jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I finally purchased

1. Wicked CAS enclosure
2. 10W7AE
3. AudioControl LC2i
4. JL 600/1 XD

It will be another month before the installation is started.

I am now considering the 4 gauge amp wiring kit, but having secondary consideration.

I know the JL Subwoofer will likely be more than enough when it comes to sound pressure and quality.

But, since the 2011+ ML speaker sound volume at MAX is really not loud enough, I am concern I will need to upgrade, add another Amp and replace the speakers and then have to upgrade to 0 gauge amp wiring kit, should I just get 0 gauge?

Last edited by jadeboy; 03-10-13 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-07-14, 07:28 PM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to bring the old thread back...

But I have to concur that coming from a 07 IS350 with ML I was unpleasantly surprised that the 2011 IS-F have weak bass compare to the 350. True I do believe the 2011 ML has better surround sound, more crisp and clear sound but the bass tends to be very weak even at max. setting. In the 350 I am good with it set at "7", in the F it sounds very flat at "10". It's really strange how lexus screw up on this. I am not an audio guy and only listen to radio 30% of the time, even then me and my wife can notice a weak sound sys right away. Going to research more to see if there are any remedy to this
Old 10-07-14, 07:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

PROBLEM SOLVED

Hey guys, I have had the same issue . I had an LS460 that sounded like a concert on wheels . When I got the F I was extremely disappointed with the ML system. What fixed it was simply turning on the EQ on the iPod itself and BOOM ( literally )......the system will sound amazing. Its been great finally having to turn the bass down rather than cranking all setting up in hope of some sound quality. In the end Lexus set it up differently than previous model. Try it guys. Pretty sure it will help
Old 10-07-14, 08:13 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went into my iphone settings and there is no "on" setting for the eq, just a bunch of choices. I set it to loud and will test it tomorrow. There is a bass booster option, is that what u chose?
Old 10-07-14, 09:35 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That does help a bit, but SiriusXM still sounds terrible
Old 10-08-14, 02:29 PM
Jeepster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ML Sound System in GX460

I had a 2011 GX460 with the standard sound system. Bass was OK but I couldn't get any real sound anywhere but up front.

I now have a 2014 GX460 with the ML Sound System. What a disappointment! The surround sound is clear and crisp but there is virtually no bass with the bass set to max and the mid-range also set to max. The sound from a USB or CD is better than the radio but not what one would expect for this pricey system.

It sounds like there is no sub-woofer and the door speakers sound muffled. Going to test the speakers as suggested and will have the dealer check it next week.

Stay tuned!
The dealer says everything works fine. The ML system 'is what it is'. Translation: You lose, get used to it.

Meanwhile I'm going to try settings on MP3 players and phones to see if that helps. CDs and USB sources are better than the XM radio. There is quite a variance among the XM stations - some very tinny and some reasonable. NOTHING HAS ANY BASS UNLESS THE SYSTEM IS TURNED UP EXTREMELY LOUD.

Last edited by Jeepster; 10-16-14 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 10-08-14, 03:07 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
PROBLEM SOLVED

What fixed it was simply turning on the EQ on the iPod itself and BOOM ( literally )......the system will sound amazing. Try it guys. Pretty sure it will help
Thanks a lot...with my busted subwoofer, I had neutralized my EQ on my iTouch a while ago and forgot to reset it back......what a difference.....I selected the "Loudness" feature and your right it sounds 50 times better!

Digger08
Old 10-08-14, 04:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by digger08
Thanks a lot...with my busted subwoofer, I had neutralized my EQ on my iTouch a while ago and forgot to reset it back......what a difference.....I selected the "Loudness" feature and your right it sounds 50 times better!

Digger08
Right on guys!!!!!!!!!! I played with mine for a day or two and I leave mine on electronica for better highs.

So glad I could help. I too was upset with the ML stereo in my ISF, especially coming from the big boy LS concert on wheels . Even after almost 4 years on ownership the stereo in that car still blew my mind
Old 10-09-14, 02:10 PM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I know DVD Audio is a dead format but I think this system really takes advantage of that type of media. I have bought a several DVD-A from eBay and the system sounds absolutely phenomenal. It just seems the day to day XM radio and other functions are not really taking advantage of the system. I will agree, XM sounds terrible in this car. I tried it for 6 months and I've just switched back to using Pandora. It's a shame, I had an ES350 loaner while I was doing a service in the F and the XM in the newer systems sound way better.
Old 10-13-14, 08:10 AM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickISF
I know DVD Audio is a dead format but I think this system really takes advantage of that type of media. I have bought a several DVD-A from eBay and the system sounds absolutely phenomenal. It just seems the day to day XM radio and other functions are not really taking advantage of the system. I will agree, XM sounds terrible in this car. I tried it for 6 months and I've just switched back to using Pandora. It's a shame, I had an ES350 loaner while I was doing a service in the F and the XM in the newer systems sound way better.
Agree on this totally. The crappy ML sound system is very sensitive to the source. The better the quality of the source, the better the response. Not saying its great, but improvement. Using 320kps MP3 is alot better than 128kps ripped music. This also proves that playing with the EQ settings on the ipod help improve the weak bass response from the system.

The sound system still sucks, and have learned to live it with it.