IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F Engine ECU uncrackable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-12, 10:03 AM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IS-F Engine ECU uncrackable?

I remember when the GT-R came back Nissan said no would able to crack the ECU and within a week or so a Japanese tuner cracked it. So my question why hasn't any body been able to crack the ECU in an IS-F? Is it that bulletproof???
Thanks in Advance
-MjThind
Old 07-13-12, 10:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i have yet to see a real crack on any of the lexus ecu
Old 07-13-12, 10:11 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation Breaking News....

Because TOYOTA ECU's are:

~ Joe Z
Old 07-13-12, 10:13 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Le search is going to be your new friend
Old 07-13-12, 10:26 AM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We need a sticky on this question. It'll have a first post asking the question and then a second that says: "No!"

and then

P.S.

If you can't take a simple no for an answer, you're welcome to search the other 3000 threads on the topic.
Old 07-13-12, 10:47 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

and tons of reverse engineering.

you first gotta get past the microcontrollers security feature(s) i.e. security fuse, and erasing itself when you try to extract/access the ECU image =) if you dont, you just bricked your ECU. You can try to access the bootloader if it has one, but if you dont know the seed/key, same result.. it's gonna be a pita
Old 07-13-12, 04:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

There are very few options. USDM ECMs have never been cracked. JDM ECMs have been reflashed by some of the tuning shops in Japan, notably Tom's.

Is it uncrackable? No, but it can't be done economically. Has anyone done it? Not since I've been following this subject after I got my first Supra in 1994. Can you crack everyone else's stuff? Pretty much.

The only solutions are piggyback because you lose functionality of too many other systems if you remove the OEM ECM and go aftermarket.

I have repeatedly told anyone who will listen we need a motorsports ECM for Toyota/Scion/Lexus engines but there has been no movement on this. Notice even the CCR has the OEM horsepower rating, so either they didn't touch the programming or they're not telling the whole truth about what they did to those cars.
Old 07-13-12, 05:34 PM
staman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mjthind
I remember when the GT-R came back Nissan said no would able to crack the ECU and within a week or so a Japanese tuner cracked it. So my question why hasn't any body been able to crack the ECU in an IS-F? Is it that bulletproof???
Thanks in Advance
-MjThind
Nissan wanted the GT-R ECU to be cracked. They're not stupid. This way they appease the japaneese government and the US gear heads at the same time. Without a crack there's no market for high performance mods like turbo/super charging. They also seem to sell more GTR's than F's . Figure that....

Last edited by staman; 07-13-12 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-14-12, 11:58 PM
rsfootball
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has been cracked by a company in Japan. GReddy USA is working on finding affordable solution to bringing it to the States. It's also been tested with a successfully with a supercharger.
Old 07-15-12, 12:37 AM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

^^ are u talking about lems being the company that cracked it?
Old 07-15-12, 08:39 AM
staman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rsfootball
It has been cracked by a company in Japan. GReddy USA is working on finding affordable solution to bringing it to the States. It's also been tested with a successfully with a supercharger.
Thats a JDM ECU they are using. USDM ECU is a different story..
Old 07-15-12, 11:36 AM
rsfootball
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by staman
Thats a JDM ECU they are using. USDM ECU is a different story..
Not necessarily as I'm waiting on pricing for my Isf.
Old 07-15-12, 01:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

If I only had a dollar for every time I've heard this story...

iCode and Toms both have modified maps available for JDM ECMs. They will not work with a US market ECM. We already know this.

Toms had a supercharger for the 2GR-FSE years ago with modified engine maps to suit the boosted configuration, so it doesn't surprise me they would do the same for the 2UR-GSE. There was an IS350 owner with a US market car who had this done in Japan. I seriously doubt this car still has a US spec ECM in it.

So, getting pricing isn't going to solve the problem. Getting a working reflash is the real issue, and I'll bet you'll be telling us in a couple of months it couldn't be done for some obscure reason.
Old 07-15-12, 01:15 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just curious, it maybe off topic since I'm not quite familiar with this.

How about the team sponsored cars for competition? Are those supposedly unlocked for the teams to be able to touch freely or those are locked as well?
Old 07-15-12, 02:28 PM
rsfootball
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If I only had a dollar for every time I've heard this story...

iCode and Toms both have modified maps available for JDM ECMs. They will not work with a US market ECM. We already know this.

Toms had a supercharger for the 2GR-FSE years ago with modified engine maps to suit the boosted configuration, so it doesn't surprise me they would do the same for the 2UR-GSE. There was an IS350 owner with a US market car who had this done in Japan. I seriously doubt this car still has a US spec ECM in it.

So, getting pricing isn't going to solve the problem. Getting a working reflash is the real issue, and I'll bet you'll be telling us in a couple of months it couldn't be done for some obscure reason.
you sound like the people who said I wouldn't have be able to modify my GTR when I first bought one back in 2008 and now I have the worlds quickest customer owned one at 8.7 sec. So don't hate. Just enjoy the build.

Quick Reply: IS-F Engine ECU uncrackable?