IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New ISF, GT-R Out

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-12, 10:51 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New ISF, GT-R Out

Well, went to Lexus to pick up my ISF ("hybrid strut/shock" ZF Sachs replacement), and almost hopped into the wrong car.

I noticed that car had a white stick tacked to the rear windshield. Someone had order a 2012 Obsidian F--dead ringer for mine.

When I inquired who, I was told the buyer bought a 2012 GT-R and traded it for the IS-F. I don't know if it was an engine, transmission, or whatever issue, but it was interested to see another driver decided to move over from Nissan.

My thoughts are that it might be the overall driving experience. I found this to be interesting.

"But from the time I first sat in the heavily bolstered Recaros and pushed the console ignition start button, a realization slowly crept in: this isn’t the car I was eagerly awaiting.

Granted, the GT-R completely lives up to its exotic-sports-car-vanquishing fame—so if speed’s what you’re after, disregard the rest of this article, because the GT-R puts to shame cars two or three times its price, and in a more daily-driveable package.

But a sports car’s appeal isn’t just about how many German and Italian supercars it can pass on the Nürburgring Nordschleife. While Nissan has improved the GT-R for 2012 with a 45-horsepower bump (to 530 hp), a retuned suspension, structural bracing changes, interior improvements and subtle aerodynamic tweaks, none of those changes address the issue that’s at the heart of the car — that the new, game-changing and supremely engineered GT-R lacks an enthusiast spirit.

The problems aren’t what you’d suspect. Detractors of the GT-R tend to view its technological wizardry—like the ATTESA-ETS AWD (Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All-Terrain)—as a negative, something that isolates the driver from the road by doing all the heavy lifting. And while the technology is a significant factor in its performance capability, it doesn’t detract from the driving. The nicely weighted steering, for example, precisely and faithfully transmits what’s going on with the tires. In corners, the electronically controlled Bilstein dampers grip the road with a feedback that feels direct, even analog; the GT-R stays neutral throughout turns with astonishing grip, seemingly defying the laws of physics. You can punch the throttle out of an apex secure in the knowledge that it will neither plow its nose nor slide its tail. And even when the vehicle dynamics control (VDC) kicks in R mode, it’s more to aid and enhance your driving rather than to take away.

The acceleration on the GT-R is sublime, too. For 2012, Nissan revised the launch control functionality, and all those millisecond computations equate to blistering acceleration. The ease of execution and neck-snapping grip off the line is otherworldly. When you can get to 60 mph in less than 3 seconds, the last thing you complain about is how computers are ingeniously maximizing your traction.

But performance doesn’t necessarily define the soul of a sports car. And that brings up the question: what is the soul of a GT-R— and what makes it a GT-R? For answers, we look to the mastermind behind the GT-R, Nissan’s chief vehicle engineer Mizuno Kazutoshi.

“In a single phrase: anyone, anywhere, anytime,” said Mizuno. “That the car would make an exceptional impression to anyone, anywhere, anytime. We call it the multi-performance supercar.”

But that’s the problem: whereas past iterations of the GT-R stayed true to Mizuno’s vision, this super-sized, high-tech rendition has strayed. Take the GT-R that catapulted the badge to global notoriety, the 1989 Skyline R32 GT-R—it was dominant in races to the point of being banned, and earned the now well-known “Godzilla” moniker. But compare that to the current GT-R (chassis code R35) and you can see that the new GT-R is an altogether different — and less inspiring — beast."

I believe some of you took the path away from an F and bought a 2012 GT-R. What are your thoughts about this review--your impressions?
Old 08-24-12, 11:28 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lolz!
I have both, an they both have their own distinct soul.

~Dv8
Old 08-24-12, 11:38 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I have not made the switch, so this isn't really a question aimed at me, but I've often found it interesting that there are several IS-F to GT-R jumps. The only thing these two cars seem to do the same is go fast... with the GT-R going much faster of course. But in my mind, one is a luxury sport sedan, the other is a street legal race car. I would guess that those who do make the jump are looking for something other than a sport sedan. The Audi RS4, MB C63 AMG, Cadillac CTS-V, and even the M3 are all cars that can be tracked, perhaps should be tracked, but really are designed to get from point a to point b in comfort and luxury... just fast as *****. The GT-R offers less compromises. Would I like to have one? Sure... but I'd have something else as my daily driver. I couldn't see myself hopping into one in my suit with my briefcase and taking a client around or pulling up to a meeting. I wouldn't try to shoehorn two car seats into the the rear and use it to take my kids around, and although it'd be a fun trip for milk, I wouldn't see myself running mundane errands it it either. I do all of the above in my IS-F, all while knowing that I could lay the smack down on 95% of the other cars on the road if the mood hit me.

