Suggestions on track prep?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-12, 02:36 PM
TrackLight
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suggestions on track prep?

Hi everyone,

First, a quick thank you to everyone on here - you have posted up a lot of great info and stories that have me looking at an IS-F. I have pm'd a few people with questions and received great responses. So, on to my question. For those of you who track (Autocross, high-performance track days, or... any open road racers) can you share a few suggestions on how to prep the IS-F for a day at the track? For an initial foray I was thinking about the following: upgraded pads (very open to suggestions), brake fluid flush and fill with Motul, a little Redline Water Wetter, and a good set of tires. If all goes well, I might look at a few other goodies.

As a thank you, I'll post a summary of some weight reduction resources I compiled while mapping out a build.

Stock suspension and coilovers
Stock struts and springs = 60 lbs (contribution from Joe Z I think)
D2 coilovers = 38 lbs (22 lbs lighter, again from Joe Z)
Other coilovers
Ohlins
KW V3's
HKS Hypermax
BC

Brakes (great info info from FIGS)
Stock front rotors = 27.5 lbs each,
Rear rotors are = 22 lbs each

Current Options
FIGS/RB Front rotors = 20.5 (7 lbs less per rotor)
FIGS/RB Rear Rotors = 17.5 (4.5 lb less per rear rotor)
FIGS alt all four corners = 23 lbs of unsprung, rotating weight saved!
Stoptech (I need to dig out an old email from Stoptech on weights for their systems and rotors)
ST60 Trophy Fronts
ST60 Front
ST40 Rear
Aftermarket Brembos (no info as I hadn't looked but I am happy to add info if others have it)
Novel - a friend in Japan said Novel had a ceramic rotor/aluminum hat combination (sorry, no additional info beyond what is on the Novel website and I can't read any Kanji). FYI, a set of four rotors would be $4500 at the current exchange rate.

Exhaust
Stock exhaust, headers back = 70/71 lbs (Thanks to Joe Z and ISS)
Joe Z - Full system = 65 lbs (save 6 lbs based on Joe's stock exhaust at 71 lbs)
ISS Forged QES Race = 61 lbs (save 9 lbs based on ISS weighing a stock system @70)
Greddy Titanium = 35 lbs (save 36 lbs)
Borla (header/cat-back) = 54 lbs (save 16/17 lbs - info from Caymandive)
HKS ?
Icode ?
Toms ?
Novel ?

Headers - I didn't list weights for Sikky, PPE or Novel because I haven't seen (or was too tired to catch) weight comparisons on the different header options

Wheels and tires
Stock (2008, 2009) = 206 lbs (apologies as I saved the wrong link to reference this)
If you have a combination that you would like me to list here, post it down below and I'll update.

Battery
Stock battery = 42.5 lbs (Thanks to Caymandive)
Odyssey PC680T = 16 lbs + hardware (26.5 lbs saved)
Voltfreaks VHP900 = 7 lbs (36 lbs saved based on mishkinM5's stocker at 43 lbs)
Braile I know they have sub 10 lb setups

Body
Sunroof and ancillaries = 55 lbs (apologies, I forgot who posted this)
Front seats ~ No idea - anyone?
Rear seat ~ 50 lbs (estimate from a Lexus technician)
Trunk ?
Hood ?
Spare and tools ~ 37 lbs (spares and tools or just the spare?)

Aftermarket trunk options
Ventross
Seibon

Aftermarket hoods
iCode
Seibon

Finally, here is the last big weight reduction thread I found.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...reduction.html

If you have something you want me to add, let me know. If you shared something that I missed or didn't give you props for, give me a shout.

Last edited by TrackLight; 08-26-12 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-25-12, 09:21 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

Our big problem has been cooling and I am trying to figure it out. It only takes 3 laps on our longer road course to get the engine temps to 240. Meant to try the amsoil version of water wetter last time but the car was too hot and the timeframe was too short to complete the test.

We have been very happy with carbotech pads. Last track day we tried the XP8 compound as a R/T offering potential and besides low speed stopping noise they seemed to hold up to a lot of abuse. We have the XP20FR and XP10 RR for our more full on track braking setup.

