IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF - one of the best cars I've owned

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-12, 10:13 PM
BULLIT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ISF - one of the best cars I've owned

Just got my ISF a week ago and have to say I am very impressed. Previous car was an Audi RS5 and before that a C63 and M5. While the ISF doesn't sound as good as C63 or has the torque the refinement is outstanding, never had a car so quite inside. When I bought it it had an axle back Borla system which I have taken off for now and put back on the factory system. The drone was annoying for a daily driven car. May look at a Joe Z or ISS Forged in the future.
My only gripe is the sound system, for a car that costs $135,000 in Australia it's pathetic but everything else I love.
Would be interested to hear what others have owned prior to ISF and their thoughts
Old 12-18-12, 10:21 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Glad to hear you're enjoying your F, especially coming from the RS5, M5, and C63. Some great cars right there, but horsepower alone doesn't make a car great. The mix of luxurious refinement and powerful sport feel makes the F a great all-around choice in this particular segment. I personally like the Mark Levinson system. I know others have tinkered with the system, but for a stock audio system, it isn't bad to my ears. Continue enjoying your F!
Old 12-18-12, 10:36 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was debating adding the borla..iI added 2 12w6 and changed some settings on the audio and the car is perfect. I plan on keep the car for a long time, right now its my DD but not for long.
Old 12-18-12, 10:44 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel the stock exhaust is just too quiet so I initially tried the Borla axle-back and agree that it drones...and after hearing other options...doesn't sound so good. It sounds decent outside of the car but inside it's lackluster and I grew tired of it pretty quick.

I have the JoeZ cat-back now and it's amazing. I don't have a single complaint about it. It sounds wonderful and it's tame when you want it to be but if you let the revs climb it perks your ears.

The Borla cat-back is way better than the axle-back so that might be something to try too. Price-wise it's tough to beat.

As for the ML...for me this is the best factory stereo I've ever owned. The only complaint I can see people having is if they like serious and crazy bass. But for most people like me I think it's pretty outstanding.
Old 12-18-12, 10:45 PM
BULLIT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Glad to hear you're enjoying your F, especially coming from the RS5, M5, and C63. Some great cars right there, but horsepower alone doesn't make a car great. The mix of luxurious refinement and powerful sport feel makes the F a great all-around choice in this particular segment. I personally like the Mark Levinson system. I know others have tinkered with the system, but for a stock audio system, it isn't bad to my ears. Continue enjoying your F!
I agree with you luxury and refinement are high priorities for me. The RS5 really needed to be driven hard to get the most out of it. As I use my car for work and daily driving the ISF is perfect. So happy with my choice
Old 12-18-12, 10:50 PM
BULLIT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by anxiouz
I feel the stock exhaust is just too quiet so I initially tried the Borla axle-back and agree that it drones...and after hearing other options...doesn't sound so good. It sounds decent outside of the car but inside it's lackluster and I grew tired of it pretty quick.

I have the JoeZ cat-back now and it's amazing. I don't have a single complaint about it. It sounds wonderful and it's tame when you want it to be but if you let the revs climb it perks your ears.

The Borla cat-back is way better than the axle-back so that might be something to try too. Price-wise it's tough to beat.

As for the ML...for me this is the best factory stereo I've ever owned. The only complaint I can see people having is if they like serious and crazy bass. But for most people like me I think it's pretty outstanding.
A local Lexus dealer is offering a pack which includes - Joe Z exhaust, intake and filter plus ported intake manifold for $5,500 fitted. They have dynoed 3 cars all producing 360kw at engine.
Do you find the Joe Z doesn't drone on highway or 8th gear?
I'll get wheels and suspension sorted first then move on to performance mods
Old 12-19-12, 09:11 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BULLIT
Just got my ISF a week ago and have to say I am very impressed. Previous car was an Audi RS5 and before that a C63 and M5. While the ISF doesn't sound as good as C63 or has the torque the refinement is outstanding, never had a car so quite inside. When I bought it it had an axle back Borla system which I have taken off for now and put back on the factory system. The drone was annoying for a daily driven car. May look at a Joe Z or ISS Forged in the future.
My only gripe is the sound system, for a car that costs $135,000 in Australia it's pathetic but everything else I love.
Would be interested to hear what others have owned prior to ISF and their thoughts
I've known others that owned RS/C63/M5's and the one really great thing about the Lexus is the reliability as compared.
Old 12-19-12, 09:43 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

