IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Smartphone based remote start

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-12, 08:58 AM
walt48416
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smartphone based remote start

I want to get a remote start system for my 2011 ISF...obviously I'm annoyed that this isn't an available feature with my keyfob and damn sure do not want to carry around two fobs...

So, does anyone have remote start installed on their ISF with a Smartphone app? Reviews seem generally good for http://www.viper.com/SmartStart/ this.

Thanks!
Old 06-02-12, 10:55 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

service plan boooooo
neat but boooooo
Old 06-02-12, 01:23 PM
boostftw
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can always get a key card for your wallet and use the viper fob+ smartphone for remote-start and 2 way paging.
Old 06-03-12, 10:08 AM
walt48416
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by boostftw
You can always get a key card for your wallet and use the viper fob+ smartphone for remote-start and 2 way paging.

I spent about an hour with the installer @ Best Buy this morning. Problem with this one is that it would require leaving a key in the car because of the chip.

In fact, to the best of our investigation the only solution is to install a faraday box in the vehicle that would be very well hidden somewhere in the dash compartment and then installing whatever remote system I chose.

He said that the way it is constructed, if someone broke into the vehicle they would need to gain access to the box, break it open, and remove the key for them to be able to start the car. He also said this is the most common work around for push button start vehicles of any make when there isn't an electronic bypass kit available...which we couldn't locate one online for the ISF and it APPEARS as though only other IS models are supported (I'd love if someone could confirm that though).

So, the question is...the odds are so remote that someone would a) know about the box in the vehicle and, b) be able to successfully locate it and finally, c) would have the knowledge and expertise to be able to remove it, would you do this?

He told me that if someone who wasn't him, but was an installer knew there was a faraday box in the vehicle but didn't know where, it would take them way in excess of 3 hours to remove it (if they were stealing it). I asked him how long it would take if someone knew exactly where it was (like him), and he said if he wanted to get to it, it would still take him 2 hours.

So, does anyone have another solution (or this one)?
Old 06-04-12, 01:58 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Why do you want a remote start if you live in Texas? Even in winter time weather it's not cold enough to remote start the car.
2. Not only push-to-start cars but most new cars will need a hidden key, they need a signal back from the transponder in the key/key fob.
3. I wouldn't trust BestBuy kids messing up the wiring system on my ISF.
4. A real thief won't need to find the key fob, they'll get your car regardless of the alarm you install.
5. I hope you're paying cash, otherwise you just left records of where they might find your car.
Old 06-04-12, 04:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I was going to say - it takes about 2 minutes to steal a car with a flatbed. Then you have all the time in the world to sort out keying issues before you ship the car to South America for sale. If your desire is remote start, I wouldn't stress about leaving a key in the car. You can't have it any other way.
Old 06-04-12, 04:30 PM
liebsaz
Driver School Candidate

i was also disappointed this feature wasnt available but that seems like a lot of work for a small convenience.
Old 06-04-12, 04:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Considering how easily one can hack a car's security system, I'm kind of glad they didn't add another method of exploiting the car's insecurities.
Old 06-05-12, 01:51 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Excuse my question but what the heck is a Faraday box?????

It it like a gun vault?
Old 06-05-12, 04:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

An EMI shielded box.
Old 06-05-12, 05:32 PM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I was going to say - it takes about 2 minutes to steal a car with a flatbed. Then you have all the time in the world to sort out keying issues before you ship the car to South America for sale. If your desire is remote start, I wouldn't stress about leaving a key in the car. You can't have it any other way.
Unless the car has a Boomerang or similar device. Then not only are they going to find the car but most likely the whole operation....
Old 06-05-12, 08:29 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

... and what about the car not locking the doors if you leave the key fob inside the car? That would be another challenge!
Old 06-06-12, 04:59 AM
Lev
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please do not let best buy touch your F.
Old 06-06-12, 06:56 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
An EMI shielded box.
Yes but how does this box take 2-3 hours to open as stated by the op?

Unless it was a vault of some kind, and yes I agree letting best buy work on anything high end is a bad idea!
Old 08-29-12, 07:50 PM
Gotspd2
Driver School Candidate

Bumping this up to see if there is a clear path for adding remote start to an isf... Anyone?

Quick Reply: Smartphone based remote start