IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Any fellow IS-F peeps attempt the Vaistech ML+ install yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-13, 06:10 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Any fellow IS-F peeps attempt the Vaistech ML+ install yourself?

I have an 09 IS-F, and after pretty extensive forum research I've decided that the ML+ unit gives me the features I want the most... full iPod touchscreen integration with my factory headunit. I've installed several audio systems in my day, mostly in Hondas, and I would consider myself a novice with an understanding of basic installation technique.

I was going to attempt to DIY the ML+ install, but I am having a little trouble finding a consice DIY guide about how to do it. This is the first car I will have attempted with NAV/DVD/Backup camera integration, and I don't want to mess any of that up. I know several of you guys are running the ML+. Did any of you do the install yourself? If so, what did you use for guidance on how to do it it?

What I've found:
How to remove factory headunit: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...-install-help/

ML+ thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...sl2i-user.html

Is this pretty much it? The thread on this forum seems more geared towards the GS and not the 2IS platform. If there's a better thread out there, or anyone that has done this install in our car by themselves, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks!
Old 01-06-13, 10:26 AM
Asianjedi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed since I will doing this mod soon too.
Old 01-06-13, 11:41 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

honestly, it looks pretty simple. as long as you feel comfortable taking apart the center console, its pretty easy. i would never pay someone to do something as simple as this unless you are not mechanically inclined or have a hard time looking at diy guides and comprehending.

since you said you worked on a few honda systems, this should be even easier. i know the electronics stuff on a nice car like this kind of scares you but its simple and you know you dont have to trust another person scratching up your interior pieces.
Old 01-06-13, 05:52 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've done a few and they are very easy. All of the plastic panels unclips with easy, I would recomend a plastic panel tool. Remove the shift **** then the grey wings going up the side of the center console, the center console trim and next would be the little strip along the bottom of the CD player and the ash tray. The center vent comes out next and that is the PITA part. It has little tabs that are used to unclip it, you'll see them in the corners of the vent. Once you get those to unlatch the vent slips out easy...Don't force it!!!
Now that everything is out of your way put the E brake on and without starting the car move the shifter to first gear, that gives you more room to pull the unit out. Take out the 10mm bolts holding the unit in and unplug it from the back.
Now just plug in the ML+ inline with the matching connectors, follow the setup instructions then find a place to tuck all the wires and boxes away, pick your iPod connector location and put it all back together.

Old 01-06-13, 07:10 PM
vbb

Originally Posted by RCB
I've done a few and they are very easy. All of the plastic panels unclips with easy, I would recomend a plastic panel tool. Remove the shift **** then the grey wings going up the side of the center console, the center console trim and next would be the little strip along the bottom of the CD player and the ash tray. The center vent comes out next and that is the PITA part. It has little tabs that are used to unclip it, you'll see them in the corners of the vent. Once you get those to unlatch the vent slips out easy...Don't force it!!!
Now that everything is out of your way put the E brake on and without starting the car move the shifter to first gear, that gives you more room to pull the unit out. Take out the 10mm bolts holding the unit in and unplug it from the back.
Now just plug in the ML+ inline with the matching connectors, follow the setup instructions then find a place to tuck all the wires and boxes away, pick your iPod connector location and put it all back together.

I appreciate the vote of confidence and the tips. I plan on attempting this myself. I figure if I've switched out a half-dozen headunits on various vehicles and wired in as many amps from scratch, I should be able to figure this out. A nice DIY is always helpful though. How long would you say the process takes, start to finish?
Old 01-07-13, 06:59 AM
DallasISF
Driver School Candidate

Talk about timing, I was just talking with the guys at Vaistech to get the ML+. Please post pics from your install.
Old 01-07-13, 12:01 PM
Straightik
Rookie

I did this Install about 6-months ago, the two DIY links you posted are what I used to get through it successfully. It is def a straight forward instal, my biggest issue was getting the ML+ program to set via the jumpers, and getting the "beep" to confirm it. Turns out if you just do it several times it will eventually take. Also you have to get creative on placing the unit itself, and then I ran the cable into the center console.

