IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

HELP!! Suspension THUMP noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-12, 01:40 PM
madastep
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dang, yet that sounds a little too much, hopefully you can get it worked out. I haven't gotten mine yet, but when i do i'll let you know if they do that too.
Old 12-11-12, 04:49 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
Here's a link. Recorded from my phone. You can clearly hear that one bump is really a CLUNK compared to some of the other bumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeGbi...feature=g-hist
mine is more of a rattle compared to that! (but sometimes a quieter clunk too)
Old 12-11-12, 06:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Any chance the cartridge is not fully tight in the shock body?
Old 12-11-12, 06:54 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Put the OEM back to find the problem, the sound drive you nut i'm sure. Hopefully you get it fixed soon.
Old 12-11-12, 08:05 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OEM stuff is in the garbage LOL. I tend not to keep the old stuff around and clutter my life. I'll check to see if the cartridge is on or not... how do I do that?
Old 12-11-12, 08:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

There's usually a top nut on the shock body that retains the cartridge. You'll probably have to take the offending unit off and remove the spring to tighten it.
Old 12-12-12, 07:54 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

So, the rubber upper hats require compression of the bushing to get down to the sleave diameter. Check that you have the proper torque spec on the top nut and use a hex key and wrench to torque if not.

last step of this video http://vimeo.com/28427984

I am suspect some of these may not have been fully compressed from factory assembly or worked loose after driving leaving a small gap between the crush washers and the crush tube. This would cause a thud when the shock is loaded and unloaded as the crush tube bounces between the two washer limits.

Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 12-12-12, 09:36 AM
madastep
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FIGS
So, the rubber upper hats require compression of the bushing to get down to the sleave diameter. Check that you have the proper torque spec on the top nut and use a hex key and wrench to torque if not.

I am suspect some of these may not have been fully compressed from factory assembly or worked loose after driving leaving a small gap between the crush washers and the crush tube. This would cause a thud when the shock is loaded and unloaded as the crush tube bounces between the two washer limits.

Mike
This makes the most sense too honestly, hopefully that's it.
Old 12-12-12, 09:46 PM
96817isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have kwv3 and i have that same problem
Old 01-12-13, 05:24 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

So, I went to a good mechanic and together we swapped right and left. We made sure everything on the shocks were tight (nothing was loose) and made sure we had the 4 mm or so or preload. Odd thing... Just switching right and left shocks removed the sound. I'm not sure what was the cause of the thumping, but the shocks were NOT changed at all except to swap right and left rear shocks. Maybe it was an installation issue? The nuts were all tight and torqued so I have no idea how we fixed it or what the cause was but either way, I'm super happy the SOUND IS GONE!!!
Old 01-12-13, 06:39 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

That or the thumping one is now on the right and is further away from you and you cant hear it...
Old 01-12-13, 06:43 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

thumping was in the right rear (farthest from me) and now it's gone... I was hoping to find a loose shock body or something but in the end, everything was already tight and just the swap removed the noise and it hasn't shifted to the left so it's definitely not a bad shock body (which is what I was guessing) nor an exhaust pipe hitting the frame.

Either case, I'm glad it's gone and now it's time for me to continue on modding. LSD anyone?
Old 01-15-13, 03:15 PM
pokepoke
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FIGS

Mike
I'm gonna give this a shot sometime soon. I get a metallic sounding thunk when going over certain bumps and potholes. It sounds like I'm driving over a storm drain.
Old 04-04-13, 09:29 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey, has anyone come up with an expanation and fix for the noise? I just had my BCs installed (with Swift spring upgrade) and got the car back last night. Today driving I notice that small bumps, in succession, seem to produce this loud noise from the rear (not specifically from the left or right), that sounds like a bag of wrenches or something bouncing around (there are no wrenches in my trunk). I am currently 12 clicks out from stiff, front and rear, although I find that first click to be somewhat ambiguous in the rears. I will check on the rubber hats as FIGS suggested. Anyone else having similar issues or solutions?
TIA

Kevin
Old 04-04-13, 08:30 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

I found out the cause. The suspension makes the exhaust rattle. Yup, my sound came back and after a thorough examination, my borla exhaust was hitting a hanger. Now, after moving the exhaust around, my rattle is completely gone.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Suspension THUMP noise