IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

dyno question and help???

Old 09-19-12, 08:50 AM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default dyno question and help???

anyone with knowledge on this please give me some insight

i took my car last night over to a local shop who has a dyno dynamics dyno set up (he typically dynos evos). he threw it on the dyno and ran the car it was only getting 280hp so his graph says. it was a late night run so i didnt ask for the graph because i didnt even believe it.

the graph looked like a roller coaster where it had peaked out 3 times at around 280hp then lost power and went back up and then down just like looking at a side view of a wave.... really odd

anyways whats the deal with this? I have a injen intake, rear muffler/ resonator delete so i would think id at least run stock numbers around 340hp? I know dyno dynamics are lower than dyno jets but still!?!? also he was messing with different numbers on the dyno as he had never dynoed an F before. I told him 6th gear pull that is correct right?

hes telling me the car is knocking at the top end thats why the graph looks like a wave and he thinks its because of the intake heat soaking. mind you he did all three runs back to back with no cool down in between, hood closed and one small fan blowing at my radiator. I think it might be heat soak because that injen tube was red hot to the touch once we opened my hood and felt the heat. plus the engine air filter is open to the engine bay not sealed like the stock one is.

He is telling me to put my stock intake back on and my stock rims since i was running my 3 pieces 20's and he would try again.

any thoughts??

thanks!
Old 09-19-12, 09:55 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Makes no sence. If the car runs fine on the street then go to another dyno or visit your local track for 1/4 mile runs.

~Dv8

Originally Posted by Murph145
anyone with knowledge on this please give me some insight

i took my car last night over to a local shop who has a dyno dynamics dyno set up (he typically dynos evos). he threw it on the dyno and ran the car it was only getting 280hp so his graph says. it was a late night run so i didnt ask for the graph because i didnt even believe it.

the graph looked like a roller coaster where it had peaked out 3 times at around 280hp then lost power and went back up and then down just like looking at a side view of a wave.... really odd

anyways whats the deal with this? I have a injen intake, rear muffler/ resonator delete so i would think id at least run stock numbers around 340hp? I know dyno dynamics are lower than dyno jets but still!?!? also he was messing with different numbers on the dyno as he had never dynoed an F before. I told him 6th gear pull that is correct right?

hes telling me the car is knocking at the top end thats why the graph looks like a wave and he thinks its because of the intake heat soaking. mind you he did all three runs back to back with no cool down in between, hood closed and one small fan blowing at my radiator. I think it might be heat soak because that injen tube was red hot to the touch once we opened my hood and felt the heat. plus the engine air filter is open to the engine bay not sealed like the stock one is.

He is telling me to put my stock intake back on and my stock rims since i was running my 3 pieces 20's and he would try again.

any thoughts??

thanks!
Old 09-19-12, 09:58 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm assuming you had sport mode on, VSC/TRAC off (long push) and in Manual mode in 6th gear as well?
Old 09-19-12, 10:24 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

^^^ Sport mode on does not matter. Once, I forgot to put it in sport mode and it still gave me numbers on the high side of the average.
Old 09-19-12, 10:58 AM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

I told the guy put it in 6th gear and and i took traction control off and put in sports mode.

his dyno was set only to read to 158mph but it still ran to 170 in 6th gear. the graph looked like a snake getting up to 280 then coming down then going back to 280 then coming down then one more time up to 280 then back down where it topped out.

The tech said he thought the car was knocking and cutting out due to the ECU and the intake heat soaking. I am just wondering if he should have ran with the hood up and the big fan on to help cool because when i opened the hood and felt the intake tube that thing was red hot where it would burn you. basically i had a hot air intake.

I think I am going to take it to another dyno place that is close that has a dyno jet dyno and see what there thoughts are. I know the dyno dynamics does register lower but still something just does not seem right with the end number and the graph.
Old 09-19-12, 11:04 AM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dv8tion388
Makes no sence. If the car runs fine on the street then go to another dyno or visit your local track for 1/4 mile runs.

~Dv8
car runs fine i don't notice any problems no engine lights or anything on i ran through the canyons a few weeks ago and kept up with the Porsche and the C63s i was following. I think the next closes dyno is where i am headed next.

if it is a heat soak issue then i am going to run the stock fiter box or build a custom enclosure for the injen to keep it closed off to the engine bay
Old 09-19-12, 12:05 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

If the car feels like it is running fine, then I'd say it was something wrong with the dyno or with the guy operating the dyno. You'd notice it pretty easily if your car was only putting down 280whp. Now you have to go and get another dyno just to make sure everything is okay.

