IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Question about Drive vs Automatic on IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-12, 04:54 PM
SaintLexus
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Question about Drive vs Automatic on IS-F

First and foremost.... I already tried search box on the forum before asking this question. So pardon me if I didn't find the right word combo.

Here it goes....I wonder if this is normal. It happened at least 3 times on me where I'd start my car and put it on "manual mode" but for some reason the mode was on or remained on "automatic" and it's not letting me change the gear via paddle shifters or the shift **** itself even though it's on "manual mode" unless I'd push the shift **** back to automatic mode and then switching it back to manual.

Again, nothing I did differently when I'm starting my engine as what I stated above.
So I was wondering if there's anything I'm missing?

Last edited by SaintLexus; 08-19-12 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-19-12, 05:16 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SaintLexus
First and foremost.... I already tried researching the forum before asking this question. So pardon me if I didn't find the right word combo.

Here it goes....I wonder if this is normal. It happened at least 3 times on me where I'd start my car and put it on "manual mode" but for some reason the mode was on or remained on "automatic mode " and it's not letting me change the gear via paddle shifters or the shift **** itself even though it's on "manual mode" unless I'd push the shift **** back to automatic mode and then switching it back to manual.

Again, nothing I did differently when I'm starting my engine as what I stated above.
So I was wondering if there's anything I'm missing?
I have a '12. When I place it into F mode, it stays engaged. Sounds like a visit is in order to Lexus.
Old 08-19-12, 05:18 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISF001
I have a '12. When I place it into F mode, it stays engaged. Sounds like a visit is in order to Lexus.
And...is the Sport setting being engaged with Manual "F" mode?
Old 08-19-12, 05:41 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure if its normal, since i never started the car and went straight to manual mode... I always change into manual after I get the car rolling... Interesting to know the truth behind this, hopefully the more experienced could chime in soon and figure it out. Sorry im no help
Old 08-19-12, 07:42 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would wait until the car is warmed up (oil temp reaches 2 bars) before putting it in manual mode
Old 08-19-12, 08:13 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

The only thing that I can think of is that you're too low on the RPMs, that's why the car is not shifting.
Old 08-19-12, 09:29 PM
xjason
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its happened to me just once. Just like the way you described it. Not sure what to make of it either. From now on, I just wait until the car is rolling for manual mode.
Old 08-19-12, 09:40 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You shouldnt have to wait for the car to warm up or let it roll first before engaging manual mode. Im going to agree with Juanca, sounds like it might possibly be the RPMs are not high enough to engaged the next gear you are trying to shift to. Its the same as if you are in manual mode and your RPMs are dropping so low that the car will "automatically" down shift for you even though you are in manual mode.
Old 08-19-12, 10:10 PM
SaintLexus
Pole Position

Default Manual

Thanks guys for the input.

Juanca The RPM was feasible enough for me to change gear. Again, I was in "manual mode" and not on the "D mode" which as we all know "automatic" yet the car was thinking I was in automatic and to top it off the screen showed "D" on the gauge cluster instead of M1 and so on. It's as if I was on automatic mode even though the shift **** was on "M".
I know this sounds redundant which what I am intending to do cuz I really want to make it clear.

I will wait for a few more responses over night and hope that someone has been in this situation before and was able to find a solution or the cause. If not, I'll call the dealer and perhaps set-up an appointment.

Originally Posted by Juanca
The only thing that I can think of is that you're too low on the RPMs, that's why the car is not shifting.

Last edited by SaintLexus; 08-19-12 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-19-12, 10:45 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

When you put it into manual mode are you seeing the F flash in the upper display at all, or is it not even doing that? I'm curious if the sensor/whatever mechanism for your gear shifter is simply not noticing you are going from D -> M.

It sounds like you'll have a hard time reproducing this at the dealer.
Old 08-19-12, 10:56 PM
SaintLexus
Pole Position

Default Mode

Forturnately... my reaction time was quick enough and used my phone to record the incident.

BTW....I didn't notice the "F" symbol flashing when I switched over to the D mode. But after reviewing my video the display was on Temperature.

Originally Posted by oztiks
When you put it into manual mode are you seeing the F flash in the upper display at all, or is it not even doing that? I'm curious if the sensor/whatever mechanism for your gear shifter is simply not noticing you are going from D -> M.

It sounds like you'll have a hard time reproducing this at the dealer.
Old 08-19-12, 10:59 PM
SaintLexus
Pole Position

I was pulling of of the gas station when the incident occurred.

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
I would wait until the car is warmed up (oil temp reaches 2 bars) before putting it in manual mode
Old 08-20-12, 08:09 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Well, with this additional info it sounds like an electric problem, not the tranny. The shifter should have some sort of internal switch that "switchs" from D to M when moving the shifter to the left, it looks like that switch is faulty, nothing that the dealer can't fix.
Old 08-20-12, 02:34 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Agreed. Flickering F sounds suspect.
Old 08-20-12, 05:19 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
You shouldnt have to wait for the car to warm up or let it roll first before engaging manual mode. Im going to agree with Juanca, sounds like it might possibly be the RPMs are not high enough to engaged the next gear you are trying to shift to. Its the same as if you are in manual mode and your RPMs are dropping so low that the car will "automatically" down shift for you even though you are in manual mode.
Good point and a reality of driving the F at low RPM.

Quick Reply: Question about Drive vs Automatic on IS-F