Print Wikipost

New crash test ratings

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-12, 09:07 PM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default New crash test ratings

Looks like Lexus was rated poor on the overlap crash test. I wonder how ISF would hold. The cars tested were 2010 es and is 250.
Old 08-14-12, 09:57 PM
flyverylow
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no wonder my insurance is higher on this car than my Z06.
Old 08-14-12, 10:56 PM
Valkirk
Driver

Give the tests have only just happened I doubt they would have effected premiums yet. Slightly worrying performed so much worse than the 40% overlap though, would be interesting to see how the new GS scores - should give an idea on next gen IS.
Old 08-15-12, 05:34 AM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If Toyota responds to this it may mean the F will get heavier and more expensive.
Old 08-15-12, 05:41 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Yeah, I saw that article too. Sometimes I wonder what these tests really mean though. I have a hard time believing that modern cars with their 345235 air bags are less safe than cars made in the 90s. I think the government crash testing just gets more stringent every year, which in turn gives insurance companies reasons for jacking up their premiums, even though they probably pay out less than they used to. Now if you go back to the 70s and 80s where cars were made big and heavy, those things were tanks... but I'm sure I'd feel much safer in a 2013 Camry vs. a 1993 Camry.
Old 08-15-12, 07:02 AM
Valkirk
Driver

It means if you are going to hit something then hit it with as much of the front of the car as possible not a very small portion of the front corner.

The video was explaining the problem - the main crash members of most cars are for the majority of the front end, catching it only in the 25% front corner you lose most of the impact protection. The Volvo solution looked to be fairly straight forwards to implement without too much additional cost and weight
Old 08-15-12, 01:42 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dinardalvi
Looks like Lexus was rated poor on the overlap crash test. I wonder how ISF would hold. The cars tested were 2010 es and is 250.
The 2011-12 ISF would most likely respond quite differently. The following discusses reinforcements for safety (reinforced passenger compartment; chassis reinforcements, etc.) The F is a different animal.

ISF Safety/Security Features
Passive-safety technology in the IS F begins with a reinforced passenger compartment that helps protect the occupants with front-and-rear crush structures. Seatbelt pre-tensioners and force limiters are used for all seating positions.

In addition to advanced dual-stage front airbags and front seat-mounted side airbags, the Lexus Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) includes side-curtain airbags that extend from A-pillar to C-pillar, plus knee airbags for the driver and the front passenger.

The available Pre-Collision System (PCS) can help reduce collision damage. The package includes Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, which uses millimeter-wave radar to measure and maintain a pre-set distance from a vehicle traveling ahead. PCS relies on the radar sensor to detect obstacles in front of the car. The PCS computer, taking sensor inputs from vehicle speed, steering angle and yaw rate, is designed to determine whether a collision is unavoidable. In such a situation, PCS preemptively retracts front seat belts and pre-initializes BA so that increased braking will be applied the instant the driver depresses the pedal.

ISF Chassis/Body/Suspension/Tires/Brakes
The Lexus IS F is based on the robust IS platform, which was engineered from the start to allow a high dynamic envelope. The stiff body structure and the rear subframe are connected through several reinforcements. Much of the IS F development took place at racetracks around the world, including Germany's legendary Nurburgring Nordschleife, Circuit Paul Ricard in France, Japan's Fuji Speedway and the Higashi-Fuji Technical Center in Japan. Fuji Speedway is the IS F's home circuit, and the shape of its turn one inspired the F logo design.

Although using the basic double-wishbone front suspension and multi-link rear suspension configurations of the IS platform, the IS F features a multitude of track-proven modifications. The IS F sits an inch lower on its suspension than the standard IS models, which lowers the center of gravity and helps provide a quicker handling response.

Spring and damper rates are increased, and larger-diameter stabilizer bars are used. The rear-suspension control arms are specific to the IS F to optimize geometry for the 19-inch wheels. In addition, the monotube shock absorbers use a larger-diameter piston rod. As on other IS models, the sophisticated shock-absorber design utilizes multi-leaf linear control valves to help improve damping force, and rebound springs offer improved body control without degrading ride comfort.

Subframe suspension mounts are stiffer than on other IS models to help reduce sway and enhance control under acceleration and braking. The engine mounts are also stiffer for a more direct feel. Special jounce stoppers on both the front and rear suspension come into play early in the compression stroke to help reduce the sway angle when cornering and to reduce dive when braking.

The IS F features an all-new 19-inch forged-alloy wheels by BBS® with a distinct dark-gray finish and an asymmetrical 10-spoke design. The front wheels are 19 x 8.5J, with 225/40R19 tires and 19 x 9.5J in the rear, with 255/35R19 tires. Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 and Bridgestone Potenza tires were each developed specifically for the 170-mph track capability of the Lexus IS F. High-rigidity hub unit bearings are engineered for rigorous, high g-force track driving. The direct-type tire pressure monitor system allows two sets of tires to be registered, giving the customer the benefit of a system with a set of track tires or winter tires. The multi-information display indicates the tire selector switch.