IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Heated throttle body mod....

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-12, 10:40 AM
mishkinm5
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heated throttle body mod....

I decided to bypass the throttle body coolant lines to try and keep take air temps down. This is a factory installed option only to accommodate diverse climates so that the throttle won't freeze up. Most of us don't live on the north pole so here is what i did.

You first need to remove the intake elbow and unplug the temp sensor. This will give you enough room to work with.

I then removed the inlet throttle body coolant line and capped it off with 5/16" cap and 1/4" over that to make sure it never explodes and stays sealed.

I then casually disconnected the drain side which is the longer side from the throttle body. I put a rag underneath so that the few dropped of coolant won't drip in the engine bay. It will take needle nose players to get that hose off without removing the throttle body.

I then removed the other side of the hose and the intake drain assembly and capped it off using the same setup as the intake side. 5/16" cap and then 1/4" over that and reused the hose clamps from stock hose.

Put everything and together and you are ready to go! This mode cost me $4, so even if i gain 1 hp i won't feel that bad at all.

Here are the pics.
Attached Thumbnails Heated throttle body mod....-img_0691.jpg   Heated throttle body mod....-img_0690.jpg   Heated throttle body mod....-img_0692.jpg   Heated throttle body mod....-img_0693.jpg  
Old 07-13-12, 10:47 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to do this when I get back home. Nice thread
Old 07-13-12, 11:27 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

I don't get what this mod does. LOL. Is the throttle body exposed like that all the time?
Old 07-13-12, 11:28 AM
mishkinm5
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO picture was taken to show the capped of lines under the throttle body. Please read the whole write up.
Old 07-13-12, 04:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

This is an old school mod. The reasoning is, if the throttlebody is heated, it raises air temperatures in the manifold. This completely ignores the reality of the massive temperature drop the throttle blade induces at low throttle openings (which is why the OEMs do this - not because of Arctic air temperatures, but because the throttle blade can ice up and stick in high humidity environments at low throttle openings). It also ignores the resident time at WOT or any other time when high temperature would be a problem. Finally, warming the air at low throttle openings improves efficiency - if you look at IAT from the perspective of pure thermal efficiency, you'll figure out pretty quickly (as Smokey Yunick did back in the 80s) that warm air works better to atomize the fuel.

So, way back in the 80s when fuel injection was pretty new, lots of amateur tuners thought it was a good idea to take the heat out of the throttlebody. I've seen this debated plenty over the years. I've seen people claim all kinds of stuff about whether it does or doesn't work and seen before and after dynos supporting both claims.

If it makes you feel better, try it. I'll bet a lot it won't make any measurable difference in performance. The thing I do know for sure, if your throttle blade ices up and sticks, you'll be punching and holding the START button to get the engine stopped.