IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Vendors using my car without permission

Old 12-26-12, 06:37 PM
Asianjedi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a pretty good article explaining fair use laws and the ability or inability to use online images.

http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/c...online-images/

In a nutshell:

the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

the nature of the copyrighted work; the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Source: 17 USC Section 107.
Old 12-26-12, 07:27 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

I seem to always be the odd opinion on here... but WGAF, be proud and honored that your car is worthy of publication and sales.
Old 12-26-12, 08:45 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Asianjedi
Here is a pretty good article explaining fair use laws and the ability or inability to use online images.

http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/c...online-images/

In a nutshell:

the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

the nature of the copyrighted work; the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Source: 17 USC Section 107.
Exactly! ...and that is for "copyrighted" work - in this case we are dealing with pictures which have no copyright registrations. Having your work registered with the U.S. Copyright Office is the only way it would up in court. Lol I would be honored if people were using my pictures to promote a product, i definitely wouldn't complain!
Old 12-27-12, 02:03 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

None of the sites are EBay, they are online stores for speed shops. I'm not exactly complaining and I am flattered that people think my car is nice enough to use on there site. The flip side of that is I don't really think the way they go about it is right.
I wil say this, I owned a shop for a while and I was a online retailer. I only sold parts that I believed in and had first hand experience with. All the photos on my site where either my studio photos or file photos from vendors. I think that is the way to do things.
I know this is a forum and things get misconstrued but I'm not a hard as*, I'm actually a really nice guy....I think anyone here that knows me can vouch for that. If I can help someone out I'm more then happy too do so.
If a vendor wants to use a picture of a car that I built and I photographed then all they should do is shoot me an email saying something like...."Hey, I love your car and I noticed you have such and such part on it, I could really use a picture to display that part for my web site. Would you mind if I used your image? If you ever need anything in the future I would be willing to repay the favor."
My ISF is on one web site showing a part that used my car to do a test fit at the shop that produces the part and I was happy to let them take photos for there web site. In exchange they gave me a great price for the first unit.
The other issue is that I almost exclusively deal with Figs Engineering when it comes to my ISF. Figs answered all my questions when I was new to the car and had no knowledge of this platform. He also supplied me with most of what I needed for my build. I choose to work with Figs because he did the leg work over the years and proved that he is knowledgable. He also took the time to guide me in the right direction and has amazing customer service. That's the kind of shop I want to give back to, Not Joe Internet dropshipping middleman that has never even stocked the part he's using my car to showcase and most likely has never dealt with an ISF for that matter.
Figs knowledge and inventory of quality, mostly in house designed and fabricated parts and my 15+years of mechanical knowledge is what built my car. If Figs Engineering wanted to use my car for anything they wouldn't even have to ask.
So, if someone want to use my cars to show off a part that's going to drop ship off there site then cool but just ask first and try to make it a two way street. I just think that anyone that owns a shop or store should know how to conduct business in a courteous manner. On top of that I just hate vendors that feed off of other peoples hard work and sell things they have no clue about because someone else made it easy for them. Sure, it's smart and it's just business and all that but it's surly not the way to get my business.

On a side note, is it fair that if you put images on a forum of your peers (that all need a user name and password to enter) to show them what cool thing you did to your car you have to worry about how it might be used? Not really but I guess it's the way of the world, right?

Also, I won't be bringing charges on anyone over such a minor thing I just wanted some input because I never really had this happen to me before and suddenly it's happened a few times. I think it has to do with the fact that I was never very active on forums in the past so all my pictures where from shows.
Old 12-27-12, 10:26 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Murph145
If I post something on a forum without it saying copy right on the pic then that means I don't care if anyone uses my pics. Not like I was making any money from them so if someone else can use my pic to promote there product have at it lol
you are too nice murph
Old 12-27-12, 10:39 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Is not a big of a deal, just contact them either free products or massive discount on parts lolz. I got free mid pipe from Tanabe on the last car and great discount on TOM'S parts on my ISF
Old 12-27-12, 10:48 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

So to summarize, just send the "offenders" an email either asking them to take the pics down, or maybe asking them for a freebie or hookup in exchange for using your photos. But if the question is whether or not you have any valid legal recourse for misappropriation of your intellectual property or images, the answer is no, not really.
Old 12-27-12, 10:56 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My GT-R is in a calender (Nov '12) and I was honored they used it...but, they asked!
Old 12-27-12, 01:36 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
My GT-R is in a calender (Nov '12) and I was honored they used it...but, they asked!
Can you put up some pics of said GTR please
Old 12-27-12, 02:04 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Don't want to jack the thread as I think I've posted these before, but here you go. Top pic was the calender pic.

Old 12-27-12, 08:09 PM
toky916
Pole Position

I still think out of respect of other people should ask permission I dought anyone would say Not give permission would be for a good reason
Old 12-27-12, 09:35 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first picture is the only one the looks like a picture. The other ones almost seem to look like they are out of a video game
Old 12-28-12, 01:58 AM
toky916
Pole Position

Cuz they are he really only owns one in need for speed just messing there amazing pictures GTR
Old 12-28-12, 07:46 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Lol! A lot of photoshop going on in the bottom ones. That one that looks like it's moving was actually just sitting there.