Hey everybody,just bought a ISF,need to understand few stuff

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-12, 11:02 AM
JonP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey everybody,just bought a ISF,need to understand few stuff

Hello all,
I just picked up an 11 ISF with 23k miles on it. I have been a BMW guy but I guess I wanted something reliable this time. So far I like the ISF but the thing that is bothering me is my ISF seem to hesitate to get to about 3000k rmp easily but once it gets there then it's really on. This happens only if I am already in motion but if I am at a stand still and want to go fast it has no problem going beyond 3 or even 4 k rpm. Sometimes I even hesitate to change lanes thinking this thing might not change gear where I get lots of power (above 3600rpm). Is this normal? And yes I already have sport button on. My wife's Pathfinder has no problem shifting gear as driver intends to, I would have thought ISF would be even more hyper? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Jon
Old 10-05-12, 11:10 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Put it in manual mode and downshift to 3rd gear. Problem solved.

Congrats on the car.
Old 10-05-12, 11:16 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

sport mode and manual=paddle shifters welcome and congrats !
Old 10-05-12, 11:25 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Welcome to the car and forum. Where in VA are you located? We're having a get-together on Saturday Oct 13th in Richmond. I'm hoping 10 IS-Fs from the state show up, and over 12 have expressed interest in coming.

To answer your question though, if I understand what you're saying, it seems that the car "lags" a bit before getting moving, and you are right... if you leave it in normal mode and auto, or sometimes even sport mode and auto, the transmission will select a gear that is higher than the one that you want for maximum acceleration until it kicks down into the lower gear. The best method to use when you want to punch it is manual mode, because then you can select the lowest gear available and have the power when you need it. Our 8-speed transmission is very good in automatic mode, but it doesn't always do things exactly as a "real" driver would do them. I probably got somewhere around 10mpg on my first tank of gas with the car having fun and trying to find out all of the best acceleration points.
Old 10-05-12, 11:31 AM
JonP
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your suggestions and welcoming me to the forum. Hope to be an active member. @ vbb I live in Falls Church area (NOVA) not sure where in VA do you live?
Old 10-05-12, 11:41 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by JonP
Thank you all for your suggestions and welcoming me to the forum. Hope to be an active member. @ vbb I live in Falls Church area (NOVA) not sure where in VA do you live?
I'm in Virginia Beach. We picked Richmond because it is central to those of us in Hampton Roads and those of you in NoVA. Unless people start bailing out, there were at least 3 others planning on coming down from the NoVA area. Even if you can't make it, nice to see another IS-F in the state.
Old 10-05-12, 11:58 AM
JonP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vbb
I'm in Virginia Beach. We picked Richmond because it is central to those of us in Hampton Roads and those of you in NoVA. Unless people start bailing out, there were at least 3 others planning on coming down from the NoVA area. Even if you can't make it, nice to see another IS-F in the state.
Yeah, I have seen only 2 other ISF around here in D.C. area. I wish I could make it but I already have prior commitment for that weekend. Have fun guys!!
Old 10-05-12, 01:10 PM
Kramer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

The tranny ECU and of course engine ECU is "learning" your driving habits, which might have been different from the previous owner. Keep doing what youre doing and that "lag" might disappear soon!!
Old 10-05-12, 01:24 PM
lexuswtf
Lexus Test Driver

do u mind me asking what u paid for ur 2011?
Old 10-05-12, 02:12 PM
meangene4
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi neighbor I'm in the Springfield area, what colors your f hope to see you around haha
Old 10-05-12, 02:48 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

when in auto you can still use the paddles to get a down shift. Similar to what others have said, it takes some time for the car to learn your driving style and adjust. Apparently there is fuse you can pull to to restart the process. You'll have to ask someone else which one as I don't know.
Old 10-05-12, 03:00 PM
RizOne
Driver School Candidate

Congrats on the ISF. I have the same question as you. It seems sluggish in any of the auto modes. Sport is a little better but not that drastic. I want to know how to get it to blip the throttle on the downshifts. I read that it does it but I have not been able see this.
Old 10-05-12, 03:20 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

In manual + sport mode... the RPM's need to be high enough for it to do it though. For instance, 6th gear at 60, flip down to 5th and you will hear it rev match, sounds ammmmmazzzing with headers

Seriously though, you guys drive in auto mode? I'm not hard on the car but I'm ALWAYS in manual mode plus sport. Its an entirely different beast.
Old 10-05-12, 05:03 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
In manual + sport mode... the RPM's need to be high enough for it to do it though. For instance, 6th gear at 60, flip down to 5th and you will hear it rev match, sounds ammmmmazzzing with headers

Seriously though, you guys drive in auto mode? I'm not hard on the car but I'm ALWAYS in manual mode plus sport. Its an entirely different beast.
I would say beast is accurate. The car is wicked quick in manual with Sport enabled.

As a point of reference, Lexus has desensitized the electronic throttle in automatic mode.
Old 10-05-12, 05:20 PM
nonford
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexuswtf
do u mind me asking what u paid for ur 2011?
Not to thread jack, but i picked mine up with ttl @51630 with 6900 on the odo.

To the OP, Welcome man! I also came from a string of BMW's, most recently a 08 M6. I havent looked back!

Quick Reply: Hey everybody,just bought a ISF,need to understand few stuff