IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

what is the best method of shifting in manual mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 12:51 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I turn on the car, I go straight to manual and sport mode without warm up. But of course, I do let it run a bit before I go off driving.
Old 06-07-12, 01:07 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lexsane
looking for some feedback....
is it best to hold the gear as long as possible and hear the beep or shift sooner?
also is the F faster in sport auto or sport manual..??

08 IS-F
SRT-Intake- 3m black carbon fiber wrapped roof- cf roof spoiler- smoked tailights- led drl bulbs-
blue hid fogs-tint-calibre k-40 radar.
yo, what's good lexsane? last time i saw you was at squeaky clean. from your sig i see you wrapped your roof and installed the roof spoiler. did you post pics so CL can see that beast? happy modding and will see you soon.
Old 06-07-12, 01:26 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2011s and 2012s are easily running 4.4 without a complex shifting strategy in the m mode with sport enabled.

Steve did video of his new 2011 running a 4.4...There have been changes in the car over the year, so there is no doubt some acceleration improvement in the later years. Regardless, give it a glance:

Perhaps, the Torsen limited slip differential has some impact.
Old 06-07-12, 01:32 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Weapon F
The 3,780-pound IS-F gets to 60 mph in 4.8 seconds and does the quarter-mile in 13.2 seconds at 109 mph, trailing the RS4 to 60 mph by about a half-second and to the quarter-mile by almost as much. This is with the stability and traction control systems off

Really? 13.2 when I had my IS350 I was pulling 13.4 and 13.5 all day long, Edmunds is possibly one of the worst sources for accurate info pertaining to any sport oriented vehicle not just F but for any car. Edmunds constantly produce the slowest 0-60 times, 1/4 mile, worst skip pad numbers,lateral g, braking distance you name of any automotive rag, that includes Internet. Real world number can be found at some of different forums out there, or Internet sites like Dragtimes.com, you can compare time from some of automotive mag such as MT, CD, Automotive etc to get average time or you can use the best way, and find out for yourself. Just head out to you local track especially on test and tune day and do couple of passes in controlled environment and see for yourself what the car can do and have blast while doing it.
IMO, Edmunds is a joke.
Old 06-07-12, 02:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

^^ starting with 3780 for the weight. Obviously they didn't put it on a scale. Mine is definitely lighter than that.

Old 06-07-12, 03:09 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

Maybe the weight has to do with moonroof vs no moonroof?
Old 06-07-12, 03:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

My car has the moonroof. If I'd had any sense I would have got a moonroof delete, but such is life. My car weighs 28 lbs less than Edmunds (and Lexus) say it should weigh. With about another 5 gallons of gas, it would be at the Lexus number.
Old 06-07-12, 08:09 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

what up syd! I still have to set up a flicker account to post pictures..
when i was driving on the highway today i was shifting after holding the gear in high rpms by the beep and lower at like 5000-5500 rpms...the lower seemed faster...since i'm only getting 8 to 10 miles per gallon or less because i'm addicted to the F growl...its hard to tell whats faster anymore..
Old 06-08-12, 01:53 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexsane
what up syd! I still have to set up a flicker account to post pictures..
when i was driving on the highway today i was shifting after holding the gear in high rpms by the beep and lower at like 5000-5500 rpms...the lower seemed faster...since i'm only getting 8 to 10 miles per gallon or less because i'm addicted to the F growl...its hard to tell whats faster anymore..
you have issues dude LOL LOL, addicted to the F growl. you must spend all your time at the gas station LOL. i feel you though. i open up my F-Sport sometimes just to listen to her growl, not to often though. i'm still trying to figure out the manual/paddles because i've never driven a manual car. i'll get the hang of it soon,,,, i'm a quick learner.
Old 06-08-12, 02:20 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Gs fsport ? is not really paddle shifter is a gear limiter=same as IS350, same as IS250. It doesnt change gears lolz.
Old 06-08-12, 05:35 PM
gpomp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Weapon F
The 3,780-pound IS-F gets to 60 mph in 4.8 seconds and does the quarter-mile in 13.2 seconds at 109 mph, trailing the RS4 to 60 mph by about a half-second and to the quarter-mile by almost as much. This is with the stability and traction control systems off

Really? 13.2 when I had my IS350 I was pulling 13.4 and 13.5 all day long, Edmunds is possibly one of the worst sources for accurate info pertaining to any sport oriented vehicle not just F but for any car. Edmunds constantly produce the slowest 0-60 times, 1/4 mile, worst skip pad numbers,lateral g, braking distance you name of any automotive rag, that includes Internet. Real world number can be found at some of different forums out there, or Internet sites like Dragtimes.com, you can compare time from some of automotive mag such as MT, CD, Automotive etc to get average time or you can use the best way, and find out for yourself. Just head out to you local track especially on test and tune day and do couple of passes in controlled environment and see for yourself what the car can do and have blast while doing it.
Edmunds tests cars differently than anyone else. They don't factor in a 1 ft rollout as you would have at the drag strip. Every other magazine uses rollout times for acceleration.

