IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

novel recent dyno numbers

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-12, 05:47 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Its because he tells the truth. I tell the truth about things on here too and am chastised for it.
I believe it is more how the message is being delivered
Old 10-31-12, 05:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Its because he tells the truth. I tell the truth about things on here too and am chastised for it.
Originally Posted by ISFSteve
I believe it is more how the message is being delivered
So the good news here is, I'd say it exactly the same if I were standing in front of you. The bad news is, you can't read how I said it. You can only read the words and impart your own impression of how I might have said it.

And - this is totally off topic.

I'm really looking forward to this. I genuinely hope Novel brings something new to the table.
Old 10-31-12, 05:59 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Subscribed. I am crossing my fingers for this tune to happen..
Old 11-01-12, 06:26 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It hasn't been done because you can't get to the binary, and the encryption doesn't have to follow any recognizable standard because there's no interchange with any outside resource. The Internet is great because we have relatively universal standards for encryption we can share and be confident they work. For a proprietary system, there's no requirement to use a known standard method or any set number of bits for the hash, the salt, or the algorithm. I'm pretty sure that has a lot to do with why the 1993 Supra's ECM remains a mystery to this day.

FWIW, if you only see the downside in what I post, you're missing half the message. I post what I know to be true. Sometimes it's not popular, but it's what I know to be true.

If Novel has the tools to tighten up the OEM maps for fuel and timing in US market ECMs, it will be a huge first. The last time something like this was possible was when G-Force (now Technosquare) offered a daughterboard modification with a PROM to remap OEM ECMs back in the '90s.

Why am I skeptical? Just search this forum for ECM tuning and see how many have said company xyz is building a tune for our cars, then 2 months, 4 months, 6 months later - nothing. Or even better, the guys claiming to be able to put a supercharger on the car and make it work which ended up being a complete disaster. So, let's just say anytime someone brings this up, I'm going to believe it can't be done until I see it actually done.
Very well said! Do I sense another engineer here??? I wonder how many engineers or techies own F's. How fun would it be to have an engineering project among F owners where we develop a solution or better yet get one of the stand alone systems listed below wired in. I would volunteer my F as a guinea pig.

So coming from the Z world we have a few stand alone systems used in conjunction with the OEM ECU that could be great candidates for the F.

Haltech - http://www.haltech.com/
ProEFI - http://proefi.com/
ViPEC - http://www.vi-pec.com/

The haltech and ProEFI have universal systems I believe the ViPEC as well, but I'm not completely sure. I have expertise in building/writing control systems for VSAT systems in addition to custom communications products I.E microwave. I wonder what resources we have here at our own disposal.

Last edited by Bigcloud; 11-01-12 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Ninja edit
Old 11-01-12, 10:49 AM
Dinma001
Driver School Candidate

Engineering Student here

URD does supercharger systems for toyota trucks with great success.

http://urdusa.com/p1260519056/UCON-E...2313fc961bba3c

Maybe they could be at least a resource for a starting point.
Old 11-01-12, 12:26 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigcloud
Very well said! Do I sense another engineer here??? I wonder how many engineers or techies own F's. How fun would it be to have an engineering project among F owners where we develop a solution or better yet get one of the stand alone systems listed below wired in. I would volunteer my F as a guinea pig.

So coming from the Z world we have a few stand alone systems used in conjunction with the OEM ECU that could be great candidates for the F.

The haltech and ProEFI have universal systems I believe the ViPEC as well, but I'm not completely sure. I have expertise in building/writing control systems for VSAT systems in addition to custom communications products I.E microwave. I wonder what resources we have here at our own disposal.
Syveks
uprev
ecutek

~Dv8
Old 11-01-12, 01:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Bigcloud

I was a member of DIY-EFI at one time. It fell apart because there were people who chose to take the work of others and commercialize it for their own gains. This is what usually happens to projects like these. It's unfortunate.
Old 11-01-12, 04:11 PM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

I was a member of DIY-EFI at one time. It fell apart because there were people who chose to take the work of others and commercialize it for their own gains. This is what usually happens to projects like these. It's unfortunate.
That sucks that people were seeking glory. I hate when stuff ends like that. I do however, have two friends that are attorney's. They could/would draft documents and everything to make sure something like this doesn't happen again. It would be a minimal cost I would be willing to absorb for their time.
Old 11-01-12, 04:14 PM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dv8tion388
Syveks
uprev
ecutek

~Dv8
I know the guys at uprev are pretty smart. They are the premier ECU tuning solution for the Z's for people that don't want to go stand alone. Maybe they could be persuaded ($$) in researching this.

