IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2010 IS-F LSD Differential into 2008 IS-F. Completed. *Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-13, 07:14 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
lol Teo why are you getting the LSD... are you tracking the car or doing any aggressive driving
It makes a big difference in daily driving when taking corners and the inside wheel slips.
Old 11-01-13, 06:05 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
It makes a big difference in daily driving when taking corners and the inside wheel slips.
Its very noticeable +1. When he kicks nitrous on from low speeds the car hooks up much better.,,
Old 11-01-13, 12:14 PM
Endgame
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this type of swap have any impact on the electronics/sensors for the car itself?? Sorry for my ignorance.
Old 11-01-13, 01:30 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Endgame
Does this type of swap have any impact on the electronics/sensors for the car itself?? Sorry for my ignorance.
None whatsoever
Old 11-16-13, 10:54 AM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm curious, would anyone ever consider selling their lsd for the right price? if so, what would that price be? i'm still going back and forth between getting an 08 vs 10, all else being equal. thanks!
Old 11-16-13, 11:02 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

with how hard it is to find them i wouldnt let mine go for less than 2500 considering it would cost 5 to have an os giken installed
Old 11-16-13, 11:54 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by scamsel
i'm curious, would anyone ever consider selling their lsd for the right price? if so, what would that price be? i'm still going back and forth between getting an 08 vs 10, all else being equal. thanks!
Buy a 10 and up
Old 11-16-13, 01:21 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by darbs242
with how hard it is to find them i wouldnt let mine go for less than 2500 considering it would cost 5 to have an os giken installed
It would not cost that much on the OSGiken install.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 11-16-13, 03:45 PM
scamsel
Advanced

thanks. yeah the diff between 10's and 08's are like 7k at min, so i was just trying to think if it was worth it to me is all

Originally Posted by FIGS
It would not cost that much on the OSGiken install.
hey figs, what are the differences between the osgilken and the stock lsd? is one considered 'better' or are there tradeoffs?

thx
b
Old 11-16-13, 08:51 PM
FIGS
The Maker

thanks. yeah the diff between 10's and 08's are like 7k at min, so i was just trying to think if it was worth it to me is all

hey figs, what are the differences between the osgilken and the stock lsd? is one considered 'better' or are there tradeoffs?

thx
b
Its a fairly large difference between the OSGiken TCD and the Factory LSD. The factory uses a Torsen type which requires a large slip event to engage or a certain number of slip revolutions to engage the other axle and at that the other axle is only splitting torque the with the gripping axle by some ratio. If one wheel loses traction completely then 0 torque is transferred to the other wheel. It also only takes the input torque and divides it, so it does not work under coast conditions.

I also found this handly animation

The OSGiken TCD uses a multi element clutch type engagement with a conical washer and splined gears to apply more and more loading to the elements.

This means that it will allow full 100% locking of both axles at the terminal torque of the loading mechanism. This is a much more progressive lock feel and has more impact in a corner because it gives you a stronger vector through the corner. The driving sensation is that you are being pulled through the corner with the gas pedal vs sliding to the outside gradually with an open diff and simply holding with a Torsen. The point at which the full lock occurs is tunable and the TCD type for the IS-F has through holes in the clutch plates to damp noise and smooth the function quite a bit. I have never felt a "hit" when full lock occurs which does happen on some of the superlock LSD's apparently.

The other thing is that the OSGiken is 2-way, meaning under acceleration and braking the clutch is working. I feel that engine braking with the F transmission is much more effective and stable with the change. Though our car is pretty neatly tuned in other suspension areas so it would hard to give a perspective on a purely stock vehicle.

Hope this helps.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
The following users liked this post:
vinz8 (04-06-20)
Old 11-17-13, 06:29 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

I have never felt a "hit" when full lock occurs which does happen on some of the superlock LSD's apparently.
I believe the "hit" you are referring to has to do with the design of the original Superlock LSDs which locks up at a much faster rate than the newer-generation TCD models.

Name:  os_giken_tcd.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  129.1 KB
Old 11-17-13, 10:38 AM
scamsel
Advanced

....The driving sensation is that you are being pulled through the corner with the gas pedal vs sliding to the outside gradually with an open diff and simply holding with a Torsen. The point at which the full lock occurs is tunable and the TCD type for the IS-F has through holes in the clutch plates to damp noise and smooth the function quite a bit. I have never felt a "hit" when full lock occurs which does happen on some of the superlock LSD's apparently.

The other thing is that the OSGiken is 2-way, meaning under acceleration and braking the clutch is working. I feel that engine braking with the F transmission is much more effective and stable with the change. Though our car is pretty neatly tuned in other suspension areas so it would hard to give a perspective on a purely stock vehicle.

Hope this helps.
Mike
wow, many thanks for the explanation mike. the osgiken sounds like it might be less 'fun' ha.

would it be incorrect of me to say the osgiken might lend itself to be more suited for the weekend track enthusiast vs compared to say the everyday street 'hoonigan'?
Old 11-17-13, 08:45 PM
FIGS
The Maker

wow, many thanks for the explanation mike. the osgiken sounds like it might be less 'fun' ha.

would it be incorrect of me to say the osgiken might lend itself to be more suited for the weekend track enthusiast vs compared to say the everyday street 'hoonigan'?
Not sure what you mean but my version of fun is applying the straight-line acceleration to the post apex portion of a corner so that you can get the most acceleration out of it while still feeling safe. I prefer control, and you can still break the rear end plenty loose with weight transfer. So I would have to ask how the weekend track enthusiast and the street driver differ in purpose.

On the other end of the conversation, Its not like the 2010+ LSD's are available other than the dealer as it seems like salvage is completely dry on inventory. The most tricky part of the install is the removal of material on one side of the carrier. But if you want to send the carrier to us we can do the install as well.

Mike
Old 11-17-13, 10:21 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much would you charge for everything OS Giken and install if I send you my carrier?
Old 11-17-13, 11:06 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by FD3SISF
How much would you charge for everything OS Giken and install if I send you my carrier?
It will depend on turnaround time required and what our shop load is like. I can quote it on a case by case basis. Our OSGiken pricing is posted and we sell for as low as they allow.

Quick Reply: 2010 IS-F LSD Differential into 2008 IS-F. Completed. *Pics*