HKS SSM Exhaust / Sikky Header Buildup - Dyno Plan

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-12, 02:10 PM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HKS SSM Exhaust / Sikky Header Buildup - Dyno Plan

UPDATE 5-1-13

So 6 months later and the HKS / Header buildup is complete... The details changed a bit from the original plan so I started a new thread. It's now PPE Headers / Custom Mid-pipe and HKS SSM exhaust. See the new thread for details and results:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-progress.html

--
Todd

UPDATE 9-18-12:

Well guys - looks as though I made some empty promises. The shop I was working with was not able to come through on their commitments. I ordered the "in stock" HKS Exhaust 2 weeks ago and was finally told today that it wasn't available. Due to this and several other reasons, I have cancelled my order and build plan with this facility and will be starting from scratch. If anyone has any suggestions for a reputable shop, preferably with ISF experience, between Charlotte and Atlanta let me know. Still eager to get this completed. I may change the order around and install the headers first. I will start a new thread when the time comes.

Original Post

CL Members,

I picked up my 'new to me' F about 3 weeks back. Since then I have spent hours and hours on this forum edumacating myself on the performance upgrade options available. I just want to say thanks to all the great posts from all the great folks out there that have helped shorten my learning curve.

My wife, on the other hand, is not very happy with 'investments' I am making over the next few weeks but no worries, I blamed you guys for that. Thanks for bailing me out.

With that said I want to try to give some facts and data back to the group. Over the next few weeks I will be doing a complete exhaust upgrade with dyno runs along the way. There are some great exhaust systems out there - Joe Z PTS and ISS Forged DES were at the top of the list for me. (I really admire Joe Z's presence and the knowledge he gives to the forum!) I also considered several custom designs.

Ultimately I decided to go with HKS Super Sound Master. I can't tell you how many times I've watched this freaking video!
Evidently, I just ordered the last HKS System available in stock in the US today so I'm pretty stoked. Special thanks to N54MPower for his information in this thread a few years back on the HKS system. I'm installing the complete system - rear section and midpipe.

As for headers, I personally don't think you can go wrong with either PPE or Sikky. They both seem to make great products with similar performance gains. I have been in contact with both companies and they were both very responsive to my questions and seem to provide fantastic customer service. In the end I am going with Sikky because the installer is a dealer and can give me a better price on an installed package. He has a relationship with the guys at Sikky also so they can work through any technical issues efficiently (hopefully).

It's important to me to have a good solid plan along the way so I can report back with the most accurate facts and data possible. Please review the dyno plan and let me know if I should make any changes or additions.

The work will be performed at a local shop in Spartanburg, SC (Heads Up Motorsports). Although they have years of luxury sport experience, this will be the first F for them. They are excited also.

Here's the plan:

- All dyno runs will be performed on their Dynojet 224xLC

Step 1: 3 baseline pulls with current stock setup (corrected for conditions). Capture video / audio for comparisons

Step 2: Install HKS exhaust system. Get photos of install noting any 'problem' areas or fitment issues.

Step 3: Drive for 10 - 15 miles and cool down. I know it takes longer for the ECU to learn, but I will cover that later.

Step 4: 3 more dyno pulls to see the immediate gains. Get some video / audio from same reference point and device as before.

Step 5: Drive for 1500 miles or so (grinning from the new exhaust music). This will take a few weeks. I'm also not sure how long it will take for the headers to come in. Should have a quote today.

Step 6: 3 more dyno pulls to see exhaust gains after ECU adjusts. Hopefully the weather will not play a big factor here. All runs will be corrected using the same techniques for relative comparisons.

Step 7: Install Sikky Headers. I'll get a few pics but this is already well documented.

Step 8: May or may not do immediate dyno pulls here? The install is a full day so depends on time.

Step 9: Put another 1500 miles or so on the car. Hopefully the grin turns into a goofy smile that makes people wonder what the hell I'm smoking...

Step 10: 3 more pulls to see the final before and after comparisons. Get audio / video from same reference and device as before.

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to get some input from the experts in advance.

-------------------
Todd
'08 SGM

Last edited by Meanstreak; 05-01-13 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Update 5-1-13
Old 09-05-12, 02:17 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

Can't wait to see and hear the results! Congrats on the purchase too!!!
Old 09-05-12, 02:20 PM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Thanks, iH8! I think I'm more excited about the sound than anything at this point.
Old 09-05-12, 02:23 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Congrats on the "investment." Looking forward to reading up on your results. Enjoy your F!
Old 09-05-12, 02:24 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HKS and Sikky...nice build. Can't wait for results either!
Old 09-05-12, 02:31 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Congrats on the F and good start on the mods
Old 09-05-12, 02:32 PM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

bnizzle87 - this 'investment' is sure to make me happier than anything else i've done in the past 10 years...
Old 09-05-12, 02:37 PM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does this exhaust still cost almost $3,000?? Would love to add it onto my F but wouldnt be able to dish that kinda dough
Old 09-05-12, 02:45 PM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by daniel3ooo
does this exhaust still cost almost $3,000?? Would love to add it onto my F but wouldnt be able to dish that kinda dough
Evidently, HKS has made some changes or the warehouse is just trying to move it. I got the complete kit w/ installation for $2600. Still very pricey but enough discount to make me pull the trigger.
Old 09-05-12, 03:16 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

cant wait to hear it.. I was going to buy the hks exhaust too but for the price you only get sound, its pretty heavy and doesn't have that great gains. But the sound will probably make up for it.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 09-05-12, 03:31 PM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by joshhleee
cant wait to hear it.. I was going to buy the hks exhaust too but for the price you only get sound, its pretty heavy and doesn't have that great gains. But the sound will probably make up for it.
Yeah - the gains N54MPower posted were not very impressive and I could definitely do a lot better in the bang for buck category but I had to go with my gut on this one. Will be interesting to see how it sounds with headers too. I can't find any audio with this combination.

As for weight, it is supposed to be 8lbs lighter than stock. I'll see if I can capture that also.
Old 09-05-12, 04:05 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Good stuff. Thanks for the willingness to document the gains for this community...hopefully everything turns out exactly the way you want/envision it.
Old 09-05-12, 04:40 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

That car is now own by new owner g35cali , local here , u can also ask him about that exhaust he might part out
Old 09-05-12, 04:45 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Gymkata
Good stuff. Thanks for the willingness to document the gains for this community...hopefully everything turns out exactly the way you want/envision it.
Agreed.

And to the point about HKS gains vs. others, honestly, unless you're going to be racing your car, it really doesn't make much of a difference if one exhaust has a 5-10whp gain over another. That's probably not a difference you are going to feel 99% of the time, if at all. It really is more about the sound, because that's something you're going to love (or hate) every single time you jump into your car. I'd definitely pick the exhaust that I think sounds the best over the one that gives me the most power. It seems like that's what you're doing too.
Old 09-05-12, 06:01 PM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blitz_714
That car is now own by new owner g35cali , local here , u can also ask him about that exhaust he might part out
My exhaust is already on the way but if he wants to part out I know there is some other interest on here just from comments I've read. Maybe he can provide his opinions in this thread also. I'll send a PM.

Quick Reply: HKS SSM Exhaust / Sikky Header Buildup - Dyno Plan