IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

just got a speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-12, 06:54 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by chris6878
Ok I was speeding. Doing about 80 in a 45 on a 4 lane road in freaking aventura. Radar doesn't go off and cop comes out of nowhere. He gives me a ticket but says I was doin 64. I said nothing about about my actual speed.

I had a lawyer for my last ticket this summer and it was thrown out. Same situation except he said I was going faster than I wasn't. So my thing is I got a ticket from a cop who wasn't using radar. What are my chances of beating the case? Can I win it? Or should just pay it?

Thanks
I think the cop didn't use radar to caught you, it happen he just drove by and saw you was flying, therefore, he just guess your speed, that why he wrote you 64mph, my guess just go to court and fight that
Old 11-15-12, 01:26 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ohiois350
I think the cop didn't use radar to caught you, it happen he just drove by and saw you was flying, therefore, he just guess your speed, that why he wrote you 64mph, my guess just go to court and fight that
Yea that's the plan. I beat ticket before from a estimating cop. I'll let y'all know the outcom
Old 11-15-12, 02:20 PM
CCLSVTF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is that?
Trial by declaration is another way to contest a citation in Ca. Instead of fighting the ticket and actually showing up to court, with the trial by dec you fill out some forms explaining your side of the incident. The forms are then send to the officer where he has 30 days to respond. After he responds, the documents are reviewed by a judge and a decisions made. If the officer does not respond within 30 days, you win......
Old 11-15-12, 05:46 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok I was speeding. Doing about 80 in a 45 on a 4 lane road in freaking aventura. Radar doesn't go off and cop comes out of nowhere. He gives me a ticket but says I was doin 64. I said nothing about about my actual speed.

I had a lawyer for my last ticket this summer and it was thrown out. Same situation except he said I was going faster than I wasn't. So my thing is I got a ticket from a cop who wasn't using radar. What are my chances of beating the case? Can I win it? Or should just pay it?

Thanks
Tickets and F's are just a part of ownership. V-Spec is real. Pay and ease up in easily clocked zones.
Old 11-16-12, 05:34 AM
nonford
Rookie

Originally Posted by dmvp29
If he didn't get you by radar and you claim that he "came out of nowhere" to ticket you for exactly 64 MPH, then logically he must've gotten you by laser gun.

There are only 3 ways a cop can cite you for speeding: radar, "lidar," or pacing. You claim he didn't use radar and he clearly couldn't have been pacing you if he "came out of nowhere," so obviously he used a laser gun.

And it sounds to me like the cop was probably doing you a huge favor. Citing you for exactly 19 MPH over. 20 MPH+ over the speed limit is considered reckless driving and is grounds for a Class C misdemeanor charge.
There is also VASCAR, I know Mayland uses this!!! I think parts of Florida may still use it also. Also, on most tickets, it says what device or method was used to record your speed. What was checked or written?
Old 11-16-12, 10:41 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You should no better than to speed in Aventura, those *******s have nothing better to do than to guard pot holes and catch speeders. Which is the same thing I can say about Coral Gables cops which is where i live.
Old 11-16-12, 11:18 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nonford
There is also VASCAR, I know Mayland uses this!!! I think parts of Florida may still use it also. Also, on most tickets, it says what device or method was used to record your speed. What was checked or written?
Yeah I just looked it up. VASCAR is a completely reasonable way to visually estimate speed. Wait until car passes a fixed point. Start stopwatch. Stop stopwatch after car has passed fixed point #2 X distance from fixed point #1. Calculate average speed.

If that's what's meant by a police officer "visually estimating speed," then I haven no problem with this method.

But it's ludicrous to think that an officer merely saying "Oh I've had some training at guessing speeds of vehicles without explicitly computing average speed between two fixed points" can constitute sound evidence in a trial.

I'm sure it's admissible evidence, but I would fully expect such a testimony to be thrown out 100% of the time. Police would have unprecedented and unchecked power if visually estimating speed by nothing but "guessing based on experience" constituted sound (albeit "admissible") evidence.

