IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Where and how to wash your F in the winter???

Old 01-24-13, 03:27 PM
FforLife
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where and how to wash your F in the winter???

Hi,
I uasually wash my car at DeltaSonic unlimited times for $25 a month.
Im now a new owner to the F and wonder if the F could do the same without scratching the wheels or dmages??
Thanks guys, yall the best
Old 01-24-13, 03:41 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm.. I hand wash it... in the winter, just like summer.

Hot water from the kitchen and all
Old 01-24-13, 03:46 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i usually take mines to a hand car wash for the winter...summer I wash it myself....
Old 01-24-13, 04:06 PM
FforLife
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ oh boy. I guess I have to take it to the Laser Touch Free wash then $9.00 per wash .. Thanks
Old 01-24-13, 04:42 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I would NEVER let anyone touch my car...even if it is "hand wash". Those guys don't give a crap about your car. they drop the sponge/micro fiber on the floor...who cares...right back on your car it goes.

If you're serious about taking care of your car... www.meguiarsonline.com

Attachment 501046
Here's my 2008...almost no swirls on the paint. You're getting a white car so it'll be easier to manage, but i would do everything possible to wash it yourself if you really wanted to take care of it.
Old 01-24-13, 06:35 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I have an Obsidian ISF, so I have to be somewhat OCD about my car or it will get horrible swirls and look like crap. I say "somewhat" because I know people that are wayyyy more dedicated than I am. Anyway, the first step is to buy Optimum No Rinse (ONR), because it is awesome. Seriously, just look it up online and you'll see what I mean.

I use ONR, two buckets, a microfiber wash mitt, the absorber drying rag and then a microfiber drying towel. Basically I spray my car off with the hose then pull it in to the garage. I fill up one bucket with warm water and ONR, and the other with just clean warm water. I soak the wash mitt in the ONR bucket, then wash one panel at a time, then dry it first with the absorber, then finish with the microfiber drying towel. I rinse out the wash mitt in the clean water bucket, then repeat the process. Wash the wheels last. When I'm inspired, I'll go over the car after a washing with a quick detail spray and wipe.

That's my process anyway.
Old 01-24-13, 06:50 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
I have an Obsidian ISF, so I have to be somewhat OCD about my car or it will get horrible swirls and look like crap. I say "somewhat" because I know people that are wayyyy more dedicated than I am. Anyway, the first step is to buy Optimum No Rinse (ONR), because it is awesome. Seriously, just look it up online and you'll see what I mean.

I use ONR, two buckets, a microfiber wash mitt, the absorber drying rag and then a microfiber drying towel. Basically I spray my car off with the hose then pull it in to the garage. I fill up one bucket with warm water and ONR, and the other with just clean warm water. I soak the wash mitt in the ONR bucket, then wash one panel at a time, then dry it first with the absorber, then finish with the microfiber drying towel. I rinse out the wash mitt in the clean water bucket, then repeat the process. Wash the wheels last. When I'm inspired, I'll go over the car after a washing with a quick detail spray and wipe.

That's my process anyway.
that is pretty much what I do and what I have...ONR baby...i use it as a quick detailer too and clay lubricant. as far as taking it to the hand car wash I understand the risk but its better then taking it to those automatic wash. if you have a self serving wash station i would recommend that to the op but if there is none near you, your either stuck with doing it yourself in the freezing cold or taking it to an auto wash place.
Old 01-24-13, 07:32 PM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FforLife
Hi,
I uasually wash my car at DeltaSonic unlimited times for $25 a month.
Im now a new owner to the F and wonder if the F could do the same without scratching the wheels or dmages??
Thanks guys, yall the best
I do Delta Sonic's unlimited.. its my daily, so Id rather have it looking clean everyday than worrying about hand washing it. As per the rims, they have rubber protectors on the rails so it doesn't scratch. However, I once got on top of the guard a little and when my wheel slid down it got a nick about the size of a dime on the lip of my rim. I was pissed, but the convince outweighs the risk. Just get an extra wax every year.
Old 01-24-13, 08:07 PM
LegendGT1
Driver School Candidate

I took the F to a so called "hand car wash" that happened to use a blower jet to help dry the car and it blew off my front tow bar cover and they couldn't find it...from that point on I only hand wash it myself. If its too cold I would rather it go a few weeks without a wash than let someone else wash it haha.
Old 01-24-13, 08:35 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

optimum no rins.
Old 01-24-13, 10:15 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Honestly, I prefer washing my car more in the winter. Colder temps are much more soothing to me than hot and muggy. It makes for a good workout, too. But I've always washed my F myself. No disrespect to the hand wash guys, but most of them don't take the proper care of others' rides. I've seen, as Just F Me mentioned, guys drop their microfibers only to pick them up and continue using them. There were clear visible etches on the black car they were working on. I wash mine every few months, and during the winter it definitely gets a full detail to tackle the cold weather and soot that resides more often than in the spring or summer months.

For the OP, I'd suggest finding a self service wash station, as Evil Teo advised. You'll feel better knowing you did the cleaning yourself, and you won't have to deal with careless wash employees.
Old 01-24-13, 10:53 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Are the self serving car washes indoors? I usually wash my car in my driveway, but if I try to do that now the water in the buckets would freeze before I could start washing the car. Same problem With ONR; I's just too cold. I guess the only option is to take it to a decent hand car wash place.
Old 01-24-13, 11:40 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read a lot winter washes are not good for the car
it helps work the salt in and all the freezing and thawing is a negative
if i had a winter f i would only do it a few times in the winter
Old 01-25-13, 06:54 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bnizzle's winters are different from ours... we get real snow lol. I'm pretty sure nobody wants to wash their car in 30 or even 40 deg weather
Old 01-25-13, 10:35 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jat0223
Are the self serving car washes indoors? I usually wash my car in my driveway, but if I try to do that now the water in the buckets would freeze before I could start washing the car. Same problem With ONR; I's just too cold. I guess the only option is to take it to a decent hand car wash place.
I wash all my cars in my garage with ONR, even when its below freezing out....I have no problems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where and how to wash your F in the winter???