IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

PPE Headers Catless Owners.. Please chime in

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-12, 02:49 PM
FastPaced
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPE Headers Catless Owners.. Please chime in

Hey guys, sorry for another topic that might have been answered before but I just want to hear the advice of anyone who owns or has had experience with this type of setup. I already have a Joe Z exhaust and placed an order for PPE headers yesterday. I'm just wondering whether I should order some high flow cats as well or leave it as it. Is the smell from the fumes that bad? Does it make the sound too raspy? All opinions or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 07-06-12, 02:52 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Y would u want cats ? more restriction less power smell u wont notice when u drive even windows down.
Old 07-06-12, 03:28 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

No cats, no smells, sounds great.
Old 07-06-12, 03:29 PM
RX7 RAGE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get it with no cats.
Old 07-06-12, 03:55 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
No cats, no smells, sounds great.
It sounds FREAKEN amazing!!!!!
Old 07-06-12, 03:59 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

u will lose around 10hp which is the estimate from Lou's dyno when he had cats compared to the ones without. I see however that your on the eastcoast which we have emission testing. I'm not sure how it is in NY emission testing are done but I could see why u would want cats. I would suggest getting cats if u don't have ur stock exhaust on you. If you do have ur stock exhaust, go catless and when ur doing the emission testing just put on ur stock exhaust just incase. oh yea where are u getting them installed? let me know if you don't know where to go.

Originally Posted by FastPaced
Hey guys, sorry for another topic that might have been answered before but I just want to hear the advice of anyone who owns or has had experience with this type of setup. I already have a Joe Z exhaust and placed an order for PPE headers yesterday. I'm just wondering whether I should order some high flow cats as well or leave it as it. Is the smell from the fumes that bad? Does it make the sound too raspy? All opinions or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 07-06-12, 04:14 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

What testing? If u need too lolz slip a guy 200$ call it a day n . No where is more strict than Cali .
Old 07-06-12, 04:14 PM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be the first to admit that yes you can smell gas with PPE headers. I noticed it all the time. It is a little raspy as well. I honestly liked the sound of my setup before the PPE headers. I like the more exotic sound as opposed to a deep grumble mustang- like sound. Getting cats with headers is almost pointless. Your spending 2k as it is for a 32-34 WHP gain. With cats your price goes up 500 dollars and the performance drops by 10 horse. As far as emission testing goes just pay the 150.00 bucks for the "fudge" job at the dmv....
Old 07-06-12, 04:27 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I can smell gas but just slightly and only when driving with the windows down (which does happen too often with this heat wave across the east coast!) With the windows up there is no smell at all. The sound is different at lower RPMs, like staman said above it sounds like an angry mustang, but once you step on the gas the sound is amazing, it shows the difference between the 5.0 Ford engine and the Yamaha-tuned Lexus engine!
Old 07-06-12, 04:28 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

I have never ever smelt gas... Windows down, hot weather... weird!
Old 07-06-12, 04:59 PM
madastep
Pole Position

yea, i don't smell gas unless i'm in the garage and it sits for a second. The sound is way more refined than an angry mustang, it really is a differant sound. I hang out with a buncha guys with camaros, mustangs and vette's and they don't sound anything like my car.
Don't order the cats, they only problem you'll have with the Joe Z exhaust is it uses the factory tips, which you'll have to keep polished cause they will get build up from being heated up and having catless exhaust going through them.
Old 07-06-12, 07:33 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Well I guess I'm the voice of dissent here. I have PPE with cats and a modified dual exhaust utilizing stock mufflers. I have HiFlow cats because, well It's the responsible thing to do. Have I lost power, the dyno says yes, but only above 5500 RPM. I'm down 11+ HP from a friend's F with PPE, no cats and a JoeZ Exhaust. BTW, the graphs I'm attaching were run back to back on the same day on the same dyno.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails PPE Headers Catless Owners.. Please chime in-louvsjose2-1.jpg  
Old 07-06-12, 08:22 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"It's the responsible thing to do."
Old 07-06-12, 08:49 PM
DonTN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Luckily the smaller towns around me don't do emissions, so I just get my car registered there.
Old 07-07-12, 10:41 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

I ran catless for a few months and the smell and drone got to be too much for me, so I had cats put on... No more gas smell, less rasp and drone and still sounds BADASS!!!

Quick Reply: PPE Headers Catless Owners.. Please chime in