IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

been searching...2012 headlights question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-12, 11:37 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts
Default been searching...2012 headlights question

ive been searching but didnt find an exact answer and sewell parts haven't gotten back to me in my email or phone calls.

ok if purchase a set of stripped is350 2012, everything such as my oem ballast, bulbs and covers will fit the stripped headlights?

how will the led strip work? any custom wiring? if so, how hard is this to make it work?

i see i have to purchase the ecu flasher relay.

also, people who have bubbling, honestly, how bad does it look in person? seems hard to notice in pics but i was wondering if its something people can live with.

thank you.

basically if i had a set of stripped is350 2012 headlights and my lights are full hid, what EXACTLY i need to fully install these with the led strips. steps would be nice as well.

thanks
Old 10-17-12, 04:04 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look in the regular IS250/350 forum they have covered the subject extensively. But in short the Sewell kit is already wired to work with your car. It is plug and play once you transfer over the bulbs/ballast. Also you will have to swap out your turn signal relay which is under the steering wheel which comes with Sewell's kit.
Old 10-17-12, 05:22 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

yeah i looked at it. so its basically the same as the isf? the thing is, i dont want to go through sewell, i found a set of is350 2012 lights so its not modified in anyway. reading more, so i have to splice the led wire into the parking lights or anything that uses the accessory setting?
Old 10-17-12, 07:45 PM
Rolando
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sewell kit everything comes wired already and you do not have to cut any wires or splice. The stripped version basically everything you said you have to transfer over. The sewell kit does bring the relay flasher, so far my lights have not bubbled.
Old 10-17-12, 10:42 PM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you buy a set that's not from Sewell no big deal they are plug and play except for the led strip ... All you gotta do is ground the ground and run the 100 percent bright to the ignition fuse under the hood on the driver side. And you are done.
Old 10-18-12, 12:03 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stasis3131
If you buy a set that's not from Sewell no big deal they are plug and play except for the led strip ... All you gotta do is ground the ground and run the 100 percent bright to the ignition fuse under the hood on the driver side. And you are done.
thank you so much. that pretty much answered all my questions. lol. but all my covers, hid bultbs and ballasts and seals fit perfect ?
Old 10-18-12, 04:11 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

You should be all right.

Do you know if your car has AFS? If you do, that would be one downside as the new headlights won't have this function and you may have a blinking AFS light on the dash even if you install everything correctly!
Old 10-18-12, 05:46 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by stasis3131
To clarify for the OP, you rewire it this way so have the LED strip on as your DRL (the halogen bulb will still be your DRL if you install it as-is. If you wire as said above, your DRL will be your normal halogen bulb + LED strip. Dealer can turn off the halogen DRL).

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
thank you so much. that pretty much answered all my questions. lol. but all my covers, hid bultbs and ballasts and seals fit perfect ?
Yeah, everything fits in/on the headlight. Youre good. Now do it!
Old 10-18-12, 07:48 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding the OPs question on bubbling. It is unnoticeable unless you are looking for it. The bubble on mine is maybe the diameter of a pencil eraser and does not protrude from the surface farther than a millimeter or two.
Old 10-18-12, 07:49 AM
kteng7
Driver

Originally Posted by Boma
You should be all right.

Do you know if your car has AFS? If you do, that would be one downside as the new headlights won't have this function and you may have a blinking AFS light on the dash even if you install everything correctly!
so there is no way to turn it off ? or at least have the AFS light stay on all the time and not blinking ?
Old 10-18-12, 08:00 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kteng7
so there is no way to turn it off ? or at least have the AFS light stay on all the time and not blinking ?
You can put black eletrical tape over the AFS bulb to conceal the light or pull the fuse. If you opt for the latter you will also lose auto-leveling. I pulled the fuse to make the light go away.
Old 10-18-12, 08:08 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

According to Joe Z, if you turn off AFS from the menu option, the light will stay on but won't blink. To completely disable the light from turning on, you may have to black it out with some black tape or manually remove the LED.
Old 10-18-12, 06:14 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

You should be all right.

yeah my vehicle does have AFS. but i dont mind losing that function as long as i can see the road of course. im thinking of just pulling the fuse out like some members do. thank you.

Originally Posted by heyarms
To clarify for the OP, you rewire it this way so have the LED strip on as your DRL (the halogen bulb will still be your DRL if you install it as-is. If you wire as said above, your DRL will be your normal halogen bulb + LED strip. Dealer can turn off the halogen DRL).

Yeah, everything fits in/on the headlight. Youre good. Now do it!
Originally Posted by greg0126
Regarding the OPs question on bubbling. It is unnoticeable unless you are looking for it. The bubble on mine is maybe the diameter of a pencil eraser and does not protrude from the surface farther than a millimeter or two.
According to Joe Z, if you turn off AFS from the menu option, the light will stay on but won't blink. To completely disable the light from turning on, you may have to black it out with some black tape or manually remove the LED.

thanks so much guys. ISF subforum very useful here. I ordered teh lights from a dealer in miami and will be here saturday.

i got to go to the dealer and pick up that relay tomorrow.
Old 10-18-12, 08:45 PM
08F
Driver School Candidate

I've thought about doing this, but just can't justify the $$$
Old 10-20-12, 11:52 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

look what showed up at the door today they are beautiful.

Quick Reply: been searching...2012 headlights question