IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Hey everybody,just bought a ISF,need to understand few stuff

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-12, 01:01 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

The throttle feel in the ISF is lacking for sure, probably due to emissions. Compared to BMW's, a Hyundai Genesis coupe, Mustang GT 5.0, 911 Carrera S with PDK (all auto trans,) stock vs stock, the throttle sensitivity is much better in all those cars. Sport + auto mode does not really make the throttle more sensitive in the ISF, just delays the shift points. Sport + manual is required.

Maybe the Apexi throttle sensor contraption will help in the ISF. The best auto transmission programming and throttle sensitivity I've ever driven was the 911 Carrera S with PDK. Leaving it in Auto (not touching the shifters at all) and it honestly knew instantly what gear to be in, whether driving casually or spiritedly.
Old 10-10-12, 02:38 PM
lexuswtf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apexi Smart Accel is definitely worth the $$$ ...
Old 10-10-12, 02:45 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by itsmike177
The throttle feel in the ISF is lacking for sure, probably due to emissions. Compared to BMW's, a Hyundai Genesis coupe, Mustang GT 5.0, 911 Carrera S with PDK (all auto trans,) stock vs stock, the throttle sensitivity is much better in all those cars. Sport + auto mode does not really make the throttle more sensitive in the ISF, just delays the shift points. Sport + manual is required.

Maybe the Apexi throttle sensor contraption will help in the ISF. The best auto transmission programming and throttle sensitivity I've ever driven was the 911 Carrera S with PDK. Leaving it in Auto (not touching the shifters at all) and it honestly knew instantly what gear to be in, whether driving casually or spiritedly.
I disagree with one of your statements. Sport mode does noticeably increase throttle sensitivity in auto. It also tightens steering and delays shift points as you mentioned.
Old 10-10-12, 04:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by jat0223
I disagree with one of your statements. Sport mode does noticeably increase throttle sensitivity in auto. It also tightens steering and delays shift points as you mentioned.
+1. Huge difference in throttle response in sport mode.
Old 10-11-12, 06:57 AM
JonP
Driver School Candidate

You are absolutely right, I would say it is la....cking. I have my car in shop for some brake service and they give me this loaner RX350 . I kid you not this is much more alert and knows what gear to be in right away, not saying it's more powerful(duh) but the way it chooses right gear almost makes me feel like it is. I know people probably think I am crazy but that's how it felt. I guess I will have to start driving on manual mode from now on
Old 10-11-12, 12:05 PM
JonP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexuswtf
Apexi Smart Accel is definitely worth the $$$ ...
So do you currently have it installed in your car? How much of a difference do you feel? I guess I wanted to know if it eliminates that laziness to get up to 4k rpm right away. I just want it to feel little alert or willing to play when I am ready, you know what I mean. Right now I almost feel like this car is telling me " I am not in the mood, or have a headache" lol in automatic mode that is.
Old 10-12-12, 04:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

In sport mode it feels just like the IS350.

Step on the gas like you mean it and the car responds just fine.
Old 10-12-12, 09:03 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you driven the F in manual + sport mode? I believe it is still the fastest shifting production tranny in the world. It's wicked quick, and the throttle response is perfect in that mode.
Old 10-12-12, 11:19 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Just drive it in sport mode + manual and you should have no problem with hesitation.