Here's a relevant article where a federal appeals court completely through out a case that was based on an officer establishing probable cause to stop a vehicle after nothing more than "visually" guessing his speed -

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/38/3831.asp
Old 11-16-12, 12:24 PM
RX7 RAGE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got popped for over 100 mph in my F. My trial is in March and hopefully my lawyer can get it down to a 1 point ticket.
Old 11-16-12, 05:17 PM
CCLSVTF
Driver

Originally Posted by RX7 RAGE
I got popped for over 100 mph in my F. My trial is in March and hopefully my lawyer can get it down to a 1 point ticket.
Damn, in CA that will be tough... Wish you the best of luck....
Old 11-16-12, 05:20 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RX7 RAGE
Get ready to open up your wallet....
Old 11-16-12, 05:24 PM
CCLSVTF
Driver

If he didn't get you by radar and you claim that he "came out of nowhere" to ticket you for exactly 64 MPH, then logically he must've gotten you by laser gun.

There are only 3 ways a cop can cite you for speeding: radar, "lidar," or pacing. You claim he didn't use radar and he clearly couldn't have been pacing you if he "came out of nowhere," so obviously he used a laser gun.

And it sounds to me like the cop was probably doing you a huge favor. Citing you for exactly 19 MPH over. 20 MPH+ over the speed limit is considered reckless driving and is grounds for a Class C misdemeanor charge.
As Lobuxracer also said, there are actually 4 methods the police in CA can measure speed. Radar, Lidar, Pace method, and Visual Estimation. Most officers in CA are certified in Visual Estimation +/- 5 MPH of the vehicles actual speed and it is completely allowed in court. Some cops in CA are certified to +/- 2 MPH of a vehicles actual speed. But of course, they have to be certified in it. Just like use of Radar or Lidar. If the Pace method is used, the vehicle must also have an up to date calibration certificate....
Old 11-16-12, 06:07 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CCLSVTF
As Lobuxracer also said, there are actually 4 methods the police in CA can measure speed. Radar, Lidar, Pace method, and Visual Estimation. Most officers in CA are certified in Visual Estimation +/- 5 MPH of the vehicles actual speed and it is completely allowed in court. Some cops in CA are certified to +/- 2 MPH of a vehicles actual speed. But of course, they have to be certified in it. Just like use of Radar or Lidar. If the Pace method is used, the vehicle must also have an up to date calibration certificate....
Yep, in NC officers have to pass a visual estimation test within 5mph to be able to even be radar certified.
Old 11-17-12, 08:19 AM
Rbtmatt
Rookie

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
wrong time to get a ticket especially in florida. they are expanding court buildings and what not, they need all the money they can get. i work closely with these sysyems in surround states and all i can say is good luck. at least here in NC we have prayer for judgement but even that's a grey area nowadays.
Why to some people think cops write tickets to make money? Although it's true the city gets a small amount for each ticket, a lot of the money goes to different programs to make our roads safer.

And sorry, but anyone who goes 85 in a 45 deserves a ticket! Just pay it and slow down!
Old 11-17-12, 08:24 AM
Rbtmatt
Rookie

Yeah I just looked it up. VASCAR is a completely reasonable way to visually estimate speed. Wait until car passes a fixed point. Start stopwatch. Stop stopwatch after car has passed fixed point #2 X distance from fixed point #1. Calculate average speed.

If that's what's meant by a police officer "visually estimating speed," then I haven no problem with this method.
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/38/3831.asp
In California this is called a "speed trap" and is illegal.

Last edited by Rbtmatt; 11-17-12 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-17-12, 10:58 AM
CCLSVTF
Driver

Originally Posted by Rbtmatt
Why to some people think cops write tickets to make money? Although it's true the city gets a small amount for each ticket, a lot of the money goes to different programs to make our roads safer.

And sorry, but anyone who goes 85 in a 45 deserves a ticket! Just pay it and slow down!
Very true.... I heard that cites only get like 3% of the citation... State of CA gets the rest of it... Cities make money from parking tickets, prop/sales tax, and other things.... Tickets to pay for anything.....

Quick Reply: just got a speeding ticket