For what it is worth, I've never had a car dyno'd with the hood closed. Heat soak shouldn't account for nearly 100whp loss, but it definitely can affect your readings.
Old 09-19-12, 12:06 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no way 280 is even close to correct. Something went way wrong
Old 09-19-12, 12:15 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vbb
If the car feels like it is running fine, then I'd say it was something wrong with the dyno or with the guy operating the dyno. You'd notice it pretty easily if your car was only putting down 280whp. Now you have to go and get another dyno just to make sure everything is okay.

For what it is worth, I've never had a car dyno'd with the hood closed. Heat soak shouldn't account for nearly 100whp loss, but it definitely can affect your readings.
yea i know i was wondering why he didn't open the hood and put his big fan on and why there were no cool down periods. Either way the graph was really odd looking nothing like i had seen before and the guy was saying my car was missing at the top end thats why it was reading like that and he was saying heat soak i dunno i just dont buy it for some reason. i get it i had my heavy 3 piece 20" rims on and i had a injen intake that is prone to heat soak but damn only 280 just does not sound right. Car seems to run just as fast as it always has in my opinion. I guess 2nd dyno is my next option see if it is that guys dyno or if is my car

another guy was there at the shop too that had a new CLS 63 AMG that was chipped and exhaust and other goodies and he only put down 420 at the wheels and he was thinking he should be over 500 with what he had done. im thinking the guys dyno is a lil off

Originally Posted by zapa
There is no way 280 is even close to correct. Something went way wrong
thats what I am thinking but i guess only way to prove it is get another dyno done and pay another $70 :/
Old 09-19-12, 12:22 PM
slowIST
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which shop dyno'd it? Are you from the valley? I thought I saw you a few weeks ago traveling south on woodley just passed roscoe.
Old 09-19-12, 12:39 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

yup i go down woodley everyday i work in van nuys off woodley and arminta

i went to KTM Motoring in Canoga Park. Nice guy and I went there because my friend told me to go since he got is EVO 9 done there and he does a lot of tuning on evos and has the dyno i think im guna hit up specialty Z right down the street in canoga as they have a dyno jet and see how it does then if it still has a low reading address the intake and see if that makes a difference
Old 09-19-12, 01:35 PM
slowIST
Driver

I see. You've deleted the resonator and mufflers, you still have primary and secondary cats? The injen intake should show higher numbers if dyno'd with the hood up.
Old 09-19-12, 01:42 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vbb
+1. I've never heard of dynoing a car with the hood closed except for doing intake testing to get more "real work" results. And that was just one or two guys here on this site. I always leave the hood up and have as many fans blowing as are available.

Did you get a copy of the graph you can post or take a pic of to post?

But regardless, even if the car wasn't running well, your whp number is way wrong. If the dyno is calibrated for typically running an Evo's stock 18" rims and you're on 20's, it could be reading as the dyno not moving as fast = not making as much power as you would expect. That's my best guess without seeing the graph.
Old 09-19-12, 02:01 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by slowIST
I see. You've deleted the resonator and mufflers, you still have primary and secondary cats? The injen intake should show higher numbers if dyno'd with the hood up.
yes i still have the stock headers and all the cats. all i have done is change to injen intake and do the muffler resonator delete thats why i like WTF is going on.

Originally Posted by anxiouz
+1. I've never heard of dynoing a car with the hood closed except for doing intake testing to get more "real work" results. And that was just one or two guys here on this site. I always leave the hood up and have as many fans blowing as are available.

Did you get a copy of the graph you can post or take a pic of to post?

But regardless, even if the car wasn't running well, your whp number is way wrong. If the dyno is calibrated for typically running an Evo's stock 18" rims and you're on 20's, it could be reading as the dyno not moving as fast = not making as much power as you would expect. That's my best guess without seeing the graph.
no i didnt get a copy of the graph he said he calibrated the dyno to my rims but who knows yea all the other cars there at his shop were evos on 18s and thats why im wondering because the guy with the cls amg was all like wtf happened to his car too. the graph basically looked like 280 was a resistant point where it hit that point half way through the run bounced back down to 260 then back up to 280 then down then back up before end of the run. i can see if he can email me a copy. also hood down was a surprise to me too but hes like that is real world but to me real world at 170mph more air would be coming through the engine bay that a blue fan can put out so the intake and engine bay was sucking real hot air!

i think i am going to try another place and see how they do because i am not buying this at all and the car seems to run just fine.... i dont take it up to 170 ever on the road but anywhere up to 100 mph it feels great

he said that the dyno dynamic reads like 15% less than a dyno jet but even still i found some guys online running 315hp on the dyno dynamics so at 280 mines still not right. now i wasted $70 bucks and have no answers lol
Old 09-19-12, 06:06 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Dyno at a new shop using Dino jet temp in the shop was 95 :/ ran 330hp he said his dunno is a lil lower reading Dyno jet so I'm sure I I do some real exhaust and put the lighter rims on I'd be good

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dyno question and help???