IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Dealer didnt put oil in my car!

Old 10-31-12, 06:26 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Top it off and call it a day. They didn't hurt anything if the light didn't come on solid and stay on when you started it. There was plenty of oil in the engine.
I had thought about that but I wanted to be sure. Yea the light would come on and go off.

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Me.

When I was in college long while back I worked at car dealership as porter and mechanic apprentice. You wouldn't believe the things that can happen in dealerships with your car.

Ever since then if my cars are expensive and still under warranty..and I take them to the dealerships, I always always double check the car for damage and the work was performed correctly before leaving the lot.

As soon as you leave the lot, the burden of proof is on you.

Now go get in your F and do a burnout.
Yea I have the platinum ext warranty so I go to them for everything. Getting my money worth
Old 10-31-12, 07:30 AM
kteng7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petshark
I left the dealership last month after an oil change and I saw they parked awfully close to the curb, sure enough they pulled to close hit my bumper and backed up and never said a thing to me. I had the manager come out and he said it was like that but you could see the concrete was scraped fresh and there was plastic lying on the ground from my bumper lol. So they painted my bumper and then I went back out and saw my wheel was scratched, I was heated at that point, they hit it in the car wash on the rail so they said we'll paint it and see If you like it, if not we'll replace it. Here's the good part, I had semi metallic brake pads at the time (tons of brake dust) Their wheel guy painted my wheel and said it looked great when he compared it to the other ones..... He painted it to match the dirty ones lmao. That was awesome, double WIN!! so he repainted it and it still looked terrible so they ended up buying me a new wheel. You should see how they treat my car now, it's pretty comical.
what a terrible dealership and all the troubles you had to go through to get it all fix but btw, what dealership did you go to ? are you from chicago?
Old 10-31-12, 08:20 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Ok I just got the call from the dealer. He said the f takes about 9 quarts of oil. They drained and measured the amount in my car and it was only 6.5 quarts. He said because the mechanics see so few ISf's that he probably thought it was a 350. Dumb *** mechanic. My f has joe z everything and sikky headers. Ain't kno is 350 that sounds like mine.

They checked everything out and car is ok. The low oil caused the sensor to go off. They will be towing the car back to my house this afternoon. I also will be getting a free oil change for my inconvenience.

I guess I will be checking my dip stick after each change. Curse these rare vehicles.
Old 10-31-12, 10:22 AM
Petshark
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kteng7
what a terrible dealership and all the troubles you had to go through to get it all fix but btw, what dealership did you go to ? are you from chicago?
I live about 2.5 hours away. Called Lujacks. It really wasn't that bad, yea it was a pain to drive over there so much but they took care of me so I can't complain too much. I would go to a different dealer but that is the only Lexus dealer where I live.
Old 10-31-12, 10:28 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by chris6878
Ok I just got the call from the dealer. He said the f takes about 9 quarts of oil. They drained and measured the amount in my car and it was only 6.5 quarts. He said because the mechanics see so few ISf's that he probably thought it was a 350. Dumb *** mechanic. My f has joe z everything and sikky headers. Ain't kno is 350 that sounds like mine.

They checked everything out and car is ok. The low oil caused the sensor to go off. They will be towing the car back to my house this afternoon. I also will be getting a free oil change for my inconvenience.

I guess I will be checking my dip stick after each change. Curse these rare vehicles.
Well first, make sure they understand that it takes 9.8Q of oil, and not "about 9 quarts." Second, they could do a little better than just one free oil change, but I suppose it isn't worth raising hell over. The IS-F is a rare car, yes, but it isn't an exotic and if anyone knows how to work on them, you'd expect your Lexus DEALERSHIP would. C'mon man!

Glad it worked out for you though. That coulda been bad.
Old 10-31-12, 10:41 AM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Free oil changes would be a good place to start.
Yeah, air is free and that's apparently what they put in the first time.
Old 10-31-12, 12:12 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Originally Posted by vbb
Well first, make sure they understand that it takes 9.8Q of oil, and not "about 9 quarts." Second, they could do a little better than just one free oil change, but I suppose it isn't worth raising hell over. The IS-F is a rare car, yes, but it isn't an exotic and if anyone knows how to work on them, you'd expect your Lexus DEALERSHIP would. C'mon man!

Yea I dont feel like going through all the trouble. As long as my car is ok im good. IF they had done damage I wouldve raised hell.

I once took my 2000 gs 350 to toyota for a timing belt change. idiots didnt tighten the belt and it came off while I was driving. I raised hell and they replaced the engine. I went from 85k to a 50k engne. The pistons were blown because of the timing belt. Car drove perfect for 5 years after.

Originally Posted by 7No
Yeah, air is free and that's apparently what they put in the first time.
lol
Old 10-31-12, 12:48 PM
DEEBOGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man thats all bad. Complain and try to get a year of free oil changes!!
Old 10-31-12, 04:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,837 Likes on 2,326 Posts

You guys checking the oil level - seriously - when you start the car, if there isn't enough oil to run the engine, the yellow oil level light will come on, and if there is no oil at all, the red oil pressure light will come on. When you see both lights lit - turn the engine off immediately. Truth be told, you could drive around with no oil for a surprisingly long time - ever see a Prolong commercial? - but if your goal is to keep the engine in one piece for 200k miles, it's not a good plan.

In this case, they made a mistake - granted a stupid mistake, and the tech should be reprimanded in a way sufficient to make sure he/she looks up the technical documentation before working on another one, but not a mistake sufficient to cause any permanent damage or impact long term reliability.

Free oil changes for a year? Really? Who do you think actually pays for that ish? Every other person using the dealership pays because the dealer is not absorbing the cost, they're just adding a little piece of it to every repair order they write. Some of you guys don't seem to get the very clear picture - NOTHING is free! Some poor schlep is paying, and odds are it's you when you go to buy anything at the dealership.

I think the OP has a good attitude about this - nothing's damaged, let's just not do this again!
Old 10-31-12, 04:38 PM
Petshark
Driver

Originally Posted by vbb

Actually 9.8 quarts of oil is a misprint. If you put 9.8 you will be over filling it. My dealer told me it takes 8.9-9 I can't remember exactly.
Old 10-31-12, 04:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,837 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Originally Posted by Petshark
Actually 9.8 quarts of oil is a misprint. If you put 9.8 you will be over filling it. My dealer told me it takes 8.9-9 I can't remember exactly.
Screenshot from the factory service manual. Your dealer told you wrong information.
Attached Thumbnails Dealer didnt put oil in my car!-2ur-gse-oil-fill-specs.jpg  
Old 10-31-12, 08:21 PM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sux cause JM is a top notch dealer
Old 10-31-12, 10:03 PM
Petshark
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Screenshot from the factory service manual. Your dealer told you wrong information.
Screen shots from my garage, didn't even open the 10qt, and yes i changed the filter. I'm just trying to let you know, you don't have to believe. Maybe I have a 4.8 L Dealer didnt put oil in my car!-image.jpg

Last edited by Petshark; 10-31-12 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-31-12, 10:21 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^Guy, I have been changing my own oil since I got my F close to four years ago. With a proper drain, wait until the oil stops draining from the crankcase, it takes 10 quarts. Yep, 10 quarts.

So, seriously, you think Lexus got it wrong and you and your dealer got it right

Lou
Old 10-31-12, 10:30 PM
Petshark
Driver

^ no kiddin. Guess my F is F'in retăded.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer didnt put oil in my car!