New to ISF

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-12, 03:10 AM
CCLSVTF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to ISF

Whats up,
A few days ago, I traded in my 08 BMW M3 sedan w/65k miles on it for a 2010 ISF w/16k miles on it. I loved my M3, but was not a good DD and I do a lot of driving. I'm so happy with the F. It handles, has a little luxury, and its fast.... I used the M3 forum often and had a lot of good people with a lot of good info on there. Trying to find a good forum for the F.

So I know that there are no tunes for the car. I searched and looks like people are using either the K&N CAI or the Takeda. Which one is best for HP?

Same question for exhaust...

Besides headers, anything else people are doing for HP gain? Thanks to all....
Old 10-19-12, 03:55 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Welcome!

For intakes, one of the more popular setups is the Joe Z intake pipe and the aFe or Tom's filter combo. Takeda is a popular choice if you want to have a cone filter and retain the secondary intake.

For exhausts, Joe Z, Borla, and ISS Forged DES and QES are popular options. Visit YouTube to hear the various exhaust notes to find the one that suits you.

Finally if you want to improve the performance further, Sikky and PPE make headers for the F. Apparently PPE has better craftsmanship while Sikky has a slightly better gain. Go catless for the best results!

Again welcome and enjoy!
Old 10-19-12, 06:39 AM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

^^^ He pretty much covered what you need. I/H/E is all you need for the F. Its gonna be a great DD while still good on gas. Welcome to the club.
Old 10-19-12, 09:02 AM
08F
Driver School Candidate

Welcome to the club! I looked and drove some M3s before I bought my F back in '09 probably like most people on here, but I really wasn't that impressed with it. The interiors of the BMWs just don't compare to that of any Lexus. The only benefit of the BMW in my opinion was the 6 speed manual. Also, M3s are everywhere and you hardly see another F. I like having a more exclusive car.

I tried the Takeda intake, but sold it after 2 days. The car didn't feel as strong and I missed the 2nd butterfly opening at 3600 rpm. With most of the aftermarket intakes you will lose the 2 stage. Search on here about the intakes, a guy did a lot of dynos with different intakes vs stock.

I haven't done exhaust as I don't want the car to be too loud. If you are just wanting to get all the power you can out of the F, then this is a must. There are lots of options depending upon how deep your pockets are. Check youtube, there are lots of exhaust videos on there.

Headers are next for me. Looking at the Sikky or PPE. still haven't decided though, but each will run about $1300 plus another 600-800 for install.

There are quite a few people on here that have nitrous setup so this is an option if you want to go that route.

Overall, this forum is full of knowledgeable people in all areas of the car and you have come to the right place to talk anything F.
Old 10-19-12, 09:03 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Welcome and Congrats
Old 10-19-12, 09:08 AM
boostftw
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the "F"amily

I have the Joe-Z exhaust/intake w/ sikky headers which is a perfect combo for sound and performance.
Old 10-19-12, 09:11 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by boostftw
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the "F"amily

I have the Joe-Z exhaust/intake w/ sikky headers which is a perfect combo for sound and performance.
+99 , dont forget lighter wheels and some weight reduction for daily drive also
Old 10-19-12, 09:15 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF4SALE
I tried the Takeda intake, but sold it after 2 days. I missed the 2nd butterfly opening at 3600 rpm. With most of the aftermarket intakes you will lose the 2 stage.
This is your second post telling us the the Takeda doesn't utilize the stock secondary air intake and again your wrong

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
The Takeda and the JoeZ are the only third party intakes that leave the primary & secondary air intake intact. Your post puzzles me

And Yes, I have the Takeda and wouldn't replace for love nor money

Lou
Lou
Old 10-19-12, 09:16 AM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Welcome and congrats! You found the right forum for all your ISF info.
Old 10-19-12, 09:19 AM
meangene4
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

welcome! if you dont mind, may i ask how much you bought your 2010 for?
Old 10-19-12, 10:55 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

welcome to the club and congrats!
Old 10-19-12, 11:02 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

joe z exhaust is really popular on IS-F
Old 10-19-12, 11:09 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Forget intakes! They do little do nothing on the F and will only make your wallet lighter. Exhaust, suspension and weight savings is all you need.
Old 10-19-12, 11:40 AM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caymandive
Forget intakes! They do little do nothing on the F and will only make your wallet lighter. Exhaust, suspension and weight savings is all you need.
Agreed!

Most other cars, intakes are the first mod.. cheap, gives you a little sound, and performance.. ISF you only get the first two perks.
Old 10-19-12, 11:47 AM
08F
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=lowrideraz;7551421]This is your second post telling us the the Takeda doesn't utilize the stock secondary air intake and again your wrong

I was mistaken, you are indeed correct. What you lose with that intake is the dramatic sound increase/feel when the 2nd butterfly intake opens up vs. stock. It comes down to what sound you prefer.

Quick Reply: New to ISF