Track Day at Mosport Park

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-12, 09:41 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Track Day at Mosport Park

Just sharing my experience........

I spent the day at Mosport raceway this week on the big track near Toronto Canada. Mosport (they changed the name -but everyone still calls it this) is one of the fastest tracks in North America, and has fantastic elevation changes. I'm lucky to live nearby.

It was my first time ever, so I posted up a good lap I had. I think it gives a great idea of tracking this wonderful car.

This is a very fast and dangerous track, so you can tell that I was not full out, but trying to learn the intricate entry and exit points....so no haters please. On the long straightaway I was clocking about 205km per hour. I will be faster the next time out, but was learning to trust the car and braking characteristics.

Cooling down - between laps

My buddy's G8 and the IS F

My other buddy's out of the box Scion FRS

I learned a ton of things to change for the next time out, but most important things were:
- proper dedicated tires and rims
- raise the car back up to stock height (I forgot) and started smashing my front fender liners all day
- study the track layout with a little more detail before hand
- learn to downshift and upshift better at speed

Video Here: Just one lap

Thanks for looking......can't wait for next year!

Digger08
Old 09-20-12, 10:11 PM
Blacky
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Video plus that exhaust noise and the upshifts

Didn't hear any blipping on the downs shifts though?

How did the Aussie muscle fair against the F?
Old 09-21-12, 04:56 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blacky
Nice Video plus that exhaust noise and the upshifts

Didn't hear any blipping on the downs shifts though?

How did the Aussie muscle fair against the F?
That G8 is wicked fast. Other than the Scuderia that was out there that day, it was the next fastest car.....but he is no where near close to stock anymore. He was hitting 225 km in the straight away.

Digger08
Old 09-21-12, 07:07 AM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by digger08
That G8 is wicked fast. Other than the Scuderia that was out there that day, it was the next fastest car.....but he is no where near close to stock anymore. He was hitting 225 km in the straight away.

Digger08
The thing about the back straightaway is the elevation change halfway up. Your actually hammering the gas going up a hill and you cant see whats at the top of the rise so its quite disconcerting. If you wanna hit 230-235kph you gotta be on the gas all the way from the hairpin right through.. The only car that could keep up with me was the 996 turbo and he had about 550 at the wheel so it was a fun battle.. One time I came over the rise on the back stretch and some guys mustang (i know i know) blew up and there was black smoke billowing everywhere. I hit the brakes HARD.

Digger, i bet you were nervous for the first 4-5 laps and then you feel you confidence grow a little more each lap. It was like that for me...
Old 09-21-12, 08:02 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow amazing quality and exhaust sound... looks like a video game and loads of fun
Old 09-21-12, 08:03 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fun vid@ Those gxp's are nice
Old 09-21-12, 08:11 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats on your first track experience. Just like starting anything for the first time, you'll get better over time. Be careful, it does get addicting. Below are just my experience added to yours, nothing meant to be rebuke or question your experience. Hopefully, our aggregate will help someone who is on the fence about tracking the F.

As for the following:
Tires & Rims - Sure, a lighter rim is good, but really not necessary. Sure, for the 1/4 mile, but not as important for track. BUT then for tires, absolutely good tires will make things a lot easier and more fun!

Raising the car: If your coilovers have the ability to adjust dampening like KW V3s, then it is not necessary to raise the car. It’s just something to think about down the road.

Study the track: Sure it’s always good to, but isn’t necessary. They normally call it, “Know your/the line.” If everyone follows the imaginary line (into/out of corner, straightaway, etc.) of the track then it makes it easier for everyone else to predict each other. “Knowing the line” can only be gained through driving the course, once you get a feel for your car’s responsiveness to each corner. This is the same white line, if you play Gran Turismo….lol. Typically, track events are catered to all types of experience (beginners-intermediate-advance) and each group gets about 15-20 minutes each session. It is this beginner’s group that allows you to gain experience, get to “know the line,” as they will want you to practice knowing the line as opposed to going fast. The whole idea is to keep the event fun and accident free.

Down shifting: It just depends on the track length, but it wasn’t until my 2nd time around that I really was liberal about going near redline. With that, I found myself in 3rd and 4th gear all day. At the track straightaway, I was able to get up 115mph on 4th gear before having to downshift due to the next corner. So with only having to do a single shift up or down throughout the whole track left me focus on maximizing the car’s handling and other things.

It wasn’t until the 3rd time around that I realized how dirty my brake rotors were. What I mean is that throughout ownership of my 09, I never cleaned the drilled holes on the rotors. 75% of the wholes were clogged with break dust throughout the years. My friend had brought an air compressor to blow away the notorious brake dust off our nice wheels and to also clear the drilled rotor holes for better cooling of the rotors. But in my case, my holes were so clogged with break dust that I could not clear them at the track. It wasn’t until I got home and took the rotors out to perform a thorough cleaning that I realize how much they were clogged. With each hole that I blew using the air compressor, I created such a dust storm in my 2 car garage that I had eventually had to relocate outside in the driveway for better air quality. Especially if you leave traction control on (more assisted braking), you can kill your nice caliber paint job, if the rotor gets too hot. Cleaning these holes before your track event should help to cool down your brakes.
Old 09-21-12, 08:40 AM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Wow amazing quality and exhaust sound... looks like a video game and loads of fun
Was that a GoPro you filmed with cuz it was really nice quality and sound. Most of the videos i watch the engine/exhaust sound is always muffled... Im going back in 3 weeks, watching your video is getting me siked. Any chance you wanna come... Its not free like urs though..
Old 09-21-12, 08:56 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Look like lots of fun
Old 09-21-12, 09:14 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Yes...I was a little nervous. One of my mistakes was not engaging the Sport mode -I ran without it all day!....ooops............. I could have used the improved shift point and more lively pedal.

Thanks for the advise Pete, all good points.

Staman - Yes I was sort of trying different braking points, as it varies with speeds. The IS F never let me down, or even faded - braking was solid for each 30 minute session. I had a pretty good line and was a quick learner.

The hardest corner was the 5A and 5b (Sterling Moss corner) - after a full day, I still could not get it right.

When using the GoPro, I duck taped up a remote microphone covered with extra density foam to the rear bumper, to avoid wind noise and hear the shifts, throttle and exhaust. It works well, but I had to drill a small hole into the side of the casing to fit the mic plug into the camera.

I can only imagine how your new car will be!

Appreciate all of the opinions...so far.

Digger08
Old 09-22-12, 07:59 AM
jchong
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like so much fun! I need to take my car to Mosport one day!
Old 09-22-12, 08:19 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Looks like a really great track. A nice straightaway with some pretty good curves. Glad you had a blast. The first of many times, I can already tell.
Old 09-22-12, 10:03 AM
sleepyray
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome Video!! Wish we had a track like that in my area