IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

any issues with high mileage IS-F's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-12, 12:18 PM
zmw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default any issues with high mileage IS-F's?

I've owned a ton of lexus and toyota vehicles and currently have a 167k mile GS430 - but am considering a 95k+ mile ISF - are there any issues on the higher mileage cars? Having the GS that has been bullet proof the entire time has spoiled me, and my supra is around the same mileage (although I did finally pop a motor at 900whp)

The previous owner claims the nav system has been replaced (is this normally an issue) out of warranty.

It's an all dealer maintained car, black on black is my only fear considering I live in Texas ;P

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 07-17-12, 12:47 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm the wrong person to be commenting since my 08 has ~24k.....

But to answer your question there are plenty of members that are pushing 80K + miles with little to no issues. The main issues with SOME 08's are: leaky water pump, pulling to right, blown subs, shaky rearview mirror. Notice I capitalized and bolded the word "some", since not all 08's have these problems. Minor problems are bound to happen since 2008 was the first year it the F came out, although most of these problems were fixed in the later years.

Still, the Lexus reliability and quality can't be beat. I'll take these minor problems over major electrical issues for comparable German/American cars.......any day of the week.
Old 07-17-12, 12:59 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ

But to answer your question there are plenty of members that are pushing 80K + miles with little to no issues. The main issues with SOME 08's are: leaky water pump, pulling to right, blown subs, shaky rearview mirror. Notice I capitalized and bolded the word "some", since not all 08's have these problems. Minor problems are bound to happen since 2008 was the first year it the F came out, although most of these problems were fixed in the later years.

Still, the Lexus reliability and quality can't be beat. I'll take these minor problems over major electrical issues for comparable German/American cars.......any day of the week.
But that is a contradiction to your future car the porsche which is German!... just messing with ya.

To the op I'm not sure why you would want a high mileage car but I'm sure you have reasons. My suggestion would be before you buy it test drive it and make sure to check in the manual want needs to be done for high mileage service because it might cost you a few and with that you probably could buy a lower mile F.
Old 07-17-12, 01:03 PM
zmw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frankly I buy high mileage cars because I put LOTS of miles on them - a 95k mile ISF has already depreciated the majority of what it's going to depreciate, and with dealer maintenance it's been my experience that well maintained high mileage cars are often more reliable than low miles cars not maintained to the same standard.

I am well acquainted with high mileage toyota and lexus cars, just not directly with the ISF - my GS430 has been rock solid for almost 100k miles (I bought it with 67) my supra just ticked 165k miles, and my wife's land cruiser just rolled 80 - I have no reason to think the ISF would be any different than the rest of my toyota ownership has been but I'm looking for known issues that I can check for prior to buying.

Make no mistake about it, the primary reaosn for buying a 95k mile ISF is because you can get one in the 20s rather than high 30s or low 40s
Old 07-17-12, 01:33 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zmw
Frankly I buy high mileage cars because I put LOTS of miles on them - a 95k mile ISF has already depreciated the majority of what it's going to depreciate, and with dealer maintenance it's been my experience that well maintained high mileage cars are often more reliable than low miles cars not maintained to the same standard.

I am well acquainted with high mileage toyota and lexus cars, just not directly with the ISF - my GS430 has been rock solid for almost 100k miles (I bought it with 67) my supra just ticked 165k miles, and my wife's land cruiser just rolled 80 - I have no reason to think the ISF would be any different than the rest of my toyota ownership has been but I'm looking for known issues that I can check for prior to buying.

Make no mistake about it, the primary reaosn for buying a 95k mile ISF is because you can get one in the 20s rather than high 30s or low 40s
so ur reason of buying one would be cuz of the lower cost point...nothing wrong with that. I felt the same way as you did. my mom still have her 1988 toyota 4runner and its at 295k miles and still going. I never drove a toyota or lexus until I first got my 2IS back in 06. I traded it for the F due to the value and fun factor out of it, plus it was a no brainer cuz my monthly payment only increase by $10 each month. well good luck in your search for the F
Old 07-17-12, 01:46 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
But that is a contradiction to your future car the porsche which is German!... just messing with ya.
That's why I said comparable German cars Teo ... targeting certain German cars as most people here would know, the ones in the same league as the ISF... a 911 turbo or 911 GT3 isn't in the same league...
Old 07-17-12, 02:07 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I plan on putting 200k on this car...

I had 196k on my G35...

Lets see how she holds up!
Old 07-17-12, 02:49 PM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndGF

Same here. I already have 79500 right now and bought it with 24k on it. So far on my 08 I have had the water pump and sub woofer replaced under my CPO warranty. The rear view mirror is starting to bother me too so might see if I can get that replaced next oil change. Other than those things and tires I have had to do anything. I am only finally getting ready to replace my first set of brakes as well but then again most of my miles are on the highway.
Old 07-17-12, 02:57 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VtotheJ

POINT is...look at your own post...Lexus GS430 and the Supra...
I have owned nothing but Toyota/ Lexus since 1995 and my 1995 Corolla is sold to a friend of the family and is still driving around, my old 1997 ES300 is now my brothers car and is running like a dream and still smooth and silky.

I defected in 2003 when the new Infiniti G35 Coupe came out (what a POS!!)
I waited for Toyota to build something like the F and they did...because quality means something to me

U'll be fine with the F
Old 07-17-12, 03:02 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC ES3
POINT is...look at your own post...Lexus GS430 and the Supra...
I have owned nothing but Toyota/ Lexus since 1995 and my 1995 Corolla is sold to a friend of the family and is still driving around, my old 1997 ES300 is now my brothers car and is running like a dream and still smooth and silky.

I defected in 2003 when the new Infiniti G35 Coupe came out (what a POS!!)
I waited for Toyota to build something like the F and they did...because quality means something to me

U'll be fine with the F
Hmmmmm.... my G35 was awesome!!! I had ZERO problems at 200k miles when i traded it in to get my F. The only thing that ever happened to me with that car was the moonroof got stuck once... that was it! - but I guess to each's own!!
Old 07-17-12, 03:51 PM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at my car listing....in Texas and sounds perfect for you! Not to mention comparing mine to the one your looking at with similar pricing is a no brainer.
Old 07-17-12, 07:10 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmmm.... my G35 was awesome!!! I had ZERO problems at 200k miles when i traded it in to get my F. The only thing that ever happened to me with that car was the moonroof got stuck once... that was it! - but I guess to each's own!!
My G37 was flawless. Traded it on the F for more Powa!
Old 07-17-12, 07:25 PM
scrosby
Driver

I had 196k on my G35...

You DO drive a helluva lot! Good thing you're rollin in style...
Old 07-17-12, 07:26 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

i have the blown sub problem and shaky mirror problem, car has no warranty on it...how much do yall think its gonna cost me to fix?
Old 07-17-12, 07:34 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

I bought my 08 with 50k on the clock and after 10k miles I have had zero issues. Just a single oil change.

The only things to look out for that may be expensive to fix is a rough tranny and electronics issues. Besides that the rest is easy to deal with. I honestly feel that the first thing "to go" is going to be electronic since there is so much of it in the car.

To find a 90k car is pretty amazing to me. That means nearly 25k miles per year which is crazy. But it HAS to be highway cruising miles.

Tread with caution but with my car I bought a 3rd party warranty for around $2k which gives me 50k+ more miles of 100% coverage. You may want to just do something like that.

Quick Reply: any issues with high mileage IS-F's?