IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

HELP!! Suspension THUMP noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-12, 08:10 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HELP!! Suspension THUMP noise

Hey guys, a few weeks ago I got some BR Racing coilovers and ever since the install, I get this THUMP on my back right portion of my car.

We checked and checked every single exhaust piece and nothing is rubbing or touching. I've discovered my amp was loose but that isn't what's making the noise.

I checked and rechecked all the nuts and bolts for the suspension and everything is tight.

I did notice the little brass nut on the top of the shock was loose and I tightened it but that had nothing to do with the sound.

I did notice that the brass nut on the shock body was loose (not the spring retainer) and I tightened that with the C shaped wrench and that didn't fix the noise.

I did notice that the swift spring practically rubs on the side of the car frame a little bit and was wondering if that's the noise... but can't be sure.

I was planning on switching R and L shocks to see if the sound travels or if it's the right suspension.

It doesn't make the sound on small bumps, undulations.. but on the sharp hits like 2-3 inch gaps in the concrete.

Anybody have any suggestions? It was fine until the coilovers were installed. sigh... I've been tearing up the car looking for that rattle for weeks now!
Old 12-06-12, 08:42 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A lot of the 2IS members have reported clunking noises with BCR too, and it always seems to be coming from the passenger rear side. I would switch the left to right coils like you plan to and see if the sound travels with the shock. CircuitMS recommended to check the preload

The 2IS guys haven't been able to figure out the noise, but you could always have BCR send you a new coil.

Last edited by edgeucated; 12-06-12 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-06-12, 09:39 PM
lilcop17
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have coil overs but I get that thump noise if I hit a bump in the road. I get freaked out
Old 12-06-12, 10:01 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spring shouldn't be touching the car frame! IMO, poor R&D...if any was done.
Old 12-06-12, 10:12 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

shoot me a PM and we will try to figure it out. I have another 2IS customer with the same issue.
Anyway you can reproduce it with the car jacked and a wheel off?
Mike

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
Hey guys, a few weeks ago I got some BR Racing coilovers and ever since the install, I get this THUMP on my back right portion of my car.

We checked and checked every single exhaust piece and nothing is rubbing or touching. I've discovered my amp was loose but that isn't what's making the noise.

I checked and rechecked all the nuts and bolts for the suspension and everything is tight.

I did notice the little brass nut on the top of the shock was loose and I tightened it but that had nothing to do with the sound.

I did notice that the brass nut on the shock body was loose (not the spring retainer) and I tightened that with the C shaped wrench and that didn't fix the noise.

I did notice that the swift spring practically rubs on the side of the car frame a little bit and was wondering if that's the noise... but can't be sure.

I was planning on switching R and L shocks to see if the sound travels or if it's the right suspension.

It doesn't make the sound on small bumps, undulations.. but on the sharp hits like 2-3 inch gaps in the concrete.

Anybody have any suggestions? It was fine until the coilovers were installed. sigh... I've been tearing up the car looking for that rattle for weeks now!
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 12-06-12, 10:28 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Can't reproduce it except on certain types of bumps. Sound is exacerbated when running stiffer damping or higher PSI tire pressure.

I'm going to try to remove the shock and check preload.

I was actually thinking maybe because the Front left is heavier, my right rear has the lightest load and rides the highest and maybe has something to do with it? I'm not sure yet. Tomorrow I'll check the anti-roll bar links to make sure they're real tight. If everything is good and still noisy, I'm going to switch R and L and go from there.

The noise is pretty loud - and it even reverberates through the whole cabin of the car. I'll try to record it and post it on youtube. Once I figure it out (if I can) I plan on updating all the 2IS guys. Just spent the last 2 hours reading every post about clunking coilovers. LOL
Old 12-06-12, 10:29 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Oh, it happens more frequently when hitting small bumps while turning right which unload the right side even more. I don't know why...
Old 12-06-12, 11:19 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
Can't reproduce it except on certain types of bumps. Sound is exacerbated when running stiffer damping or higher PSI tire pressure.

I'm going to try to remove the shock and check preload.

I was actually thinking maybe because the Front left is heavier, my right rear has the lightest load and rides the highest and maybe has something to do with it? I'm not sure yet. Tomorrow I'll check the anti-roll bar links to make sure they're real tight. If everything is good and still noisy, I'm going to switch R and L and go from there.

The noise is pretty loud - and it even reverberates through the whole cabin of the car. I'll try to record it and post it on youtube. Once I figure it out (if I can) I plan on updating all the 2IS guys. Just spent the last 2 hours reading every post about clunking coilovers. LOL
The 2IS guys reported getting louder thumps with harder damping too. The theory of having the front heavier can't be right, because then all our cars would be making the noise.

I would try double checking the sway bar endlinks, it might have come a little loose when you lowered the car. GL on diagnosing the problem
Old 12-06-12, 11:26 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I swear to god almost every BC coil have this problem, not just IS.

Simple answer, its the struts. Had mine replaced and the noise went away and the car ride was so much better. The shop told me eventually the sound will come back..... as that's what they experienced with their customer
Old 12-07-12, 12:27 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

on my previous car I had a similar noise but with JIC coilovers.

Turned out the rear shocks were shot and were slightly leaking so I had to get them replaced.

After replacing I never heard any noises.
Old 12-10-12, 01:49 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

I've had the same "clunking" noise coming from the Right Rear with small to large bumps since I had my BCR's installed several months ago as well... I was thinking of having my shop check the preload on the springs... can this be done with the shocks still installed on the car? if so does the suspension need to be unloaded or anything special done? If that doesn't fix it would you all recommend i get a replacement shock from FIGS (where I purchased them) or BCR ?
Old 12-10-12, 07:23 AM
madastep
Pole Position

Figures id see this after i've bought some, lol Hope you find a fix Doc
Old 12-10-12, 11:11 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had no such issues with mine (custom spring rates) , my installation shop preloaded and set them up correctly and they have a lot of experience with IS series cars.

I've had it tracked and adjust the height all of the time over the last 25K. I live on a speed bumped street and come into high rebound (up and down) movements every day.

I only get a small rubber squeak, hardly audible from that corner. If I knew any secrets I'd pass them on? just lucky to have had a good shop install these, from the sounds of it.

I never like to hear about loose retaining nuts after an installation job?

Digger08
Old 12-10-12, 03:30 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Well, I checked the antiroll bar links and they're all tight. I also added about 2 mm of load to the right rear shock and still the same. The things that really helps is lowering PSI and decreasing dampening - but still doesn't solve the problem. I guess next weekend I'm switching R & L to see what happens.
Old 12-11-12, 11:10 AM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Here's a link. Recorded from my phone. You can clearly hear that one bump is really a CLUNK compared to some of the other bumps.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Suspension THUMP noise