IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

PPE Headers, Ceramic Coating.. Worth It??

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-12, 07:47 AM
RichieISF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPE Headers, Ceramic Coating.. Worth It??

So us Aussie Are getting our PPE Headers...in bout 2 weeks, My Question is while there off Should I have them Ceramic Coated , or leave them as they are...

What are the Advantages of getting them done...??

Richieisf.
Old 06-03-12, 09:13 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Won't they already be coated from PPE??

Mine were.

~Dv8
Old 06-03-12, 09:44 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

They come standard with JetHot ceramic coating

Lou
Old 06-03-12, 07:15 PM
RichieISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
They come standard with JetHot ceramic coating

Lou
And Im assuming thats good.?:thumb up: cause i see on the PPE website you can hav the extra coating put on them , for like an extra $60, well the best quote I've gotten here in AUSSIE is around the $300 mark., and so id rather get them done there with Paul and the boys.. maybe you could hav a work with them Lou..?:thumb up: please mate..

Richie
Old 06-03-12, 07:24 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

actually the black ceramic or extra coating is free if your in the group buy.
Old 06-03-12, 09:46 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^But, he's not in the Group Buy, because he's in Australia and needs the RH drive version.

As far as the JetHot goes, the standard silver finish is enough even for hot climates. I'm in the Phoenix Arizona and it gets plenty hot here. 115F+ (46+C) I really don't think you need anything more. Again, PPE's distributer in Australia is Lexus of Chatswood, and they set their prices with little or no input from PPE.

Lou
Old 06-04-12, 12:25 AM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz

As far as the JetHot goes, the standard silver finish is enough even for hot climates. I'm in the Phoenix Arizona and it gets plenty hot here. 115F+ (46+C) I really don't think you need anything more. .

Lou
Not sure why you believe there is a relationship between the coatings and climate. The purpose of the JetHot coatings is to prevent exhaust heat from escaping the system. The more heat you keep in the system, the higher the velocity of exhaust gases. The higher the velocity of exhaust gases, generally, the better exhaust scavenging you will have. Since our motors are large air pumps, the more air that can be exhausted, the more air (within limits) the motor can ingest. The faster, more efficient exhaust flow will result in the incremental reduction in pumping losses, with the headers themselves contributing the most to this, and an increase in power. The black coating is good to 2000-degrees and, because FIGs really knows his stuff, has been selected as the coating of choice for this group buy.
Old 06-04-12, 12:42 AM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

They come with ceramic coating from the PPE factory. I believe the $60 is for the black coating that they charge.
Old 06-04-12, 07:18 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KJH
Not sure why you believe there is a relationship between the coatings and climate. The purpose of the JetHot coatings is to prevent exhaust heat from escaping the system. The more heat you keep in the system, the higher the velocity of exhaust gases. The higher the velocity of exhaust gases, generally, the better exhaust scavenging you will have. Since our motors are large air pumps, the more air that can be exhausted, the more air (within limits) the motor can ingest. The faster, more efficient exhaust flow will result in the incremental reduction in pumping losses, with the headers themselves contributing the most to this, and an increase in power. The black coating is good to 2000-degrees and, because FIGs really knows his stuff, has been selected as the coating of choice for this group buy.
I know Figs knows his stuff. But JetHot 2000 is overkill IMHO and is really not needed for our application. See JetHot descriptions:

http://www.jet-hot.com/coatings/jet-hot-extreme-1300/

http://www.jet-hot.com/coatings/jet-hot-extreme-2000/

Lou
Old 06-04-12, 04:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by KJH
This sounds very familiar...