IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Sikky header clearance

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-12, 12:46 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sikky header clearance

I've noticed a weird sound when turning and accelerating aggressively, to the left to be more exact. Brought it to the shop, jacked it up and had a look. on the left driver side headers, you can see that the heat padding is kinda burnt from contact, while on the right, there is no padding and the gap is slightly less.

So I assume the sound is from the headers hitting the chassis from the whole engine shifting to the right due to the g-forces. What can I do about this, since there is no more room to shift everything to the left? I assume after racking miles up, it will cause scratches on the header, will that cause rusting?

Thanks,
J
Old 07-13-12, 01:29 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

after installing did the shop do a subframe alignment or adjustment?
Old 07-13-12, 02:05 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

Let's just assume no for now, and i'll ask them later. How much would it be? Researching it looks like just 4 bolts that gets loosened.

My other question is since the drivers side clearance is also so tight that the padding is melted, so wouldn't moving it to that direction just shift the problem from one side to the other? Or is it designed so that there is 'just enough' clearance once the gap between both side are equal?

I see myself bringing the f to the track in the future to see how well it does, so it'll be under much higher g forces then what it's seeing with spirited driving on the streets.

Thanks
Old 07-13-12, 02:34 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ FYI..

It doesn't take that much force for the engine & trans to shift left & right..

It already happens on simple left & right turns... with normal street driving..

~ Joe Z
Old 07-13-12, 03:55 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ FYI..

It doesn't take that much force for the engine & trans to shift left & right..

It already happens on simple left & right turns... with normal street driving..

~ Joe Z
So that means I'm screwed cause the clearances don't have room to play with?
Old 07-13-12, 04:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

You don't need to turn to twist the engine in the mounts. Just step on the gas. Remember our buddy Newton? Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. So when you step on the gas, the engine winds up on the mounts as it supplies torque to the drivetrain. Not much you can do about that short of different engine mounts.
Old 07-13-12, 04:42 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

So that's probably why I sometimes get it during sport+m mode redline shifts too.

Is it worthwhile to try making the clearance left and right equal, and risk having the contact turning left AND right?
Old 07-13-12, 04:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Equal is not your best bet. The engine rotates toward the passenger's side under acceleration, so get some clearance left, and more clearance right to allow for the engine flexing in the mounts under acceleration.
Old 07-13-12, 05:31 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

Would it also mean the engine flexes to the left under hard braking then?
Old 07-15-12, 07:00 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

How are you the only one to have rubbing problems from sikky... there are over 50 people with the headers now and your the first to have a serious rubbing issue. Was the install done correctly. I know for a fact during installation there are a few pieces of heat shielding taken out... was this piece one that should have gone?
Old 07-15-12, 01:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by eoph
Would it also mean the engine flexes to the left under hard braking then?
Only in manual mode when the torque converter is locked up, but it still won't be as much as accelerating because the cylinder pressure on deceleration is nearly nothing compared to acceleration. In the old school days, drag racers would limit the left hand engine mount with a chain to keep the engine from twisting too far.
Old 07-15-12, 01:41 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by darbs242
How are you the only one to have rubbing problems from sikky... there are over 50 people with the headers now and your the first to have a serious rubbing issue. Was the install done correctly. I know for a fact during installation there are a few pieces of heat shielding taken out... was this piece one that should have gone?
He wouldn't be the only person to have a rubbing problem with the sikky headers. A local guy had a defective set that caused rubbing.
Old 07-15-12, 08:04 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ learn something new everyday. I was unaware there had been some bad ones. I have one of the earlier sets, they have been on for 2 1/2years and about 25k now and i have never had an issue with anything.
Old 07-16-12, 07:44 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ Ask JM Lexus about Sikky headers and you'll have your answer, they've installed at least 4 sets already and about the same number of issues.
Old 07-17-12, 09:00 AM
eoph
Pit Crew

So here's the update:

I brought it to the shop, and they've tried moving the subframe toward the driver's side to the max. After, I get no sound turning right as usual. Turning left I get less sound when hammering it, and sometimes no sound when turning slowly/smoothly. So since the bolts are maxed already, am I screwed?

Quick Reply: Sikky header clearance