Besides that a good shock setup with a high enough spring rate to handle rubber improvements and the weight of the car. We can help you there, at least finally getting things to a production spec. The braking system only specs DOT3 and I have not looked into the reasons behind that. We had a pretty good boilover the last round and its a little scary to get a pedal to the floor.

I would not worry about prep too much on the car but certainly prep your head. Make sure you can listen to what the car is telling you well enough before you put it through some serious paces.

I think in most cases the aftermarket carbon parts are heavier than the aluminum counterparts, at least on the hood. Some light 18's seem to work plenty good.

Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 08-25-12, 09:44 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Stock brake pads are more than adequate for track use. IS-F is track ready, so not much to prep from normal day to day checks and maintenance. Tires - tires, make sure you have an in-good condition set. Get yourself a track timer to keep tabs on your progress.

Are you looking for an F or do you have an F already?
Old 08-26-12, 06:49 AM
TrackLight
Driver School Candidate

Fig - thank you for the response and advice - I will be in touch! On the cooling front - I haven't taken a long look at the front end - is there room to make ducting that channels more air over the radiator?, Has anyone thrown a larger (Koyo, Mishimoto, or other unit) in? As far as carbon, from the little time I spent in the Evo world, the weight reduction (or addition in some cases) seems to vary as much as the overall quality.

Pete - I had a deal lined up but I have had a few days of radio silence so I am looking again.

Thank you again gentlemen.

Last edited by TrackLight; 08-26-12 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-26-12, 06:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,854 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by PurduePete
Stock brake pads are more than adequate for track use. IS-F is track ready, so not much to prep from normal day to day checks and maintenance. Tires - tires, make sure you have an in-good condition set. Get yourself a track timer to keep tabs on your progress.

Are you looking for an F or do you have an F already?
I disagree with the OEM pads being track worthy. It depends entirely on the track. You would literally melt the OEM pads at Carolina Motorsports Park in a 20 minute session.

I have not had cooling issues with my car at the track, but the oil temp does go high on hot days - on cold days I've not had any issue with temps.

I run Brembo LCF brake fluid and have had zero issues with it boiling even under severe use (Carbotech XP-12s in front, XP-10s in the rear) with four major braking zones from triple digit speeds every lap. The most important thing to do is shut off the VSC. If you leave it on, it will cook the front brakes no matter what pads you run.

You might want to check out this thread too.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-26-12 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-26-12, 08:05 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I disagree with the OEM pads being track worthy. It depends entirely on the track. You would literally melt the OEM pads at Carolina Motorsports Park in a 20 minute session.................

most important thing to do is shut off the VSC. If you leave it on, it will cook the front brakes no matter what pads you run.
You might want to check out this thread too.
Lance, I experienced that at the last track event... My fronts were so hot, my silver painted calipers now have a goldish tint to them. But my stock brake pads still look fine.

But I think my statement to keep the stock pads as is for beginners can still work. Just give your F a longer in-between cooling period before your next session and minimize leaving VSC on. Who says you have to be on the track for the whole 20 minutes each session? Typically there are 6-8 session per track event, skip a few to let your F cool down even more. There should be no major prep(s) needed for your 1st or 2nd track events if you manage your cool down periods.

Your 1st track event is to feel the track, learn the rules, learn the lines, and on top of that, you will have the "I got to go easy on my baby mentality" therefor you will not be agressive on the track due to just inexperience. Depending how fast you pick things up your 1st track event, your 2nd or 3rd track event might be a good time to look into taking more agressive track preps, b/c with experience, you will push your F harder. On my 3rd track event (previous), A friend brought an air compressor to spray off the huge amount of brake dust collected on my HREs. It was also good to keep the rotor holes clear and free for optimal air flow. My biggest lesson so far is in managing my cooling period. Like I said, you don't have to go do every session for the day. The cool down period is also a great time to spectage and go check all the exotics that make it to these types of events.

Intimidation due to preps, should not be anyone's excuse not to track their car for the 1st time.
Old 08-27-12, 04:32 PM
TrackLight
Driver School Candidate

Lance - thank you! While I amassed a good bit of information from the forums, I missed your earlier thread. That is a fantastic collection of info and advice!

Pete, thank you for the advice as well. I don't want an excuse to stay off the track, but I would like to be ready to enjoy it when I get there.