IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

SEMA 2012 Ohlins Interview - Road and Track Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-12, 04:55 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SEMA 2012 Ohlins Interview - Road and Track Coilovers

Hey guys, we got to interview Jeff from Ohlins suspension out at Sema last week. We did a video with him going over how Ohlins sets themselves apart from other manufactures.

Thought you guys would like to see it, really good info in here!

Also -They have a set out now for the IS-F

Old 11-08-12, 11:45 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm a bit disappointed that a $3400 kit is only single adjustable. The importance of separating rebound/compression is incredibly important especially if they are thinking of marketing this setup as a high performance race inspired and race technology derived product .

I hope they make a IS-F specific coilover and not shared with ISx50 with upgraded spring rates. I'm talking revalved for the spring rates and tested on the car itself.

Although no doubt Ohlins is a well respectable company and I look forward to seeing this on an IS-F. Does anyone know if they have any introductory specials available?
Old 11-09-12, 01:06 PM
jsl757
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm happy to see Ohlins has brought out a kit for the IS-F. I have a set of Road & Track Ohlins on another car and its my favorite setup that I've run so far - although it is pricey for a single adjustable piece the handling feels awesome on and off the track.
Old 11-09-12, 01:48 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

I think you'll find that the Ohlins kit will be a more composed and better feeling and performing kit than some of the other "double adjustable" kits out there. The amount of time and effort they put into each kit is incredible compared to the R&D a lot of other companies do before releasing their kits.

If they aren't 100% satisfied, and i mean 100%, with a kit, it wont be released.

Perfect example - the 05-07 Subaru Sti kits were out for awhile, and due to the factory suspension design it would wear the top bearing faster than Ohlins liked, so they pulled the kit completely. It wasn't an Ohlins design flaw but a factory one, but Ohlins felt that it would reflect badly on their kits. Most companies would just blame it on the OEM design and move on. They are serious about their products.
Old 11-09-12, 02:36 PM
MAV3556
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So which one is better? KW V3's or Ohlins? Any comparisons?
Old 11-09-12, 02:45 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Ohlins are used in Lambo aventadors....if that means anything...
Old 11-09-12, 02:48 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

nice! would love to have a set of these but priced a bit high
Old 11-09-12, 04:45 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MAV3556
So which one is better? KW V3's or Ohlins? Any comparisons?
KW makes a nice kit, I have nothing bad to say about that. But I would definitely rate the Ohlins kits above KW in terms of overall quality and performance.

Ohlins price reflects the quality of the product, so it's not for everyone, but it is nice to have the option for those you want it
Old 11-09-12, 05:10 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wasn't it Ohlins that Lexus had to help them with changes to the factory IS-F suspension for the 2011 MY?
Old 11-09-12, 07:10 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

How much is the kit for the isf? Do the preloads on the springs come preset or should the car be corrner balanced after install and alignment.
Old 11-09-12, 07:40 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

MSRP is $3695 for the Is-F kit for those of you who are curious.

The Road and Track Coilovers have separate adjustments for height and pre-load. So I would suggest getting the height set where you want it, drive a bit to make sure the suspension is all settled then re-check height. at that point I would go get an alignment and a corner balance to get the most out of the suspension.

However, if you don't opt for the corner balance you can still enjoy these with a standard set pre-load at all 4 corners.
Old 11-10-12, 10:20 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Circuit We have been working with them for over a year now and the IS-F application is far from complete. While Ohlins has the application for the 250/350 the spring rates do not work on the F. I have them in hand and have been working to make something work. If you sell these to an F owner they will not be very happy.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 11-10-12, 10:54 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FIGS
Circuit We have been working with them for over a year now and the IS-F application is far from complete. While Ohlins has the application for the 250/350 the spring rates do not work on the F. I have them in hand and have been working to make something work. If you sell these to an F owner they will not be very happy.
Hmm, OK, I was told different at SEMA.

I'll confrim with them, thanks.
Old 11-10-12, 11:54 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
Hmm, OK, I was told different at SEMA.

I'll confrim with them, thanks.
They list it, but they do not have an F specific part number.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 11-10-12, 01:55 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
I think you'll find that the Ohlins kit will be a more composed and better feeling and performing kit than some of the other "double adjustable" kits out there. The amount of time and effort they put into each kit is incredible compared to the R&D a lot of other companies do before releasing their kits.

If they aren't 100% satisfied, and i mean 100%, with a kit, it wont be released.

Perfect example - the 05-07 Subaru Sti kits were out for awhile, and due to the factory suspension design it would wear the top bearing faster than Ohlins liked, so they pulled the kit completely. It wasn't an Ohlins design flaw but a factory one, but Ohlins felt that it would reflect badly on their kits. Most companies would just blame it on the OEM design and move on. They are serious about their products.
One of the reasons why they have been used in Formula 1.

Quick Reply: SEMA 2012 Ohlins Interview - Road and Track Coilovers