IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

novel recent dyno numbers

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-12, 04:43 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is everyone just making numbers up and running with them?
Old 10-31-12, 05:14 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat
I've noticed Lobuxacer is incredibly negative on almost all of his posts.. and it seems he only posts when he has something negative to say. Although I'm an advocate of stating facts and it may come as harsh to others.. I'm sure he could word his posts in a more positive light instead of arrogant. This is just imo.
Its because he tells the truth. I tell the truth about things on here too and am chastised for it.
Old 10-31-12, 06:51 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Guys this isn't the place to judge people based on how they write their post on the internet. If you have a problem with them discuss it on PM. Otherwise just leave them be and ignore them, it's not worth anybody's time.

Back on topic, I think it would be great if an ECM flash from Novel would work on our cars. Though I find it unlikely a tune that works on a JDM Lexus would work on the USDM counterpart. It does seem simple enough, but it would be like trying to play a Super Famicom videogame on a Super Nintendo, or like playing Blu-ray on a regular DVD player. It's just different hardware altogether. Novel would have to crack into a USDM ECM and essentially start from scratch to get a tune to work. Otherwise we would end up with bricked cars.
Old 10-31-12, 07:11 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boma
Guys this isn't the place to judge people based on how they write their post on the internet. If you have a problem with them discuss it on PM. Otherwise just leave them be and ignore them, it's not worth anybody's time.

Back on topic, I think it would be great if an ECM flash from Novel would work on our cars. Though I find it unlikely a tune that works on a JDM Lexus would work on the USDM counterpart. It does seem simple enough, but it would be like trying to play a Super Famicom videogame on a Super Nintendo, or like playing Blu-ray on a regular DVD player. It's just different hardware altogether. Novel would have to crack into a USDM ECM and essentially start from scratch to get a tune to work. Otherwise we would end up with bricked cars.
+1

Being a software engineer I wonder what's been the hold up on cracking the ECU. Is there some issue with calculating the checksums? Or is it a protocol issue? Anybody?
Old 10-31-12, 10:35 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Originally Posted by Bigcloud
+1

Being a software engineer I wonder what's been the hold up on cracking the ECU. Is there some issue with calculating the checksums? Or is it a protocol issue? Anybody?
The Bosch Encryption. There is a thread on there that is more technical about it all.
Bottom line is that its never going to happen.
Old 10-31-12, 10:55 AM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

well novel is very confident that it will work on us ecus. am i skeptical? hell yes i am but im giving novel a shot. again ill know more on nov 10th. and i promise i wont disappear from this thread leaving everyone wondering what happened
Old 10-31-12, 10:56 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

U cant disappear , i know where u live David lolz and were you work
Old 10-31-12, 11:16 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Did Boma just shout out Super Famicom? Whoa! JDMtyte, yo!
Old 10-31-12, 11:22 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
The Bosch Encryption. There is a thread on there that is more technical about it all.
Bottom line is that its never going to happen.
Hmmm. Sounds like a job for a super computer doing brute force. It's ONLY 128-bit encryption right? That makes it a little easier. It's not like it's AES-256 or the RSA algorithm that has huuuuuge prime numbers.
Old 10-31-12, 12:18 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Originally Posted by Bigcloud
Hmmm. Sounds like a job for a super computer doing brute force. It's ONLY 128-bit encryption right? That makes it a little easier. It's not like it's AES-256 or the RSA algorithm that has huuuuuge prime numbers.
I'm not sure what the encryption depth is. If I remember correctly some algorithms are not allowed to be used outside of the United States...unless that "rule" has been done away with.
Old 10-31-12, 02:46 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have already contacted the owner of Novel and he mentioned that his representative will be going through a few states, California being one of them. He also provided an email to contact that representative to set up a date as well.
Old 10-31-12, 02:50 PM
Franch1se
Rookie

Originally Posted by Boma

Boma, using your example it would work then. I played my Super Famicom games on my Super Nintendo. It was a simple mod to do that. lol

I havn't done any mods to my F yet but I'd be interested in this too depending on cost. Also if I remember correctly the Novel exhaust still had cats so if it does make 488 whp those running catless will likely push about 500. Though I do like how their exhaust has an actuator to close part of the exhaust to quiet it when you just want to cruise.
Old 10-31-12, 03:43 PM
Boma
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Franch1se
Boma, using your example it would work then. I played my Super Famicom games on my Super Nintendo. It was a simple mod to do that. lol
Lol I was waiting for someone to catch that! All you had to do was drill those slots on the back. But you get the analogy, with modification anything is possible!

I don't have many performance mods yet besides the Joe Z pipe and the aFe filter, but I am saving up to get either the headers first or the exhaust. It would be interesting to see how the pricing would be for the Novel exhaust and if they would offer a version without the actuator. Their exhaust has the most unique note for our cars, it's like a high revving exotic. Not trying to sound skeptical but I hope the audio wasn't enhanced in those videos.
Old 10-31-12, 04:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

It hasn't been done because you can't get to the binary, and the encryption doesn't have to follow any recognizable standard because there's no interchange with any outside resource. The Internet is great because we have relatively universal standards for encryption we can share and be confident they work. For a proprietary system, there's no requirement to use a known standard method or any set number of bits for the hash, the salt, or the algorithm. I'm pretty sure that has a lot to do with why the 1993 Supra's ECM remains a mystery to this day.

FWIW, if you only see the downside in what I post, you're missing half the message. I post what I know to be true. Sometimes it's not popular, but it's what I know to be true.

If Novel has the tools to tighten up the OEM maps for fuel and timing in US market ECMs, it will be a huge first. The last time something like this was possible was when G-Force (now Technosquare) offered a daughterboard modification with a PROM to remap OEM ECMs back in the '90s.

Why am I skeptical? Just search this forum for ECM tuning and see how many have said company xyz is building a tune for our cars, then 2 months, 4 months, 6 months later - nothing. Or even better, the guys claiming to be able to put a supercharger on the car and make it work which ended up being a complete disaster. So, let's just say anytime someone brings this up, I'm going to believe it can't be done until I see it actually done.
Old 10-31-12, 05:42 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

^^ well said. if novels tune works for the US market then it will be a great step foward. if not then oh well..when i move back to japan, ill trade my us F and buy another F in japan and tune it. only time will tell. but as i said before... ill do my best with askng questions and wont be like other threads where the op decides not to update anymore cause their tuning or turbo or supercharging didnt work. yeah i understand people get busy but posting an update takes a couple minutes.

Quick Reply: novel recent dyno numbers