFast3r
Pole Position

Great thread OP! Nice to know my few regrets are the same as other F owners and it seems they mostly are. Originally in 2010 I was looking for an 08 w/ low miles in USB, SFP or MM (in that order) but ended up finding my 08 obsidian with 8k miles for 36k at manhattan lexus so I quickly jumped on it. I still wish I had found the SFP because its gotta be easier to keep clean then black, as I'm sure any obsidian owner can attest to. The white also is a better contrast to the TOM's CF kit that I knew I was going to get while doing all my research. Another regret is the extended warranty, if I had known I could get it cheaper from the CL vendor I woulda went that direction.

Other then that I have no regrets, got the tom's CF kit, Joe Z intake/exhaust almost within the first few mths of owning the car and haven't looked back since. My suggestion for new owners to the F or any car for that matter is get the mods early (if your bank acct allows) so you get the most time and use out of them. Next is to find time to get my PPE headers installed, thats been 6 mths in the waiting.
Old 02-03-13, 11:31 AM
stratman
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I traded in my '09 ISF for the '12 in August of 2012. My only regret, after reading of people getting fully loaded '12s for less than $60k, is not negotiating harder for a lower price as I only got $2500 off the MSRP. It may have been the time of year that I did this transaction or my area (So. Orange County) or the fact that there are so few of these vehicles for sale. What I don't regret is purchasing the '12. It is a great car all around and I am very happy with it. The'09 was nice but I suspect that it had been in an accident though nothing showed up on the Car Fax report and it was Certified Pre Owned (Had paint overspray on the rubber by the front door hinges).
Old 02-03-13, 01:12 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

No regrets here. Waited 6 years, test drove every single year and bought a new one.
Old 02-03-13, 09:40 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Just F Me
I reget not buying the Matador Red because I think that color is now even more rare than USB. USB was cool because it was an exclusive IS F color, but now all the models have it.

Also I wish my transmission didn't go kaput.

Other than that, the car has been great and it will be cool when it hits 100,000 miles soon
I concur. Matador red mica is the best..
Old 03-15-13, 10:32 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I regret that I should have just skipped the IS F and bought a Porsche GT3 and lived off instant noodles...
Old 03-15-13, 11:00 AM
jsl757
Lead Lap

I wish that I ordered a non-sunroof model, I've probably used that feature once.

Quick Reply: The "buyer's remorse" thread. What do you wish you'd done differently?