I wonder if a company were to be formed that was funded by F owners where we would put an RFP or request for proposal on the street and have companies bidding on the rights to provide a tuning solution?
Old 11-01-12, 06:33 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

An ECU flash for any car shouldn't be over $1k no matter how great it is. That's just obscene. And I really don't think Novel has found a magic bullet...but a piggy-back system with tune could prove decent. But nobody else has done so yet so I honestly don't expect much.

I'd pay $1k for a simple ECU flash/tune that would significantly boost output. But with our ECU I really don't think it's possible.

Originally Posted by ISFpat
I've noticed Lobuxacer is incredibly negative on almost all of his posts.. and it seems he only posts when he has something negative to say. Although I'm an advocate of stating facts and it may come as harsh to others.. I'm sure he could word his posts in a more positive light instead of arrogant. This is just imo.
Really? He's likely one of the top 5 best resources for ISF info on this site (or any to be honest). It's not negative, it's realistic based on years of experience.
Old 11-02-12, 07:31 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ISFpat
I've noticed Lobuxacer is incredibly negative on almost all of his posts.. and it seems he only posts when he has something negative to say. Although I'm an advocate of stating facts and it may come as harsh to others.. I'm sure he could word his posts in a more positive light instead of arrogant. This is just imo.
chicks dig ****holes; i'm willing to bet his wifes a rocket

on another note, there is no way I would pay over a grand for a NA tune. Hard to justify when 911 Turbos, and GTR's are making 100+hp for the same amount of money.
Old 11-02-12, 01:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by 4everkidd
chicks dig ****holes; i'm willing to bet his wifes a rocket

on another note, there is no way I would pay over a grand for a NA tune. Hard to justify when 911 Turbos, and GTR's are making 100+hp for the same amount of money.
She's from Brooklyn. I doubt I need to say more.

Saying you won't spend a grand on a tune because it won't do the same thing as it does to a FI platform doesn't make sense. Comparing them is apples and oranges.
Old 11-02-12, 06:18 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd pay a grand for a (good) N/A tune if it could get me at least 30 whp...without blinking an eye.
Old 11-03-12, 04:35 PM
SCV8
Instructor

A good piggyback should do the trick, after all, the increase in power is mostly in the upper revs/large throttle opening, where the oem stuff won't reject the alterations.

I remember ten years ago, when all the SC4 guys were waiting for some place to crack the ECU; it never happened.

I'll bet that a few mods to the stock exhaust would help tons, and save, well, tons.
Old 11-03-12, 05:29 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

It hasn't been done because you can't get to the binary, and the encryption doesn't have to follow any recognizable standard because there's no interchange with any outside resource. The Internet is great because we have relatively universal standards for encryption we can share and be confident they work. For a proprietary system, there's no requirement to use a known standard method or any set number of bits for the hash, the salt, or the algorithm. I'm pretty sure that has a lot to do with why the 1993 Supra's ECM remains a mystery to this day.

FWIW, if you only see the downside in what I post, you're missing half the message. I post what I know to be true. Sometimes it's not popular, but it's what I know to be true.
If Novel has the tools to tighten up the OEM maps for fuel and timing in US market ECMs, it will be a huge first. The last time something like this was possible was when G-Force (now Technosquare) offered a daughterboard modification with a PROM to remap OEM ECMs back in the '90s.

Why am I skeptical? Just search this forum for ECM tuning and see how many have said company xyz is building a tune for our cars, then 2 months, 4 months, 6 months later - nothing. Or even better, the guys claiming to be able to put a supercharger on the car and make it work which ended up being a complete disaster. So, let's just say anytime someone brings this up, I'm going to believe it can't be done until I see it actually done.

The biggest difference between comments from Lobuxracer, Figs, Caymandive, Lowrideraz, JoeZ, Slay, etc. (to name a few, as there are others) vs. all the other armchair quarterbacks is that their comments automatically come with earned respect, as they have been long time contributors to CL IS-F. When I say contribution, I mean in the form of posting "How-Tos" and providing unbias facts from their experiences (e.g, countless dyno data and technical data). Remember, the key is their past contributions.

For all the other armchair quarterbacks that think they're speaking truth, let it be known that your opinion can easily be misconstrued and you could potentially be chastised, so YOU grow a thick skin. If you can't take it, then don't dish it. Armchair quarterbacks can easily be identified by way of a simple search to recall all your commentary within CL. I don't give a ***** to how much experience you've had with other models. You're in the IS-F community now...... Remember, negative commentary is not “truth.”

For all you newcomers to CL, take comments from veterans, as constructive criticism and grow thick skin. Realize that a comment from a CL contributor is not personal b/c they are speaking from experience.

Quick Reply: novel recent dyno numbers