IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Contemplating an ISF... coming from a 99 GS400

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-12, 09:27 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Well one thing for sure is the GS400 and the ISF are night and day from each other.

If you like the GS, I am not sure you will like the ISF. I had a GS430 and ditched it because it was boring to me and hardly drove it. It was a great car for what it is but definitely not for me.

Their ride/amount of room/character are apples and oranges. If you have not done so, do definitely drive one first. Like I said, they are totally different cars from each other.

Price wise, you gotta pay to play just like in anything.
Old 06-11-12, 05:46 AM
Lev
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a lot in common with you. Just sold my 98 l-tuned everything GS400 with 19"mayas staggered for a pristine 08 MM ISF with 34K miles. I was considering a 2010 but didn't want to shell out an extra ten grand. I qualified for a lexus platinum 8 year 75K extended warranty so good to go for peace of mind. I'm not to concerned about the body change in the near future as I know the 08 body style will satisfy me for many years just like the the 2nd gen GS did for all those years. You can always chase the latest greatest of anything but father time always wins. Still can't believe I'm driving this beast! Good luck searching!
Old 06-11-12, 10:12 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Autobacs
Well one thing for sure is the GS400 and the ISF are night and day from each other.

If you like the GS, I am not sure you will like the ISF. I had a GS430 and ditched it because it was boring to me and hardly drove it. It was a great car for what it is but definitely not for me.

Their ride/amount of room/character are apples and oranges. If you have not done so, do definitely drive one first. Like I said, they are totally different cars from each other.

Price wise, you gotta pay to play just like in anything.
Ditto on this as well...I had a 2009 GS 350, dropped in an Fsport air intake, tried to make it more than it was. It just did not get my adrenaline flowing.

If you have not driven an ISF, you probably have no idea what you are stepping into for a ride. We're talking about drastically different animals--a true driver's car with lots of spirit for the road and track. You will not really know the car until you have logged a couple thousand miles.
Old 06-11-12, 10:53 AM
silverlexg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
Ditto on this as well...I had a 2009 GS 350, dropped in an Fsport air intake, tried to make it more than it was. It just did not get my adrenaline flowing.

If you have not driven an ISF, you probably have no idea what you are stepping into for a ride. We're talking about drastically different animals--a true driver's car with lots of spirit for the road and track. You will not really know the car until you have logged a couple thousand miles.

I've driven an 08 USB that was listed locally by a toyota dealer - they didnt really let me open it up or get on it (they didnt want to even let me drive it.. like it was unusual that a 20 something might have the means to buy such a car). Anyways - I didnt get to put it into sport mode or experience the sub second shifts.
Old 06-11-12, 10:58 AM
silverlexg
Driver

Also - the 08 USB had its front end repainted poorly (overspray on the headlights etc). Pretty craptastic for a car they were asking 40K+
Old 06-11-12, 10:59 AM
LBmtb
Driver

Without sport mode it honestly felt slower than my old IS350 (unless your'e WOT). Sounds like you need a real test drive.
Old 06-11-12, 11:27 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LBmtb
Without sport mode it honestly felt slower than my old IS350 (unless your'e WOT). Sounds like you need a real test drive.
he'll be driving mine in the next few days... if not tonight...
Old 06-11-12, 11:58 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LBmtb
Without Sport, the electronic throttle is intentionally dulled for driving in town and heavy traffic. This is the "granny" mode.

Toggle the steering-wheel mounted Sport mode and slide the gearshift into Manual. This dials down the electronic steering assist, sharpens the throttle and gearbox mapping, and changes (loosens) the traction control settings.

This is the F. Now take that for a low ride.

Surprising, in this manual mode, the shifts are faster than the LFA, i.e., around 1/10 of a second for the ISF versus 2/10s of a second for the LFA. Go figure...
Old 06-11-12, 07:26 PM
silverlexg
Driver

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
he'll be driving mine in the next few days... if not tonight...

Haha - yep... 2nd test drive was much better :-p ERDoc74's 2011 ISF is a sweet ride - tasteful mods and wicked fast must continue search for a MM ISF - hopefully a 2010 if I can swing it.

If anyone hasn't heard/seen the hidden mirror radar/laser displays - that's sick! I'll let ERDoc74 talk about it but that's deffinetaly on my todo list :-) todo list is getting long ...

Edit - thanks to ERDoc74 for dropping by, great ISF :-)
Old 06-11-12, 11:57 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

No problem! Glad to help out a future fellow F owner!
Old 06-17-12, 09:29 PM
silverlexg
Driver

OK - found a 2009 SP with Terra Cotta interior for 40k ... only downside is nearly 50k miles.. thoughts?

I also found a 2010 MM with 20k miles for 46k ... 46 is a bit more than I want to spend but I do get the LSD and suspension improvements... and the upgraded NAV, and 30k fewer miles. But that Terra Cotta interior is sexy :-) Its the first Ive seen for sale.
Old 06-18-12, 01:56 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Well if your paying with cash the 46k can be negotiated i'm sure..

Interesting enough is i didn't realize so many members were going from GS4's to IS-F.. I to thought about going that route but couldn't swallow spending that right now and having the hefty car payment.. I know the IS-F is light years ahead of the GS but the GS still makes me smile when i punch it. Besides at almost 66k miles on the GS it still has some life left for a few more years. My ideal IS-F would be the way S4play has his setup.. I've liked that since day one..
Old 06-18-12, 06:19 AM
silverlexg
Driver

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Well if your paying with cash the 46k can be negotiated i'm sure..

Interesting enough is i didn't realize so many members were going from GS4's to IS-F.. I to thought about going that route but couldn't swallow spending that right now and having the hefty car payment.. I know the IS-F is light years ahead of the GS but the GS still makes me smile when i punch it. Besides at almost 66k miles on the GS it still has some life left for a few more years. My ideal IS-F would be the way S4play has his setup.. I've liked that since day one..
Yea - the GS400 has been a great car for me - its quick (not fast) and has been very reliable (ive had it 10+ yrs). I absolutely recommend Lexus products. Its amazing but short of the usual maintenance items (belts, fluids, battery etc) the only items i've replaced are the ball joints and starter - which are realistically maintenance items as well. The car is solid. Mine has 200k on it and its tired

I looked over the 2010 for $46k and the intake pipe isnt stock (everything else looks stock from the photos) so that has me wondering... I really dont want a modded one :-) Thats my job

I've done some searching but havent found a good site/page about the changes in the 2010 navigation - anyone know of a list of the differences? ERDoc74's 2011 Nav has a great resolution and quality to it - is that the same in the 2010?

* forgot - I also changed the sparkplugs and struts (twice, every 100k :-) )

Last edited by silverlexg; 06-18-12 at 06:24 AM.
Old 06-18-12, 07:54 AM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silverlexg

... the LSD and suspension improvements...
2010 has the LSD but the same suspension as 08-09.
the suspension re-work didn't happen until 2011.
Old 06-18-12, 09:25 AM
silverlexg
Driver

Originally Posted by caveman
2010 has the LSD but the same suspension as 08-09.
the suspension re-work didn't happen until 2011.
Doh - you're right. I must be confusing the 2010 with 2011. ERDoc74s was a 2011 - must have been checking the differences.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...w_features.pdf

Quick Reply: Contemplating an ISF... coming from a 99 GS400