IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lowered on Swift springs and new grill and lights!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-12, 08:35 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So now that we all know that a 2008-2011 ISF dropped on Swifts looks and rides awesome, who wants my brand new Swift springs??? LOL.
Old 09-12-12, 08:44 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be curious to see if any other 2012 guys had trouble with ANY brand of springs not fitting. Have you searched any 2012's that have lowered there car on springs. It just seems odd. That being said, it seems the Swifts are the best quality springs to put on our cars (I'm not being biased, but got that from all the reviews). I wouldn't think you'd have an issue selling them in the classified and you might even check to see if you can return them since they were never installed. Might start a thread about 2012's and springs to see what's happening out there.
Old 09-12-12, 08:50 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ I believe I was the guinea pig. I've searched and haven't found any dropped 2012 ISF. When taking the suspension apart at the dealer I could see the whole thing being different than in previous years, the tech guys at JM Lexus told me that it was the first 2012 ISF that they'd do a suspension work. We headed to the parts department and confirmed that part numbers are different between 2012 and previous years, we checked springs and struts. At this point I realized that I was out of luck, now I'm not even sure if I can use any of the coilovers available on the market.
Old 09-12-12, 09:01 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Juanca
^^^ I believe I was the guinea pig. I've searched and haven't found any dropped 2012 ISF. When taking the suspension apart at the dealer I could see the whole thing being different than in previous years, the tech guys at JM Lexus told me that it was the first 2012 ISF that they'd do a suspension work. We headed to the parts department and confirmed that part numbers are different between 2012 and previous years, we checked springs and struts. At this point I realized that I was out of luck, now I'm not even sure if I can use any of the coilovers available on the market.
Sounds like the vendors/manufacturers have some work to do. That sucks! I'm glad I ended up with a 2011, but feel bad for you.
Old 09-12-12, 09:34 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanca
So now that we all know that a 2008-2011 ISF dropped on Swifts looks and rides awesome, who wants my brand new Swift springs??? LOL.
Maybe me, which is why I am asking. PM me a price?
Old 09-12-12, 09:46 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

I started a new thread on the issue, so hopefully we can get some incite.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...out-there.html
Old 09-12-12, 12:36 PM
vbb

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
Yeah, it was Juanca's car being a 2012. Mine's a 2011. To answer your question as to why I went ahead and put on the rears, it was a bit of peer pressure and a bit of peace of mind having the same springs on front and back, plus red is prettier! Lol! I still thing everyone could just do the front and be happy as the difference is very minute between stock springs and Swift. Overall, I'm very pleased with the outcome and it still looks like I can run 275's in the rear without issues....and that is with the 15 mm spacers on.
Haha, man, how did I miss that! Well thanks. Honestly, I can't see the difference between the pic before the rears were installed and after. Both look good to me! Could you tell any difference on the feel or ride quality when you just had the fronts installed? I'm inclined to just do the fronts if I do any lowering at all, but I'm also concerned that I'll throw the suspension geometry all out of whack if I only do the front half. Maybe I'm overthinking it. It is just a cosmetic thing for me... I think the rear sits perfect as it is, especially with my wheels, and the front could use a little help. I know I'm thiiiiiiiiiiis close to rubbing in the rear, and am afraid that with even an extra .5" drop, I'll have rubbing. I'll leave everything stock before I throw off my suspension or start rubbing or something.
Old 09-12-12, 12:56 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

I can't tell any difference at all, that being said, I don't track the car or anything, but I'm not afraid to take a corner and drive the car the way it was intended to be. I too was doing all this mainly for looks. Again, I think everyone would be fine doing fronts only unless someone knows something I don't. Feels great to me!
Old 09-12-12, 01:17 PM
vbb

I can't tell any difference at all, that being said, I don't track the car or anything, but I'm not afraid to take a corner and drive the car the way it was intended to be. I too was doing all this mainly for looks. Again, I think everyone would be fine doing fronts only unless someone knows something I don't. Feels great to me!
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. This is my daily, so I'm not comfortable with tracking it. Yes, I know several people here track and daily their IS-Fs, but it just isn't something I'm going to do (in fact, I'm looking at picking up another S2000 again for track duties, but I digress). So, if at the limits having just the front springs on will make a small difference, I'm not worried about that. But if it makes no noticeable difference in street driving, I'll make the change for the cosmetic purposes.

