IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

BC Coilovers..best spring rates for comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-15, 04:00 PM
wing
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope I'm not highjacking the thread too much.

what would you recommend to keep a similar stock ride (09 car) and better performance on the track?

I know a lot of people like the out of box KW3 solution, but they are expensive. I'm thinking it would be less expensive to go with a good shock like a Koni or the BC and a different spring, ,16/12?

The track here is ultra smooth, so I'm just battling quick weight transfer left to right in a few complexes and nose dive in braking.

I don't really want to lower the car, although the front could go down a big, the rear already is slammed enough. Don't care about the looks just like going fast haha.
Old 03-01-15, 12:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by wing
Hope I'm not highjacking the thread too much.

what would you recommend to keep a similar stock ride (09 car) and better performance on the track?

I know a lot of people like the out of box KW3 solution, but they are expensive. I'm thinking it would be less expensive to go with a good shock like a Koni or the BC and a different spring, ,16/12?

The track here is ultra smooth, so I'm just battling quick weight transfer left to right in a few complexes and nose dive in braking.

I don't really want to lower the car, although the front could go down a big, the rear already is slammed enough. Don't care about the looks just like going fast haha.
Lexus raised the front of the car about 10mm (my guess) from pre-production to production to help reduce damage from parking lot stops and curbs. Although I haven't measured the chassis, I suspect the camber curves would look a whole lot better with the front just a little lower.

Mike's explanation of needing more spring for lowering the car omits one very important thing - as you lower the car, the roll center on the chassis gets farther away from the center of gravity, so the springs need to be a whole lot stiffer to provide the same roll resistance as the stock setup. The length of the roll couple (roll center to center of gravity) is like a lever on the chassis. The longer it is, the more spring rate you need to resist roll. This is also why some people with lowered cars like bigger swaybars.
Old 03-02-15, 12:51 PM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

having lived with BC's 16/12 in my daily driver for a few months i can honestly say a resounding "meh"

they don't really do anything well.

should have stuck with new OEM shocks at that price point.
The following users liked this post:
m1k3rz8 (10-22-18)
Old 03-02-15, 10:11 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
having lived with BC's 16/12 in my daily driver for a few months i can honestly say a resounding "meh"

they don't really do anything well.

should have stuck with new OEM shocks at that price point.
hmm I was going to purchase 16 / 12 and BC - not receiving the best responses from people especially over time.

What other better options are there? '13 stock shocks?

I have a 08 isf
Old 03-03-15, 11:34 AM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clarionguy
hmm I was going to purchase 16 / 12 and BC - not receiving the best responses from people especially over time.

What other better options are there? '13 stock shocks?

I have a 08 isf
I would stick to OEM at that price point, the BC were quite disappointing. If I had it to do over again I would have done '13 shocks, springs, and bumpstops. Only reason I didn't was the wait was too long.

Hell, I would have been happier with new '08 OEM shocks
Old 03-03-15, 01:07 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
I would stick to OEM at that price point, the BC were quite disappointing. If I had it to do over again I would have done '13 shocks, springs, and bumpstops. Only reason I didn't was the wait was too long.

you prob did the 16k/12k on the stock bc springs. having another member having 14k/10k regular bc coilovers vs mine with the upgrade swift springs, he said my car drives and feels a lot better. im sure we aren't on the same dampening. plus his made noises, mine coils are dead silent.
Old 03-03-15, 04:48 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 786

What setup procedure did you follow to tune your settings and what settings are you using? What ride height are you at? Often I get customers thinking they are preconfigured, They are only setup with initial spring preload, that is it. Its still up to you to make all initial adjustments to your preferences. We offer a lot of guidance when it comes to this to make sure you get what you want. We also stand behind our configurations with a satisfaction guarantee. There is a lot you can do with fine tuning with this rate.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 06-07-15, 10:41 PM
MR2QIK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I've got some 14/12 rate bc coilovers from an is350 (was via Figs). Are those rates ok for my 2011 ISF? The shocks were valved for those spring rates. Obviously they'll fit. Don't plan to go much lower than stock. 0.5 rear & about 1.0 front. I think the front is obviously ok, more worried about how it'd match with the rear slightly increased rate, or can I simply adapt to this with different dampening?

Cheers,
Jay

Cheers,
Jay
Old 06-08-15, 08:30 AM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I have BC coilovers with swift springs 16k/12k and I am very impressed with the performance at the price point (I can't speak to how the BC coilovers with BC springs work). Now I'm sure a better coilover like Penske would be light years better, but IMO the BC/Swift combo is way better than stock (2008). The ride is a bit firmer but the dampening is better so it is more comfortable overall...at least for my liking. I just got back from 2 days at Summit Point Raceway and my suspension worked very well...both of my instructors were absolutely blown away at how composed the car was at the limit for such a big car...of course my square sticky tires definitely played a part in that as well.

