IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Hey everybody,just bought a ISF,need to understand few stuff

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-12, 05:35 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Auto mode without being in Sport...I honestly only use that if I've had a drink with dinner and want to chill on the way home which is super rare.

But in Sport mode with the paddles...there is hesitation in 1-3rd gear for me in the low RPMS. Like below 3k rpm. I credit it to the variable valve timing but honestly don't know.

As an example, slowing down for a stoplight but then the light changes, the car may downshift on it's own to 3rd at ~2k rpm. But since the light changed I give it some gas and it absolutely "lingers" at like 2600rpm. Just for a second but it's totally noticeable. And with a cat-back you can hear it. Even pressure on gas pedal, and it goes up, up, up, stays at a point, then goes up, up, etc..

I've never had an adequate explanation but try this scenario (Sport mode w/ paddles but let the car downshift on it's own) and see if that's what you mean. It happens in 2nd gear too, but closer to 2k rpm IIRC. I've been trying to take mental notes on what exact RPM it happens in which gears. It's at partial throttle so maybe it's the throttle controller?
Old 10-05-12, 06:22 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you could always reset the ecm so it learns your driving habits faster. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2539716-post5.html
there is the link of how to do it.
Old 10-05-12, 06:26 PM
t4orce
Rookie

From a pure driver's point of view the ISF on the street can be a bit frustrating. The auto box is a smart bit of gear especially given it's 8 gears but it tries to do too many things and lacks common sense. It seems like economy is the default setting in all situations apart from Sports Manual Mode.

On the track however, everything seems to change and the engine and transmission work with you.
Old 10-05-12, 06:30 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Honestly, I can't drive my car in Auto mode. It tries so very hard to get into 8th gear IMMEDIATELY and is absolutely ridiculous for me to be in 4th gear before I'm through a stoplight intersection and still under 30 mph.
Old 10-05-12, 07:18 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our F's 416hp comes in @6600rpm, and 371tq@5200rpm. Its not gonna feel ***** to the wall until you get into the 5000rpm range
Old 10-05-12, 09:25 PM
boostftw
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats on the ride, perhaps you should try one of the accel/throttle controllers like apexi or blitz.
Old 10-06-12, 08:52 AM
scrosby
Driver

Originally Posted by vbb
Welcome to the car and forum. Where in VA are you located? We're having a get-together on Saturday Oct 13th in Richmond. I'm hoping 10 IS-Fs from the state show up, and over 12 have expressed interest in coming.

To answer your question though, if I understand what you're saying, it seems that the car "lags" a bit before getting moving, and you are right... if you leave it in normal mode and auto, or sometimes even sport mode and auto, the transmission will select a gear that is higher than the one that you want for maximum acceleration until it kicks down into the lower gear. The best method to use when you want to punch it is manual mode, because then you can select the lowest gear available and have the power when you need it. Our 8-speed transmission is very good in automatic mode, but it doesn't always do things exactly as a "real" driver would do them. I probably got somewhere around 10mpg on my first tank of gas with the car having fun and trying to find out all of the best acceleration points.
10MPG on your first tank? All my tanks are 10MPG, lol. But in all honesty, between 12-14.
Old 10-07-12, 08:51 AM
JonP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexuswtf
do u mind me asking what u paid for ur 2011?
Not at all. I paid 47000.00 for it. It was certified with 23k on the clock. Not sure if I got the good deal since I was originally only looking for M3s and knew what they were going for.
Old 10-07-12, 08:57 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

That is a pretty darn good deal in my opinion!
Old 10-07-12, 08:57 AM
JonP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by meangene4
Hi neighbor I'm in the Springfield area, what colors your f hope to see you around haha
Hey neighbor, mine is matador red. Really wanted to either white or black one but could not find one. But this color is growing on me now. Where is Springfield are you in, my brother lives right by 495 and Braddock road, I am around that area pretty often. Hope to see you around.
Old 10-07-12, 10:21 AM
meangene4
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonP
Hey neighbor, mine is matador red. Really wanted to either white or black one but could not find one. But this color is growing on me now. Where is Springfield are you in, my brother lives right by 495 and Braddock road, I am around that area pretty often. Hope to see you around.
I'm closer to Springfield mall hopefully ill run into you. I got a black one, that matador red is a underrated color
Old 10-10-12, 06:09 AM
JonP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vbb
I'm in Virginia Beach. We picked Richmond because it is central to those of us in Hampton Roads and those of you in NoVA. Unless people start bailing out, there were at least 3 others planning on coming down from the NoVA area. Even if you can't make it, nice to see another IS-F in the state.
So how did it go? Was turnout pretty good? I will definitely try to make it if there is another one in the area.
Old 10-10-12, 06:19 AM
meangene4
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jonp the meet is actually this Saturday the 13th haha
Old 10-10-12, 06:30 AM
JonP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by meangene4
Jonp the meet is actually this Saturday the 13th haha
Haha, I am loosing my mind. That's why I could not go cause my buddy is coming from London for a visit. He said he has heard of ISF but never seem one over there except for some cop cars. Apparently London police get to drive ISF
Old 10-10-12, 09:59 AM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Congrats on the F. Drive it in sport mode, you will feel the difference.

Quick Reply: Hey everybody,just bought a ISF,need to understand few stuff