IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Plasti dipped my emblems and grill

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-12, 09:30 AM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plasti dipped my emblems and grill

Did the emblems yesterday, finished up the grill today, will be touching up the few places where it pulled away on the grill later.

Argh where do I get the right blue paint to fix those rock chips on my F emblem!

Old 11-23-12, 09:33 AM
Wakemaker8
Driver

How did you tape off behind the grille? I will probably doing this in the next few weeks and don't want to spray through.
Old 11-23-12, 09:39 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the bezel off to get it good. It's pretty simple to get off and you can get the front and back so it won't want to peel off.
Old 11-23-12, 09:46 AM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Yeah I had a tiny bit left in the can, was from a friends stash, and was like wth lets try to spray the grill and it wasnt bad. As for taping I shoved a ton of newspaper up into the grill from behind then used a small sheet from an advertisement to tape to the bunched up paper to hold it in place and then taped that to the styrofoam that was on the support which was overkill with the amount of newspaper i had shoved in. When I pulled it out there was no sign of any spray getting passed the bunched up paper. I am thinking about removing it and just dipping it next weekend when I have more time but for now I am happy with how the spray turned out. Clean up was easy as any over spray was removed by gently wiping with a micro fiber towel. I am considering doing this to all the chrome trim around the windows, but also thinking about the 3M tape from another thread here. Where can I get the blue paint to touch up my emblem as I would rather not buy a new set and those paint chips are driving me crazy knowing they are there.
Old 11-23-12, 09:53 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Do the tips too!

Old 11-23-12, 09:58 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Not sure on where to get the blue paint, but I think you can get a new emblem from Sewell for fairly cheap.

Heres my front.

Old 11-23-12, 10:43 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good! I really like the black emblems on the SFP.
Old 11-23-12, 11:42 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I had my "F" emblems replaced under warranty because they were chipping...
Old 11-23-12, 01:12 PM
Wakemaker8
Driver

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
Do the tips too!
Dude! I hadn't even thought about doing the tips since they aren't connected! I wonder if they would just get lost on the Obsidian though.
Old 11-23-12, 03:16 PM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why didn't you just take the grille off? Seems like it would have been a lot easier to just do that rather than masking everything.
Old 11-23-12, 03:52 PM
Wakemaker8
Driver

Masking it off really isn't all that hard and you don't have to be very precise with the masking as all over spray just peels right off. Not sure how difficult it would be to take grille out but I imagine there would a great deal more effort than just taping up some newspaper.
Old 11-23-12, 05:12 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Taking the grille off takes 10 minutes. Taking the bumper off takes 10 minutes. Both very simple. You can take the bumper off and have both headlights out in under 15 minutes. I will say it'll take you longer on your first attempt.
Old 11-23-12, 05:18 PM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the grille come off without removing the bumper? On my previous car I had to remove the bumper to do everything.
Old 11-23-12, 05:30 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Grille comes off independent of the bumper. On the other hand, when you take the bumper off, the grille is still attatched to it. Long story short, you can just take the grill off the car without removing the bumper. The hardest part is separating the mesh from the bezel and getting the weatherstripping figured out. I was just pointing out the fact that all these little things are all pretty simple to do and this is coming from a guy who was scared to death to do it. I've learned everything from CL!

I think the plasti dip mod is by far the best bang for your buck to give your car a bit of personality. I also really like the fog lights coming on without the low beams. Looks very good when they're on with the led strips. Another very cheap and fairly easy mod.
Old 11-23-12, 07:12 PM
supafreeza
Pole Position

Awesome...looking good.

Has anybody seen the fender vent/side skirt on our cards plastidipped a different color? I'm curious how that would look.

Quick Reply: Plasti dipped my emblems and grill