IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lowered on Coils Now Front Rubs/Scrapes?

Old 10-05-12, 01:35 PM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowered on Coils Now Front Rubs/Scrapes?

Hey guys,

I recently lowered my ISF with BC Coilovers and at a no finger gap up front. Every time I hit a decent dip in the road I hear the front end scrape what appears to be the inner fender lining. Is there any remedy for this besides cutting the inner fender lining? Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Additionally when I reverse and my wheels are turned the passenger wheel will rub against the front fender lining duct that allows air through to cool the brakes.

Are these problems normal on a lowered ISF?
Old 10-05-12, 01:39 PM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

what wheel (offest)/tire combo are you running. I am hoping to avoid your situation because I am planning on going with 245 and 275 on oem wheels with a mild KW drop.
Old 10-05-12, 02:10 PM
Kramer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

You might have to change your damping settings on your coilovers, or your spring rates might have been too "light". Also with regards to your tires scraping in reverse, I hear that is a problem with most F's when lowered and/or different wheel/tire combos. You might just have to raise it up a lil bit
Old 10-05-12, 02:13 PM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kramer
You might have to change your damping settings on your coilovers, or your spring rates might have been too "light". Also with regards to your tires scraping in reverse, I hear that is a problem with most F's when lowered and/or different wheel/tire combos. You might just have to raise it up a lil bit
Yeah the sound of the wheel rubbing while in reverse is the worst. It almost sounds like someone is shooting at you

I really hope I dont have to raise my car since its at the perfect height IMO..I can live with a light scrape here and there but I did just turn it five clicks stiffer but I still hear a slight scrape on larger dips
Old 10-05-12, 05:25 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

You either have to go way slower, turn less sharp, and take road changes at severe angles to avoid rubbing/scraping. OR you just raise the car a bit. If you're having more than just one issue then you really do need to just raise the car. A little rubbing is ok, a scrape now and then is ok, but to have both regularly means you're too low. Or you need a different wheel setup, rolled fenders (not sure the ISF needs this) or cut lining, firmer suspension, etc..

I'm planning on going BC myself and intend to go as low as I can without any rubbing. The occasional scrapping is tolerable.
Old 10-05-12, 06:02 PM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by anxiouz
You either have to go way slower, turn less sharp, and take road changes at severe angles to avoid rubbing/scraping. OR you just raise the car a bit. If you're having more than just one issue then you really do need to just raise the car. A little rubbing is ok, a scrape now and then is ok, but to have both regularly means you're too low. Or you need a different wheel setup, rolled fenders (not sure the ISF needs this) or cut lining, firmer suspension, etc..

I'm planning on going BC myself and intend to go as low as I can without any rubbing. The occasional scrapping is tolerable.
I'm definitely now too low (IMO)..judging by the amount of threading left to adjust the coilovers I'd say I'm only about 1/3 of the way down so these coils can really slam the ISF. I'm at about a no finger gap all around and am on OEM wheels. I tried stiffening up the suspension and that helped. I may just have to go even slower through the dips in the road although I think I'm going slow already..here's a few pics showing how the car sits

Old 10-05-12, 06:11 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Thanks for the pics. Wow, that is low! I had coilovers on my last car and had to fiddle a bunch to find the sweet spot of being low yet not rubbing, and only scrapping on crazy driveways. I wasn't anywhere near as low as those pics show though. Thinking back it was probably about a finger gap to be honest. But the firmness was not adjustable so I could only adjust height.

Personally, that looks too low to me aesthetically. That's personal preference but to know the BC's can go that low is awesome. But I would absolutely expect that you may need to raise the car at least .5", maybe more.
Old 10-05-12, 06:28 PM
t4orce
Rookie

Your car is really low... but looks fantastic. I guess if stiffening it up doesn't work you might have to raise it slowly and incrementally until you hit that perfect setting.
Old 10-05-12, 06:58 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

How does it handle? I bet the oem suspension that engineers worked on probably handles better than this.
Old 10-05-12, 07:04 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Disagree. There are no positive comments to be made about the 08 ISF suspension. It works but is in no respect decent.
Old 10-05-12, 07:12 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Being that low your def gonna scrap/rub...it comes with the territory. Either raise it up now or drive slower.

Full turn on the steering wheel, is your tire touching the fender?
Old 10-05-12, 07:15 PM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

Eek..I really didn't think that was too low at all. I love the way it looks. I will take better pics of how the gap or lack thereof looks between the fender and tires.

On full turn the tires do not touch the fender but it is very very close.
Old 10-05-12, 07:17 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

I have BC coils on the way as well and will be giving it a bigger drop than what i see on these boards. nothing stupid looking but it will have basically no finger gap. I came from a 350z with fat tires to stretched tires and being low. I'll figure out a way to get rid of the noises when it comes without taking out fender liners or pulling fenders. i'll be running stock size tires btw, or fatter. no stretched tires on the ISF. this car has way too much power to be doing that.

here is my current set up on my Z. no scrapes, noises, etc at any speed, bumps or whatever, quiet as can be. there is a way, but i know most of ISF owners are not DIY'ers like other platforms.

Old 10-05-12, 08:06 PM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
I have BC coils on the way as well and will be giving it a bigger drop than what i see on these boards. nothing stupid looking but it will have basically no finger gap. I came from a 350z with fat tires to stretched tires and being low. I'll figure out a way to get rid of the noises when it comes without taking out fender liners or pulling fenders. i'll be running stock size tires btw, or fatter. no stretched tires on the ISF. this car has way too much power to be doing that.

here is my current set up on my Z. no scrapes, noises, etc at any speed, bumps or whatever, quiet as can be. there is a way, but i know most of ISF owners are not DIY'ers like other platforms.
Very nice Z! BTW if you know a way of eliminating all noise..share it with us!
Old 10-05-12, 09:03 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 666 Likes on 589 Posts

im about half a finger higher then you and i hardly rub at all, just raise your car a notch or two.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowered on Coils Now Front Rubs/Scrapes?