Dealer didnt put oil in my car!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-12, 04:33 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rogzballz
Sad thing is that if you want something done right, have to do it yourself
Yea and if you mess up you can blame yourself.
Old 10-30-12, 05:15 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Im sure your car is fine, was probably just low on oil.

On the other hand this will teach you to always look over your car before it leaves the dealership.
Old 10-30-12, 05:17 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Im sure your car is fine, was probably just low on oil.

On the other hand this will teach you to always look over your car before it leaves the dealership.
Yes it will. But how many people check the dip stick after a oil change. lol I guess I will start.
Old 10-30-12, 05:33 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Good luck if you honestly think they are going to do something extensive like tear your entire engine apart, or replace it with a new one. Was what they did a horrible mistake? Yes. Was your car damaged because of it? Probably not. As you noted, there was SOME oil in there, just not nearly the right amount. If it had been bone dry, you would not have been able to travel 25mi. As long as this incident was noted juuuuust in case you have a problem down the road, I'd say you're good.

They definitely should give you something for the inconvenience of it all though, especially seeing as how you've been a loyal customer. Free oil changes would be a good place to start.
Old 10-30-12, 05:47 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Originally Posted by vbb
Good luck if you honestly think they are going to do something extensive like tear your entire engine apart, or replace it with a new one. Was what they did a horrible mistake? Yes. Was your car damaged because of it? Probably not. As you noted, there was SOME oil in there, just not nearly the right amount. If it had been bone dry, you would not have been able to travel 25mi. As long as this incident was noted juuuuust in case you have a problem down the road, I'd say you're good.

They definitely should give you something for the inconvenience of it all though, especially seeing as how you've been a loyal customer. Free oil changes would be a good place to start.
Yea I never thought of getting a replacement engine or anything like that. I dont think (hope) its really messed up. Like I said no smoke or leaking. Just oil light. Now I do want them to light a fire under the *** of the mechanic who doenst know a F when he sees one.
Old 10-30-12, 05:49 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This happened to me back in '09 on an '07 F-150 with a 5.4l.
Didn't sound quite right on the way home, only 2 miles. Checked the oil later on & sure enough.........dry as a bone.
Shop sent a couple mechanics to my house to verify as they had a hard time believing me. They wanted to put oil in it & take it to the shop. I insisted on a written release by the shop owner BEFORE it left the driveway. Release took responsibility on any internal damage related to oil starvation. He was hesitant until I stated I could just as easily call the local Ford dealer & have them review it. A replacement engine at the time would have run about $10K installed. The mechanics waited about an hour, in the driveway, before the release was received.
Mechanics took it to the shop, changed the oil again once back. Drove it about 20 miles during the day & changed the oil again. Each change was sent out for analysis looking for unusual copper or other base metal filings. Changed every couple days for the next week.
Oil showed clear each test.
This happened about 3 months before the lease was up. I was seriously considering buying it at lease end.............until this happened.
Old 10-30-12, 06:28 PM
t4orce
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had my Mazdaspeed 6, the dealer servicing the car replaced a radiator under warranty failed to put any coolant in the car. I only noticed the temp guage whilst on a highway and had to limp the car to safety. Apprentices! But also the fault of the senior mechanics who don't check the apprentices work before the car leaves the workshop.
Old 10-30-12, 06:35 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rogzballz
8qts ? Which car do you have?

The 8 quart model
Old 10-30-12, 07:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Top it off and call it a day. They didn't hurt anything if the light didn't come on solid and stay on when you started it. There was plenty of oil in the engine.
Old 10-30-12, 07:57 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Take pics.... document document document...

I'm sure its fine.
Old 10-30-12, 08:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
Take pics.... document document document...

I'm sure its fine.
Not even worth the trouble. There are two lights - low level and low pressure. If the low pressure light comes on and stays on, you're screwed. If the low level light comes on and flickers, fill it up, and be happy you have a light to tell you you're low on oil. If the low pressure light never comes on, the engine has never seen low oil pressure and is completely fine. Low pressure is red, low level is yellow.
Old 10-30-12, 08:15 PM
Petshark
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I left the dealership last month after an oil change and I saw they parked awfully close to the curb, sure enough they pulled to close hit my bumper and backed up and never said a thing to me. I had the manager come out and he said it was like that but you could see the concrete was scraped fresh and there was plastic lying on the ground from my bumper lol. So they painted my bumper and then I went back out and saw my wheel was scratched, I was heated at that point, they hit it in the car wash on the rail so they said we'll paint it and see If you like it, if not we'll replace it. Here's the good part, I had semi metallic brake pads at the time (tons of brake dust) Their wheel guy painted my wheel and said it looked great when he compared it to the other ones..... He painted it to match the dirty ones lmao. That was awesome, double WIN!! so he repainted it and it still looked terrible so they ended up buying me a new wheel. You should see how they treat my car now, it's pretty comical.
Old 10-30-12, 10:12 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I have everything done by the dealer every 5K except for changing the oil and filter

Hope your engine is fine.
Old 10-30-12, 10:20 PM
Petshark
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Autobacs
I have everything done by the dealer every 5K except for changing the oil and filter

Hope your engine is fine.
That's the only thing I allow them to do lol. Everything else is a rip off, more fun learning how to do it yourself.
Old 10-31-12, 05:17 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by chris6878
Yes it will. But how many people check the dip stick after a oil change. lol I guess I will start.
Me.

When I was in college long while back I worked at car dealership as porter and mechanic apprentice. You wouldn't believe the things that can happen in dealerships with your car.

Ever since then if my cars are expensive and still under warranty..and I take them to the dealerships, I always always double check the car for damage and the work was performed correctly before leaving the lot.

As soon as you leave the lot, the burden of proof is on you.

Now go get in your F and do a burnout.

Quick Reply: Dealer didnt put oil in my car!