IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Wheel Spaces - Did I make a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-12, 08:10 AM
wildred
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Spaces - Did I make a mistake?

I have a 2011 ISF with stock everything (rims, suspension, etc.) and just had the H&R TRAK+ 20mm (hub-centric) spacers installed in the rear. They were installed professionally at a wheel/tire shop.

But now, after seeing some of the posts here, I'm half tempted to get them taken off.

I'm not seeing any rubbing or noticing anything out of the norm.

Thoughts?
Old 09-07-12, 08:27 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

How do you drive your car? If you just cruise around town and you're willing to inspect them regularly (for your own safety), you'll probably be OK. If you do any kind of high speed driving, I would take them off for a whole bunch of reasons.
Old 09-07-12, 08:28 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on your style of driving. IMO spacers are just for looks, to make the wheels look "flush" with the rest of the car... but I can't see any performance benefits.
Old 09-07-12, 08:49 AM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had them on many of my cars in the past and had it on with my last set of wheels on my isf and never did i had a problem. Took the car at high speed and lots of cornering with my other cars with no problem. Im not speaking for all, but in my case it's not a big deal.
Old 09-07-12, 09:19 AM
wildred
Driver School Candidate

My driving habits are moderate to aggressive. I take it on the 1/8 and 1/4 mile tracks several times a year. I dont take corners at rediculous speeds, but I've been known to take the car up to 140mph

The only reason I wanted them was for the looks. The car handles just fine without them. I just didnt like how far back the rims were on the rear.

EDIT: What should I be looking for when inspecting them? Checking the lugnuts are secure?
Old 09-07-12, 09:35 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

I'm putting my 15mm H&R spacers on Tuesday. I've ran spacers before on my 335i and never had any issues. My buddy ran the H&R's on his F and still has them on his GTR with no issues. IMO, if you went with H&R, you made a wise decision as far as spacers are concerned.
Old 09-07-12, 09:43 AM
wildred
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
I'm putting my 15mm H&R spacers on Tuesday. I've ran spacers before on my 335i and never had any issues. My buddy ran the H&R's on his F and still has them on his GTR with no issues. IMO, if you went with H&R, you made a wise decision as far as spacers are concerned.
Thats some relief to hear...I went with H&R because they seemed to have good reviews, and weren't some knock off made in China brand. German engineering weighed heavily on the choice.
Old 09-07-12, 09:45 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

its just added weights...i wouldn't recommend unless u really need it tp clear your brakes or something like that...also make sure u get the good ones...
Old 09-07-12, 09:59 AM
wildred
Driver School Candidate

Yea, the weight issue was very negligible (I think like 2 pounds each). I think I got the better of the ones that are out there...judging by what is posted on some forums etc.
Old 09-07-12, 10:38 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

The thing to look for is cracking or stud damage. If either of these things happen, you want to fix it much sooner than later. There have been members with Ichiba type 2 spacers (the ones with their own studs) who have had cracking issues.

If you're just drag racing, simple inspection every 6 months or so should be fine. If you were autocrossing or running on a road course, I would recommend taking them off. They change suspension geometry in a bad way if you need to turn the car.
Old 09-07-12, 11:13 AM
wildred
Driver School Candidate

The extent of my racing is all straight line (either on a track or from stop light to stop light. Do I need to take the rim off to see the spacer, or should crawling under it be sufficient?
Old 09-07-12, 11:32 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Take the wheel off.
Old 09-07-12, 11:32 AM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt you will ever have any issues. H&R makes good spacers, just check everything every once in a while.
Old 09-07-12, 12:05 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Are you running extended studs, or do these come with studs fixed on the spacer itself? I know many people who run spacers without issues, but I personally wouldn't do it... 20mm is a lot and you're really messing with the geometry and balance of the suspension. Don't mean to scare you though.
Old 09-07-12, 02:52 PM
amx
Driver School Candidate

I drove with H&R 25mm spacers on my Supra for many many years, drag racing, street racing and made donuts, tested top speed and other strange things, never had any problems or suggestions in damage to the spacers, wearing out three sets of tires every summer, and the roads here in Norway is not the best in the world so you could say that these spacers were tested with all possible stresses.

But have no experience with other brands spacers.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spaces - Did I make a mistake?