glad you're enjoying the F! my previous car was a g35 sedan that i dumped a bunch of money into; full exhaust, wilwood bbk, wheels, kw coilovers, etc. with the F, all i really wanted was to hear the big V8, so, had to get the exhaust asap.

i really wanted the C63, simply bc of the engine and the nasty growl it makes right out the box. curious, what would you say you like better in the F over the C63?
Old 12-19-12, 09:49 AM
BULLIT
Pole Position

Thats a tuff question. The C63 is an animal especially when tuned, stereo is a lot better as well. I regretted selling it to buy the RS5 which I only kept for 4 months-I hated it!
The ISF is the most comfortable car out of all of them next to the M5.
New prices for cars here are ridiculous
ISF - $135,000
C63 - $190,000 with performance pack
RS5 - $180,000
M5 - $240,000
For the money the ISF wins hands down
Old 12-19-12, 09:55 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The car prices for imports in Austrailia are crazy. I remember going to a Lexus dealership in NSW and was shocked. I was like damn it cost more than double what I paid for my new IS-F in 08.
Old 12-19-12, 10:20 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Thats a tuff question. The C63 is an animal especially when tuned, stereo is a lot better as well. I regretted selling it to buy the RS5 which I only kept for 4 months-I hated it!
The ISF is the most comfortable car out of all of them next to the M5.
New prices for cars here are ridiculous
ISF - $135,000
C63 - $190,000 with performance pack
RS5 - $180,000
M5 - $240,000
For the money the ISF wins hands down
yes, those prices are outrageous compared to here in the states. but i wonder what the average salary is for, say, an attorney is. (obviously, my profession.) or any other profession for that matter. and yes, one of the first threads i made on CL was regarding the horrible stereo our cars come w/. the old Bose system in my G35 was even better!
Old 12-20-12, 06:26 AM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree that the ISF is also one of the best cars I have owned. I just purchased a 2012 ISF.

I also agree the ML Audio System is a huge disappointment (verging on junk). I came from an IS350 and the stock audio system sounded better. I actually took the car back to the dealer and left it with them for 2 days thinking something was wrong with the bass response. In the end, "works as designed" was the answer. We even sat in several cars and compared ML vs non ML. The ML system is well suited for classical music or jazz, neither of which I typically listen to.

Besides the crappy audio system, the car is freakin amazing, and is a joy to ride in everyday!
Old 12-20-12, 07:02 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cremaster
yes, those prices are outrageous compared to here in the states. but i wonder what the average salary is for, say, an attorney is. (obviously, my profession.) or any other profession for that matter. and yes, one of the first threads i made on CL was regarding the horrible stereo our cars come w/. the old Bose system in my G35 was even better!
The avg salary for an entry level corporate job in finance or IT must be six figures!
Old 12-20-12, 07:08 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
The car prices for imports in Austrailia are crazy. I remember going to a Lexus dealership in NSW and was shocked. I was like damn it cost more than double what I paid for my new IS-F in 08.
My dad is living in VietNam paid $240,000 for his 2012 LX570, the F over there is $ 180,000. That's crazier !
Old 12-21-12, 04:56 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea the stereo in the f is a$$. I gutted mine. Now it sounds amazing. But the ml found in my 07 ls took the f Ml's lunch. Really sad.
If u get headers and exhaust unwilling really need to upgrade the stereo

Quick Reply: ISF - one of the best cars I've owned