I haven't played around with the suspension tuning at all yet. It is set at whatever stiffness setting FIGS shipped it at and the ride is the ride height that FREED Engineering installed it at. I told them to keep the rear close to stock and lower the front to match the rear height. If I had to guess I would say the rear is about .25-.5" lower than stock and the front is 1" lower...just a guess though.
Old 02-08-16, 12:28 AM
infate
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MR2QIK
Hi everyone,

I've got some 14/12 rate bc coilovers from an is350 (was via Figs). Are those rates ok for my 2011 ISF? The shocks were valved for those spring rates. Obviously they'll fit. Don't plan to go much lower than stock. 0.5 rear & about 1.0 front. I think the front is obviously ok, more worried about how it'd match with the rear slightly increased rate, or can I simply adapt to this with different dampening?

Cheers,
Jay

Cheers,
Jay
Thinking the same thing for me. Any others want to share their views or opinions if they have this same setup b/c all I see are 16/12 or 14/10 opinions?
Old 02-08-16, 10:39 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by infate
Thinking the same thing for me. Any others want to share their views or opinions if they have this same setup b/c all I see are 16/12 or 14/10 opinions?
These are the rates we suggest based on the balance of the car, but also keep in mind a lot can be done to further improve rear end bumpsteer (waggle) with our other suspension components.
The 16/12 setup will give you a lot more dynamic damping settings to adjust without risking too much travel. The 14/10 setup is only for those looking for a little drop and no plans to modify anything else (tires, power, braking.) BC makes a great product, unrivaled for the price point and still one of our leading mods to couple with our suspension products to transform the car as a system, not just a single component upgrade.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 02-09-16, 09:34 AM
infate
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FIGS
These are the rates we suggest based on the balance of the car, but also keep in mind a lot can be done to further improve rear end bumpsteer (waggle) with our other suspension components.
The 16/12 setup will give you a lot more dynamic damping settings to adjust without risking too much travel. The 14/10 setup is only for those looking for a little drop and no plans to modify anything else (tires, power, braking.) BC makes a great product, unrivaled for the price point and still one of our leading mods to couple with our suspension products to transform the car as a system, not just a single component upgrade.
Mike
Thanks for the reply FIGS. I meant if it could be ideal to save some money and reuse the coilovers from my IS250. I have 14/12 spring rates on them, and was wondering if that extra 2k in the rears will dramatically impact the optimal performance of the car or could I just adjust the dampening setting accordingly and be happy I saved a grand.
Old 02-09-16, 08:01 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by infate
Thanks for the reply FIGS. I meant if it could be ideal to save some money and reuse the coilovers from my IS250. I have 14/12 spring rates on them, and was wondering if that extra 2k in the rears will dramatically impact the optimal performance of the car or could I just adjust the dampening setting accordingly and be happy I saved a grand.
Well if you were running 1412 on an is250 chances are you were pretty low. If you wanna run that low on an Isf you should probably just upgrade the front spring to a 16 K. We offer Swift spring upgrades but we could also get you a bc spring if that's what you have right now.
Mike
Old 02-10-16, 11:31 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

hey mike i have a questions for you, i have an '08 model with almost 90K miles on it an i am pretty sure the suspension needs to be replace or upgrade it. my question for you is what springs rates should i get to make the suspension better and more comfortable than the stock '08? i am no planning on tracking the car but i wanna improve handling and comfort on it, it is my daily driver and i am also keeping it stock for winter purposes and maybe lower it down 1 inch on the summer

thanks.
Old 02-11-16, 06:40 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackisF08
hey mike i have a questions for you, i have an '08 model with almost 90K miles on it an i am pretty sure the suspension needs to be replace or upgrade it. my question for you is what springs rates should i get to make the suspension better and more comfortable than the stock '08? i am no planning on tracking the car but i wanna improve handling and comfort on it, it is my daily driver and i am also keeping it stock for winter purposes and maybe lower it down 1 inch on the summer

thanks.
From reading this thread, the recommendation is 14/10 for comfort and no wheel mods

16/12 for a bit stiffer than OEM feel and wheel mods (wider tires and rims).

And most people are happy to choose upgraded swift springs over the BC springs

Quick Reply: BC Coilovers..best spring rates for comfort?