IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Brake Pads & Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-12, 04:33 PM
10ISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pads & Rotors

I was shocked when I brought my ISFfor service today. Brakes 10% remaining and replacing front rotors was suggested. My 2010 ISF has 26,000 kms or 16,000 miles. Sure, I drive it hard, but this was a shock still. Is this normal for other owners?

I went ahead with the rotors at $300/side, but $500 for OEM front brake pads? I passed on that and will look for something aftermarket.

Can someone suggest a reputable shop in the Bellevue, WA area to install brake pads? I'll be driving down from Vancouver, Canada. Anything along the way works too. TIA!
Old 11-28-12, 04:52 PM
Super6
Driver

I'vd had my 2008 for 13 months now and already put 27,000 miles. Yesterday dealer said my pads and rotors are still good.
Old 11-28-12, 05:39 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stoptech pads are much cheaper and does not dust as must.. if you are going to spend 500 for front brake pads you could buy better pads like Project Mu
Old 11-28-12, 05:53 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,282 Posts

Well, young man, you spent too much. If you had done some research you would have found numerous threads that concern brakes (pads & rotors):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...struction.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ms-rotors.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rake-pads.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rake-pads.html

I'm going with Adams Rotors (slotted, not drilled), Ferodo hi performance pads on the front and keeping the stock pads on the rear. There are cheaper options out there for pads, but for rotors, the Adams seem like a great bargain and the reviews on them are great.

And, if your pads get much more wear you'll start to score your new rotors. You really should have waited.

Lou
Old 11-28-12, 07:01 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

ive read that some say the stoptechs dust just as much as oem then i hear that they dont dust at all, which is it? i would be more happy with stoptechs than the wearever if we are talking about brand wise. anyone can chime in on this?
Old 11-28-12, 07:09 PM
MicaISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 10ISF
I was shocked when I brought my ISFfor service today. Brakes 10% remaining and replacing front rotors was suggested. My 2010 ISF has 26,000 kms or 16,000 miles. Sure, I drive it hard, but this was a shock still. Is this normal for other owners?

I went ahead with the rotors at $300/side, but $500 for OEM front brake pads? I passed on that and will look for something aftermarket.

Can someone suggest a reputable shop in the Bellevue, WA area to install brake pads? I'll be driving down from Vancouver, Canada. Anything along the way works too. TIA!
based on your description, what your dealer did made little sense. i take it that there is no crack on rotor, but the pads have only 10% of life left. I don't see the benefit of changing rotors and leave the pads on. you really should report to Lexus for such an unethical practice. when you declined to have pads changed, they really should have done nothing at the time, but suggested having both done in the near future. get your pads done soon for safety and to avoid scoring your rotors.
Old 11-28-12, 07:34 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
ive read that some say the stoptechs dust just as much as oem then i hear that they dont dust at all, which is it? i would be more happy with stoptechs than the wearever if we are talking about brand wise. anyone can chime in on this?
If you consistently drive hard, any pad will dust a lot.

I have stoptechs on all my cars and from my experience over other pads, it does not dust as much. It will still be significantly enough that you'll want to clean your wheels when you wash your car though.
Old 11-28-12, 07:42 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISFpat
If you consistently drive hard, any pad will dust a lot.

I have stoptechs on all my cars and from my experience over other pads, it does not dust as much. It will still be significantly enough that you'll want to clean your wheels when you wash your car though.
let's say you drive your car normal all week, coupel of hard runs but with no hard stops. woudl you say your wheels are very dirty in the front?

i have wearever pads now, but the initial bite is pretty bad IMO. im not even sure if its worth it anymore. would you care to give a quick review of the stoptech pads?
Old 11-28-12, 07:50 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Oh no they are not as dirty but its subjective, if you have light colored wheels like silver then you'll see even a light layer of brake dust. I have dark gunmetal wheels so its not nearly as bad. Theres really no way around it with a 6 piston massive brake setup.

Either you get a reasonable of brake dust or you get a LOT of brake dust.

The initial bite is average, it does not bite as hard as stock and I don't know how much bite wearever pads have. Its definitely tolerable IMO but if you're a hard driver then you'll be fine with these. They are really cheap too, its very affordable so if you decided its not for you then I'm sure another ISF owner wouldn't mind taking them from you.
Old 11-28-12, 07:56 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

thanks for the review, i might have to try them out. i feel like i have brake fade in normal traffic, lol. i dont brake hard ever on the streets but for a car thats an automatic that's constantly moving foward, i feel like it wears down really quick or builds up heat. i'm keeping oem wheels so they sound like they would work.
Old 11-28-12, 08:15 PM
2012ISF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i call bullsheet on the $300 rotors. if they are brembos oem , $380 each is the lowest ive seen them.
Old 11-28-12, 08:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Call whatever you like. I bought mine for $192 each from Pembroke Pines Lexus before their online pricing went crazy. Sewell has them for $415.64 a pair with the CL discount, and even their regular price is $562.10 a pair for online purchases.
Old 11-28-12, 08:37 PM
96817isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i put about the same milage as u did when lexus told me i had to change my pads and rotors.. i went to stoptech for the pads and i forget where i ordered the rotors from..lol my next set of rotors will be the two piece ones for all around when i need to change them again..
Old 11-28-12, 09:46 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
thanks for the review, i might have to try them out. i feel like i have brake fade in normal traffic, lol. i dont brake hard ever on the streets but for a car thats an automatic that's constantly moving foward, i feel like it wears down really quick or builds up heat. i'm keeping oem wheels so they sound like they would work.
LMK how it goes
Old 11-28-12, 10:58 PM
10ISF
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the great advice. I will get a set of brake pads ASAP.

A couple of friends recommended Hawk pads. Any thoughts?

Yeah, I guess I was too late to do research since I was caught off guard at the service department. I just couldn't say yes to the $1400 est. for brake pads and front rotors replacement. At $600 for a set of new OEM front rotors, that sounded OK, so I went for them. As for the new pads, at $500+/front set, I couldn't say yes. Glad I didn't, but will need pads ASAP. Will get them done.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads & Rotors