IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Passport & Battery Tender Hardwire and wash before the rain

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-12, 02:49 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Passport & Battery Tender Hardwire and wash before the rain

I thought I'd try to get a couple of things done on the new "F" before the thunderstorms hit today.

Battery Tender - We like to keep our cars on a battery tender (Deltran) when not in use. wanted a permanent mount rather than the clips. Real simple on this car. Positive to the Positive tap on the battery. Just behind the Air Filter Box is a ground tap. I prefer not to use the battery negative.

I use a PASSPORT 9500ix and prefer to have it hardwired. I also prefer a window mount just above the dash so I can see and use the controls. It turns out to be pretty easy on our cars. Below is a link for the install I did on my IS250, if your interested. There were only a couple of minor changes I did here.

It is a straight drop from the dash speaker access to the drivers side under dash area and a coat hanger quickly snakes the cable through. In the "F" with the ML system there is a center speaker (there was none on the 250) if you pop the speaker you can pull the cable through and there is enough clearance for the cable with the speaker bolted back down. I also notched the underside of the speaker grill cover ( I didn't do this with the 250) so that the cover would sit properly (there was a little rise to the speaker cover in the 250 where the cable came out).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-hardwire.html

Then a quick wash and the deluge started just as I closed the garage door.
Old 06-22-12, 07:12 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI don't use the Battery Tender JR on our cars. I have one for the bike and I wondered if I could use it on the F. I called up Deltran and they advised not to use the JR as it would never have enough juice to charge the battery completely and might even drain it.
The regular sized Battery Tender is fine though
Old 06-22-12, 07:27 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
FYI don't use the Battery Tender JR on our cars. I have one for the bike and I wondered if I could use it on the F. I called up Deltran and they advised not to use the JR as it would never have enough juice to charge the battery completely and might even drain it.
The regular sized Battery Tender is fine though
I use a regular Deltran not the Jr. Thanks for the advice
Old 06-24-12, 10:23 PM
NERD42
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Valentine One it is hardwired so I can have the radar on and everything else off, so that the it will still function when I am stationary for a longer period of time and do not want the car on.