The only car I've had that I didn't lower because of excessive wheel-gap was a BMW 335i. The gap up front was tolerable, even on the stock suspension.
Old 09-12-12, 01:24 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

I even dropped my 335i on Eibachs, though I agree with you that they are pretty low from the factory. I never touched my GT-R. I was too scared to mess with anything. Oh wait, I tuned the hell out of it. Lol! Here's my 335i:

Old 09-12-12, 01:33 PM
vbb

You sir have great taste (I also had an Alpine White E90, but with the turbotuner rather than the JB3. Fun car). I agree, it does look better with a little bit of drop, but I dealt with it for the 2.5years I had mine because it didn't look all that bad in the stock form. The IS-F doesn't look awful with the stock ride height either... but because I have some aftermarket Volks on mine, the gap is more noticeable to me.

The modding bug is bad. I swore I wasn't going to touch the suspension on the F... and here I am making plans to do exactly that.

My 335i
Old 09-12-12, 01:41 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

As i always say to my friend, "We just can't leave stuff alone!" It's all part of the fun of being a car guy. I always tell my wife that I won't mess with anything when I buy the car. I had the IS-F for 2 weeks before I had it completely torn apart and redid the stereo. It just goes downhill from there. Your BMW looked great. Should have put on the black kidney grilles.

I'm partial to white cars! If you saw in my garage, our Escalade is white as well. My BMW 535i was also Alpine White. I almost bought a white GT-R. Had a white RX 330 and a white IS 250. I promise I'm not racist!
Old 09-12-12, 01:52 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Phi,

The car looks great, man. Nice work.
Old 09-12-12, 02:14 PM
vbb

As i always say to my friend, "We just can't leave stuff alone!" It's all part of the fun of being a car guy. I always tell my wife that I won't mess with anything when I buy the car. I had the IS-F for 2 weeks before I had it completely torn apart and redid the stereo. It just goes downhill from there. Your BMW looked great. Should have put on the black kidney grilles.

I'm partial to white cars! If you saw in my garage, our Escalade is white as well. My BMW 535i was also Alpine White. I almost bought a white GT-R. Had a white RX 330 and a white IS 250. I promise I'm not racist!
Haha... I tend to alternate between black and white cars because I'm equal opportunity. I even threw in one gray car to be multicultural. Of my last 6 cars, 3 have been black, 2 white, and one gray. The gray car was a breeze to keep looking clean, the white cars not so bad, and the black cars can be impossible at times. But I when I was looking for my IS-F, I was looking for a black car, then white, then dark gray in that order. I found exactly what I was looking for.

My wife knows me so well that when I told her I wasn't going to change the wheels on my IS-F, she actually encouraged me to just go ahead and do it b/c I wasn't going to be happy otherwise. I didn't have the car a month before it had new wheels.
Old 09-12-12, 02:27 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vbb
Haha... I tend to alternate between black and white cars because I'm equal opportunity. I even threw in one gray car to be multicultural. Of my last 6 cars, 3 have been black, 2 white, and one gray. The gray car was a breeze to keep looking clean, the white cars not so bad, and the black cars can be impossible at times. But I when I was looking for my IS-F, I was looking for a black car, then white, then dark gray in that order. I found exactly what I was looking for.

My wife knows me so well that when I told her I wasn't going to change the wheels on my IS-F, she actually encouraged me to just go ahead and do it b/c I wasn't going to be happy otherwise. I didn't have the car a month before it had new wheels.

Funny, mine go like this:

Black:
Nissan 350Z
Cadillac Escalade

Silver:
Jeep SRT8
Lexus GX470

Titanium:
Nissan GT-R (low production color 2009 only)

Dark Brown:
BMW 328is

White:
Lexus IS-F
BMW 335i
BMW 535i
Lexus IS250
Lexus RX330
Cadillac Escalade

The only car I ever changed the wheels on was the BMW 335i because my wife and I both thought the stock sport package wheels were hideous. I also had Lexus put stock chrome wheels on my IS250 when I bought it, but that was back in 2007, when chrome was still cool.

Anyway, we're getting off topic a bit as this has mainly turned into a Swift spring thread among the other mods I did to the car. I really enjoyed doing the plasti-dip and think everything turned out really well with the white car. I also put the same bulbs in for my for that I used for my high beams.

Quick Reply: Lowered on Swift springs and new grill and lights!