IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

wrap my intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-12, 07:57 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrap my intake

Does anyone know if there is a boot or special thermal wrap and where to buy it?
I want to wrap my SRT intake to prevent heat soak.

08 IS-F
swift racing technology intake, hid fogs, calibre K-40 radar, tint, drl bulbs, 3m 1080 black carbon fiber wrap on roof, carbon fiber roof spoiler, lightly smoked out taillights, alumapro bp-10 subwoofer, jl jx-500 amplifier.
Old 08-16-12, 08:19 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do a search and you'll find some posts about wrapping the intake pipe, even including the tape part #s. BTW, IIRC heatsoak wasn't the only problem with the SRT intake, the main issue was caused by the electronic circuit that had to be connected to the car.
Old 08-16-12, 08:25 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Juanca
Do a search and you'll find some posts about wrapping the intake pipe, even including the tape part #s. BTW, IIRC heatsoak wasn't the only problem with the SRT intake, the main issue was caused by the electronic circuit that had to be connected to the car.
I never saw anything about the circuit when I searched about info on the srt intake. It came with the car when I bought it. how do I know if it is hooked up properly? It does sound nice though I just searched wrapping the intake pipe and nothing came up..I am terrible at searching on this site.
Old 08-16-12, 08:54 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WRAPPING INTAKES:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-one-done.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...lo-to-all.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...t-plastic.html

SRT INTAKE:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-exhaust.html
Old 08-17-12, 04:11 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

You can usually find thermal wrap and tape at your local Advance Auto or Autozone.. Then again the gains from wrapping an intake (if there are any gains at all) pale in comparison to an exhaust and/or header upgrade. Then again, it is a cheap mod and probably won't hurt to do it. :-)
Old 08-17-12, 07:03 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

I wrapped my intake.. took it off..let it cool..and wrapped it with this anodized thermal wrap that blocks over 90% of all radiant heat. I need a new filter and then it's time for a custom exhaust
Old 08-18-12, 05:34 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boma
You can usually find thermal wrap and tape at your local Advance Auto or Autozone.. Then again the gains from wrapping an intake (if there are any gains at all) pale in comparison to an exhaust and/or header upgrade. Then again, it is a cheap mod and probably won't hurt to do it. :-)
Its not about gains... its about helping to maintain the potential from the added intake - if it helps to keep temperarures down then that's a good thing. I don't think anyone said anything about "gaining more"
Old 08-18-12, 08:29 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

yup..just trying to keep the air as cold as possible. The intake gets so hot because there isn't alot of room in the front of the engine with that big V8. I will post pics soon.
Old 08-18-12, 09:25 PM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

I would have considered this but the theory with heat wrap wouldn't benefit the intake temps in my opinion.

Heat wraps are mainly used for exhausts and headsets where you might benefit from retaining heat (for better scavenging effect) but on an air filter it'll defeat the purpose because it'll hold in the hot air for longer and won't give it a chance to cool down from any outside forces
Old 08-19-12, 07:40 AM
lexsane
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Defratos
I would have considered this but the theory with heat wrap wouldn't benefit the intake temps in my opinion.

Heat wraps are mainly used for exhausts and headsets where you might benefit from retaining heat (for better scavenging effect) but on an air filter it'll defeat the purpose because it'll hold in the hot air for longer and won't give it a chance to cool down from any outside forces
I disagree. air doesn't just sit in the intake pipe. it is flowing rapidly thru it. If you can reflect the radiant heat away then it will keep the pipe cooler than if it isn't wrapped
Old 08-19-12, 08:47 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Defratos

We are not talking about heat wraps. Heat wrapping an intake makes no sense...
Old 08-19-12, 09:26 AM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

There is a wrap that is a design that has a Velcro strip sewn into it for ease of putting it on or taking it off that is specifically made to block 95% of radiant heat. I do not know if it would be beneficial but that is what I would use if I were to purchase something. I could take it off for the shows etc. and put it on for regular driving. Again, I doubt you would see any difference in performance but in your mind.