IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

VHT Nightshade on emblems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-12, 12:24 AM
lilcop17
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VHT Nightshade on emblems?

Im trying to find a cheap way to blacken the emblems without paying a stupid amount of money. So my question is... has anyone ever used VHT nightshade on their emblems? if so, how did they turn out?

Any suggestions how a cheap route for good work are strongly welcomed!

thanks F fam!
Old 10-04-12, 12:59 AM
erick3
Driver School Candidate

i don't own an is-f, just yet...but i can aid in this look up a product called "plasti-dip".
you'll be able to find it at any hardware store. it goes on LIKE PAINT, so don't be alarmed when you initially apply it. you want multiple coats across the emblem; you'll notice that the material will start to look a little bit graded with multiple layers. you'll eventually be able to peel it off AROUND the rear emblem when dry. Note - place newspaper around the emblem to create a square. because the emblem is actually lifted, you'll be able to peel around it. for the inside (of the circle), use a toothpick to break the plasti-dip. good luck!

for reference:
i've done this for a friend's e55 amg as well as my own g37. looks subtle and clean!
Old 10-04-12, 01:13 AM
furryjet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lilcop17
Im trying to find a cheap way to blacken the emblems without paying a stupid amount of money. So my question is... has anyone ever used VHT nightshade on their emblems? if so, how did they turn out?

Any suggestions how a cheap route for good work are strongly welcomed!

thanks F fam!
I used it on my front L, was aiming for black chrome look..it does look pretty good but doesn't hold on to the emblem too well if you just spray over the chrome. It's been almost an year and i can see tiny chips on the emblem. Your best bet is to plasti dip it or do some prepping before using VHT.
Old 10-04-12, 06:06 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

I can vouch for plastidip. I did all the emblems (except the F logo of course), headlight washer covers, and the exhaust tips and they all have a smooth matte black finish. It lasts a lot longer than regular spray paint and you can always put a little shine on it with a clear coat.
Old 10-04-12, 08:38 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on plastidip. I did front bezel surround, all emblems and exhaust tips. Looks very good.

Old 10-04-12, 09:17 AM
lilcop17
Driver

Awesome! I thought about plasti dip but i didnt know if i would like the matte finish, but from the pictures you guys showed me, i like it! How long does it hold up before looking like crap? Were approaching winter soon so hopefully it stays lol.
Old 10-04-12, 09:29 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lilcop17
Awesome! I thought about plasti dip but i didnt know if i would like the matte finish, but from the pictures you guys showed me, i like it! How long does it hold up before looking like crap? Were approaching winter soon so hopefully it stays lol.
From what I understand, it hold up well. I've only had my done for about a month or so, but I believe Boma has had his tips done for over 6 months and it's still holding up well despite the heat. The good thing about this stuff is it's so easy to redo if it starts showing signs of wear. But I think the front will take more abuse than anything else due to rock chips. The rear of the car should last much longer. And the matte finish goes very well with the foglight surrounds.
Old 10-04-12, 09:45 AM
faceman5
Driver School Candidate

plastidip does wonders. did it to my buddys isf worked great
Old 10-04-12, 10:39 AM
crazymikie
Driver

i'm a fan of plasti dip. i used it on my emblems and my rear spoiler. it looks great. most people don't even realized it's not painted.
Old 10-04-12, 11:23 AM
lilcop17
Driver

Originally Posted by crazymikie
i'm a fan of plasti dip. i used it on my emblems and my rear spoiler. it looks great. most people don't even realized it's not painted.
rear spoiler? you got pics of that? thatll look so sweet, i never thought of that lol
Old 10-04-12, 12:10 PM
Boma
Lead Lap

Yeah the plastidip coating will last you a very long time. 4 coats of this stuff will do the trick on most applications including the exhaust tips. In my experience, the exhaust tips have gone through harsh elements and long road trips and to this day they still look great over several months. I think the front "L" emblem and grille surround have taken the worse beating due to all the bugs and road debris that they've come in contact with but it's easy to redip it all.
Old 10-04-12, 12:35 PM
madastep
Pole Position

I did the dip too all the emblems and such, id agree to sticking to about 4 coats , i over coated and it looked heavy on the emblems. but that's the nice thing about the dip...... peel it off, and start again

www.dipyourcar.com prolly has all the answers you'd need, and tons of ideas, since you can black out mirrors or whatever you want honestly and just peel it off when your done
Old 10-04-12, 01:33 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

I've actually already done my front grille bezel twice. My first attempt, the texture was too rough for my liking. So a few days later, I took it off and redid it. It only took about 15 minutes to peel it off the bezel. That's how easy it is. By the way, it's about $6 a can at Lowes or Home Depot. I bought 2 cans and still have plenty left. $12 DIYer. Tough to beat. And if you're like me, you like to do stuff like this. Best thing is, if you mess up just do it over. Not the case with paint.
Old 10-04-12, 02:05 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Its amazing what a simple google search can do for you....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...e-emblems.html