But I think that the "soulless" criticism is a bit overblown. If you aren't impressed by a car that can handle AND run a sub 3 second 0-60, then maybe you're the one whose temperature needs to be checked.
Old 08-24-12, 12:18 PM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"if it's speed your after, then disregard the rest of this article"--exactly what i did...
Old 08-24-12, 12:58 PM
Boma
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The R35 is in a class of its own. That's not to say the F is more or less of a car than the R35, it is simply a fact that these cars are built with different lifestyles in mind. Looking for a practical, luxurious ride with a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde personality? The F fills this role nicely. Looking for the ultimate more-bang-for-your-buck ride with a prestigous racing heritage to back it up? The GT-R answers this call.

Every car has its pros and cons. It all boils down to which one best matches your own personal taste!
Old 08-24-12, 01:01 PM
NoLFA4U
Driver

Apples and oranges IMO.
Old 08-24-12, 01:07 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Forgot to put in "This is not a comparison thread".....lol. Cracks me up seeing "passionate replies from the heart about why you can't compare the two". Yes, we all know....
Old 08-24-12, 01:13 PM
CK9887
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

I have also considered a GT-R as my next car once I sell the IS-F but the maintenance routine and cost has me second guessing. The problem is, after having an IS-F, you almost have to jump to a supercar or exotic to be making an upgrade.
Old 08-24-12, 03:31 PM
dLad
Driver

Originally Posted by ISF001

But a sports car’s appeal isn’t just about how many German and Italian supercars it can pass on the Nürburgring Nordschleife. While Nissan has improved the GT-R for 2012 with a 45-horsepower bump (to 530 hp), a retuned suspension, structural bracing changes, interior improvements and subtle aerodynamic tweaks, none of those changes address the issue that’s at the heart of the car — that the new, game-changing and supremely engineered GT-R lacks an enthusiast spirit.

the new GT-R is an altogether different — and less inspiring — beast."[/I]

I believe some of you took the path away from an F and bought a 2012 GT-R. What are your thoughts about this review--your impressions?
for the most part it seems to be accurate in description....but in the first paragraph i quoted, saying there's an issue at the heart of the gtr, and it lacks an enthusiast spirit...i just don't agree.....unless the comment is in reference to the fact it's not a raw six speed (take the traction off) type of race/street car. like a z06 or 911 gt2 or 911 turbo.....i can understand how a true car performance enthusiast would rather 'really drive the car'...if u know what i mean....like, i've ran into guys who love stick shift and would never have it any other way, despite not getting into gear as fast.

second quote....i know the original skyline was a monster of it's time, and i kind of know what the quote means when it's said the gtr is different and less inspiring beast. However, I just don't think the current gtr should ever have a tag put on it as less inspiring. It is an extraordinary accomplishment, and I personally don't believe it's less inspiring. It's the definition of inspiring......the car is like 2nd or third best ever tested in handling in the figure 8....i can only remember the porsche gt3 rs testing better, combine that with the speed and acceleration from a standstill and it's one of the most unheard of cars in the history of cars. not to mention it is over 3800 lbs.
Old 08-24-12, 04:59 PM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Article is bs imho. i am wondering what was his expectations from the "console ignition start button"?

Last edited by Rider; 08-24-12 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-24-12, 07:19 PM
mishkinm5
Driver School Candidate

I actually owned an 08 isf, went to 09 gtr. Moded it to a complete AMS Alpha 9 package and then traded back down to 2011 isf. Dont regret any of it. GTR feels cheap inside but i definetely miss the the power.

Mike
Old 08-25-12, 04:14 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by mishkinm5
I Moded it to a complete AMS Alpha 9 package
tell us more.
Old 08-25-12, 05:48 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Quote:

Originally Posted by mishkinm5

I Moded it to a complete AMS Alpha 9 package

tell us more.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...9/viewall.html

Basically he took a car that is insanely fast and made it utterly-mind-blowingly-insanely fast.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 08-25-12, 08:58 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

With huge respect to GT-R it's disappointing that Nissan priced it so reasonably and then made the service insanely expensive. That and the reliability can't touch Lexus'. IS F is amazing because it offers serious performance in a bulletproof and comfortable luxury package. That's a hard balance to strike.
Old 08-25-12, 09:57 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by jleonard71
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...9/viewall.html

Basically he took a car that is insanely fast and made it utterly-mind-blowingly-insanely fast.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Getting back into an IS-F must have felt like driving a Prius after piloting that thing. Good grief that's insane.

But, like so many people who end up building 700hp+ Supras, Vettes, and other cars, it ends up being a bit too much I guess. I had a friend that had a twin turbo'd Z06 (fastest car I've ever driven) but it was pretty much useless.