IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What Coilover Kit is the best?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-12, 04:03 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What Coilover Kit is the best?

Like the title says. Whats your opinion and why you like that coilover kit? Plus what are other must do suspension mods?

Thanks in Advance
-MjThind
Old 09-13-12, 06:25 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I personally like Tein. It's comfortable yet still retains good feedback from the road. I've had them for almost four years, and they're top notch. Off the top of my head, some others are KWV3, BC Racing, HKS Hipermax, and D2 Autosport. There's really no drawback to any, except some might be higher in price, but build quality on all of them are not bad from what I've read on the forums.

As for suspension mods, it depends on what MY year you. With the 2012, I don't think there is much to do, as the suspension from the factory is pretty solid. I know FIGS, a sponsor here on the forums, has some products for the F.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-13-12, 07:51 PM
DonTN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been argued back and forth throughout the forum.

Just do a search.

Figs is worth every penny due to their customer service and help.
Old 09-13-12, 07:53 PM
meade916
Lead Lap

lots of great brands. I love my kw v3...
Old 09-13-12, 08:25 PM
TrackLight
Driver School Candidate

As mentioned above, search around a little bit and you will find a wide range of opinions.

One big question - what are you going to do with the car? Do you want to smooth out the ride for the street? BC coilovers should do the trick, and as mentioned above, FIGS can get you set up. Track? KW's appear to be the best value for a track ready setup... from there you could go to Penske's, Toms Advox line, or Arogostas.

Disclaimer - I have ridden in a 2008 and 2011 ISF to compare suspensions (there were major changes in 2011) but I haven't picked up an IS-F (yet). So all of the opinions above are based on information gleaned from other members here and a few calls to IS-F vendors and a local tuner.
Old 09-13-12, 09:31 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree, consult Figs. Let him know what your goals are and he will steer you right.
Old 09-13-12, 11:59 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

love my kw v3 ! had them since dec.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 09-14-12, 06:09 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

did the KWs soften the ride? My 08 makes city driving horrible, although what it lacks in comfort it makes up in fun.
Old 09-14-12, 06:32 AM
DS2k
Pole Position

I have the KWs, but If I were to do it again I would get the BC racing. Half the cost for similar performance (for daily driving). I can't speak for the other brands since I never tried them.
Old 09-14-12, 12:09 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest either the KW Variant 3 Coilovers or the BC Racing kit.

Both has their own advantages and disadvantages and the price has a gap as well.

Really comes down to what you need and what you want to spend.

Shoot us a PM and we can help you pick the right kit if you'd like
Old 09-14-12, 01:58 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll would go KW V3 if you dont mind spending more. BC is also good. I got the KW from CM. Its been great. It totally changes the ride on my 08. I havent ride on the BC's yet, but for the price its a great also other than the KW. If you dont mind being made in Taiwan. You can get the best prices on the coilovers in CM. Just shoot them a PM. I receive mine the next day being in CA.
Old 09-14-12, 04:59 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Thanks for the opinions you guys!
Old 09-14-12, 10:40 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Yep it really comes down to what you want, comfort, performance, both...
MY makes a huge difference as Lexus has tweaked things plenty due to feedback. The KW v3 is a good product but I think they are far to softly sprung to be a track coilover. Great comfort for a day to day driver though.

The BC BR with the correct spring for your performance goals (tires, braking, power) will still provide comfort and performance and free you up to correct some other geometry issues are the result of lower. These issues are every bit as important as the shocks themselves.

If you just want a drop then there are spring options available as well, again depending on the year the shock valving is quite different. Shock valving is really the perception of stiff and soft. Springs just may sure that your boundary conditions are met. No bottoming in your most extreme usage but still giving plenty of dynamic range. After all what fun is it to have one setting on an adjustable suspension that works. It should offer a range depending on how you want to apply the car.

I can custom spec a spring setup for you with either KW or BC and we are getting closer with the final release spec on the Penske and Ohlins setups we have been testing for the past year +. Quality and performance go up with price, but you really need to see if it will be demanded for your preferences.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 09-25-12, 06:58 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^Figs was awesome enough to answer a ton of my questions via PM and earned my business based on customer service alone. I'm going to be going with BC.

BC may be "cheaper" but they're extremely common in the Subie/Mitsu crowd that I came from (at the same roughly $1k price point) so they must be doing something right. More than one of my Evo buddies has BC's and enjoys them. I haven't seen too many complaints or issues on either of those communities' forums which I still frequent.

And for the price compared to KW and others, BC is unbeatable IMO. Just be sure to hit shopfigs.com so that they don't have to deal with ebay fees and what-not.