IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Chip in my windshield

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-12, 07:26 AM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chip in my windshield

So driving home last night a rock got kicked up by a car in front of me and it put the smallest of chips into my windshield, should I worry and get the chip fixed. Its so damn small I cant get a picture of it but its visible and you can feel it if you run your finger over it. Just what you want in a 3 week old car
Old 10-21-12, 08:17 AM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Actually I was able to get a pic, just had to get a good angle and had to get pretty close to see it on my phones camera.
Old 10-21-12, 08:19 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

No biggie..get it repaired it will be fine get some clear paint protection film installed on your car as well...
Old 10-21-12, 08:38 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

get use to it.
I have about 5 to 10
apparently they cant be repaired because they are to shallow and the adhesive can not bond to it.
let me know if you find a fix
Old 10-21-12, 09:25 AM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Call safelite maybe they can do something about it.
Old 10-21-12, 10:14 AM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have probably 5-10 on my 08 as well, only bothers me in certain light after I've just washed the car because it makes it seem like the windshield is still dirty !
Old 10-21-12, 10:28 AM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RCM83
I have probably 5-10 on my 08 as well, only bothers me in certain light after I've just washed the car because it makes it seem like the windshield is still dirty !
Thats exactly why I saw it, was washing all the nasty **** off the windshield and was wiping and was like wtf is that a chip and it just annoyed the hell out of me since I've only had the car for 3 weeks and its brand new. My old honda never got a chip in 12 years of driving it and I saw plenty of big rocks come and hit it right on, bothers me that the first rock to hit it would chip it.
Old 10-21-12, 10:30 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

at 3 weeks mine had two. i wasnt happy either and inquired at all the glass around to no avail
Old 10-21-12, 12:26 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by farpetrad
Thats exactly why I saw it, was washing all the nasty **** off the windshield and was wiping and was like wtf is that a chip and it just annoyed the hell out of me since I've only had the car for 3 weeks and its brand new. My old honda never got a chip in 12 years of driving it and I saw plenty of big rocks come and hit it right on, bothers me that the first rock to hit it would chip it.
You know I kind of wonder if the glass on our car is "softer" than normal or something. Mine only has 39k miles on it but you wouldn't be able to tell from the windshield
Old 10-21-12, 12:28 PM
farpetrad
Pole Position

I have 1414 miles, so yeah makes me wonder if they are using some inferior source of glass, I'm going to talk to the dealership in the morning just to see what they say.
Old 10-21-12, 05:34 PM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine has the same small chips. Quite aggravating because I too am OCD about a clean windshield!
Old 10-21-12, 10:34 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

After buying my ISF earlier this year, I got a rock chip on the freeway... a couple hours later when I got off of work, it spread into a crack across the windshield. Look on yelp for a local windshield company to see if they can take care of filling the chip for you. Shouldn't be more than $50 to get it done....

All said and done, I had to go through insurance and get a new windshield. Of course, insurance wouldn't cover OEM glass since its I think $1400 for a new lexus windshield. OEM aftermarket is surprisingly more durable... I've had some pretty big rocks hit this aftermarket OEM spec windshield and it hasn't even shown any signs of damage. Not as nice or smooth as OEM though
Old 10-22-12, 07:37 AM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Some places can drill a very tiny hole in the area of the chip that will allow them to inject the resin into the windshield. Show around and see if that is a option with this chip.
Old 10-23-12, 03:29 PM
k&b guy
Driver School Candidate

i had a guy come out to replace the windshield in one of my other cars. i asked him about replacing the weatherstripping on my 65 chevy p/u. he asked if that was the origonal windshield. i said yes. (no chips). he said "they don`t make them like that anymore". i think that answers the question!!!!!!!.
Old 10-23-12, 04:51 PM
GenuineKid
Driver

call your insurance and it should be free. They will contact safelite or whichever and get it done at $0 cost. And no your insurance premium doesn't go up.

I had a very minor rock chip on my windshield fixed through insurance for free. as long as its within its mean.

Quick Reply: Chip in my windshield