Good Luck!
Old 01-09-13, 01:01 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Those links you posted are all you need. I've swapped in/out a few kits and they were all totally painless. Once you've removed the headunit, it takes like 5 minutes to do it the next time.

I have 4 recommendations:

1 - The A/C vents are a pain. They're extremely flimsy and barely held together so you need to be gentle with them. When putting them back in you may need to push in the individual vent slats as they can easily move out of position. Continuously test the vents to ensure everything is still working as it goes in, because once they're installed you can't really fix them without taking them out again.

2 - You have to take off the shift **** (a simple twist) so I put a thick towel over the shifter and then rested the headunit on that which provides a nice swivel point so that you just need to swivel it to one side to get to the wiring. The HU is HEAVY so this works out well.

3 - Nearly all connections on the back of the HU are unique. So if you're worried that you won't know where to plug something in, don't be. It's likely that each ML+ connector will only fit in a single place. I installed the SL2Vi without any instructions.

4 - Getting wiring to the glovebox was difficult for me. There are paths to pass wires through but by myself with my size hands I struggled with it. I opted to just use the center console...there is a TON of room under the shifter to hide the box and feed wires. But you'll need to drill/cut a hole into the armrest to feed in the ipod cable if you want the ipod hidden. I drilled a hole and then used a tiny saw to cut out a rectangle big enough for the ipod cable to pass through. Not a big deal but it's extra time and effort.

Give yourself an hour from start to finish if it's the first time you've removed the HU. Subsequent efforts will only take 15-20 mins. It's really an easy install but the first time does take a great deal more time.

Hope some of this helps...
Old 01-10-13, 07:47 AM
vbb

I'm going to tackle this install this weekend and will report back to let everyone know how it went. Thank you Steve, and the rest of you that have offered tips. From everything I've read, it doesn't sound any more complicated than some other headunit installs that I've done, and possibly even less complicated. I've been tearing dashboards out of my cars to install headunits for over 16 years now, and though it has been several years since my last one, I think this is something I can accomplish.
Old 01-10-13, 09:09 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the SL2Vi it it does the job but the ML + looks cleaner and easier to navigate when you have a lot of music
Old 01-10-13, 10:39 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you dont really need to cut or drill if you feed it into the arm rest area, there is a little secret door down there that pops off.
Old 01-10-13, 10:43 PM
LO 21
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't read all of the posts, but what iPhone do you have? if you have iPhone 5 (or will EVER have one), only the audio feature will work, since there does NOT exist a cable (yet) that will allow Vais to transfer the video/visual interface.

Going a bit further, it's not even about the cable, as Apple will probably release the proper Component AV cable. Vais will be releasing a WHOLE DIFFERENT UNIT, the ML+ will soon be obsolete and discontinued. It's a shame because I had been really looking forward to the ML+ for a long time. I knew once I finally had a 2nd-gen IS that this would be the unit I would want. Hopefully it'll only be a few months (or less) before Vais releases their new unit (called IVIC). Although it might take more than a few months. They don't know, only Apple knows when they'll let 3rd party developers tap into their newer platforms.

(or something like that... I'll be curious to look back upon this post when Vais becomes compatible with iPhone 5 and see how wrong or right I was)
Old 01-11-13, 02:57 AM
vbb

I have the Samsung Galaxy S3. I picked up the ML+ to run my iPod, simply for music purposes.
Old 01-11-13, 05:30 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Subscribed for pics.
Old 01-12-13, 11:46 AM
DallasISF
Driver School Candidate

Installed mine this morning. Took about an hour and half. I didn't have nearly the difficulty that others had with the air vents. At first they were driving me crazy until I got creative and used a credit card to slide above the clip to push them down from the inside and use a flat head to finish the job. Pulling the vents out had me a little nervous, because it seems like you might break something, but just pull hard and they pop right out. I installed the unit in the same location that the second link in the OP shows as it is easy and pretty secure there.

I ran my cable into my glovebox since you can lock that if you ever need. I used a dremel and sanded a small circular spot between the cabin filter cover and the glovebox and the cable fit perfectly.

Quick Reply: Any fellow IS-F peeps attempt the Vaistech ML+ install yourself?