The term "rollout" might not be familiar, but it comes from the drag strip. The arrangement of the timing beams for drag racing can be confusing, primarily because the 7-inch separation between the "pre-stage" and "stage" beams is not the source of rollout. The pre-stage beam, which has no effect on timing, is only there to help drivers creep up to the starting position. Rollout comes from the 1-foot separation (11.5 inches, actually) between the point where the leading edge of a front tire "rolls in" to the final staging beam — triggering the countdown to the green light that starts the race — and the point where the trailing edge of that tire "rolls out" of that same beam, the triggering event that starts the clock. A driver skilled at "shallow staging" can therefore get almost a free foot of untimed acceleration before the clock officially starts, effectively achieving a rolling-start velocity of 3-5 mph and shaving the 0.3 second it typically takes to cover that distance off his elapsed time (ET) in the process.

We believe the use of rollout for quarter-mile timed runs is appropriate, as this test is designed to represent an optimum drag strip run that a car owner can replicate at a drag strip. In the spirit of consistency, we also follow NHRA practice when calculating quarter-mile trap speed at the end of the run. So we publish the average speed over the final 66 feet of the quarter-mile run, even though our VBOX can tell us the instantaneous speed at the end of the 1,320-foot course, which is usually faster.

On the other hand, the use of rollout with 0-60 times is inappropriate in our view. For one, 0-60-mph acceleration is not a drag-racing convention. More important, it's called ZERO to 60 mph, not 3 or 4 mph to 60 mph, which is what you get when you apply rollout. While it is tempting to use rollout in order to make 0-60 acceleration look more impressive by 0.3 second, thereby hyping both the car's performance and the apparent skill of the test driver, we think it's cheating.

Nevertheless, some car magazines and some automobile manufacturers use rollout anyway — and fail to tell their customers. We've decided against this practice. We publish real 0-60 times instead. But in order to illuminate this issue and ensure we do justice to every car's real performance, we've begun publishing a clearly marked "with rollout" 0-60 time alongside the primary no-rollout 0-60 time so readers can see the effects of this bogus practice.
Old 06-08-12, 06:04 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

All things being relative, the published 0-60 times for most cars are all based on a common methodology used by the car reviewers. So, the published numbers are all suitable for comparative purposes. I believe what I see, such as videos like Meade's, i.e., no rolling start, no remarkable heroics, and a true 4.4.

We all make far too much about this one measurement of performance. All the F owners know that when it comes to pure performance in the mid to upper end, few performance cars on the road can keep up.

Yaguchi-go runs like the stallion it was designed to be.
Old 06-08-12, 10:11 PM
lexuz125th
Driver

One problem I have with that lovely sound indicating to shift, is that why didn't Lexus think that if you are driving at the track you must wear a helmet and on top of that windows must be down. When all the proper safety procedures are done, unless you have some insane ability to hear the sound to shift gears then you must be working for lexus. I guess they figured it out later and put the indicator lights into the dash, so you know when to shift by looking at the lights.
Old 06-08-12, 10:36 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blitz_714
Gs fsport ? is not really paddle shifter is a gear limiter=same as IS350, same as IS250. It doesnt change gears lolz.
i would like to understand. i stated in my post that i've never driven a manual car. what's the diff btwn sport mode and paddles in the ISF as opposed to the GS F-Sport? Gear limiter?
Old 06-08-12, 11:43 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
i would like to understand. i stated in my post that i've never driven a manual car. what's the diff btwn sport mode and paddles in the ISF as opposed to the GS F-Sport? Gear limiter?
The Lexus IS F features an 8-speed Sport Direct Shift (SPDS) automatic transmission with sequential shift which can lock-up the torque converter from 2nd through 8th gears.The wheel-mounted paddle shifters allow for gear shifting while steering, and a manual mode can be selected for added control.

The IS250 & IS350 &new GS, GS fsport the paddles are not shifters. You can't shift the car yourself for any year. You're entirely imagining a difference in a feature the car doesn't even have.

The paddles are top-gear limiters only. For every year of 2IS.

Test drive an IS-F if you want to feel what real shifters feel like.
The new GS or GS sport share identical engine as the IS350.

more on this thread here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-06-08-a.html

Quick Reply: what is the best method of shifting in manual mode